Things Could Always Be Worse

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Much has been written about AD FOOly and his choice of Mac as the HBC for the Gators.
But hey, what if he had decided to go in a different direction than Jimmy. Here are some other
guys that he could have called that had the head coaching experience FOOLy coveted:
Terry "Tater Tot" Bowden: Now the head coach for the Zips, Terry lead Auburn to a great
season before falling from grace with the man behind the scenes, Bobby Lauder. Sacked
in favor of Tommy Tubberville, Terry had a stint before the cameras as a sports announcer, although
much of the time it appeared not to know what camera to look into. He went back into coaching in
Alabama before venturing up north to the cold climate of Ohio. Just imagine having a Bowden patrolling
the sidelines of The Swamp, craning his neck looking up at the players who tower above him.
Now that would have been good!

00I0I_3cVtGBZRbjy_600x450.jpg

01717_gxPQZy922oN_600x450.jpg

Charlie "Great Weight" Weis: Hired as Willie's first OC, Sir Charles enjoyed (albeit undeserved),
a reputation as some sort of a quarterback guru. Brought in to resurrect Brantley's sagging career, Johnnie struggled mightily under Tubby's coaching. Sitting along side of Charlie on the bench, Brantley always seemed to be in a fog. When the University of Kansas job opened up, Charlie bailed. Lasting just a few short years at Kansas, he managed to pull off the near impossible and, after being shown the door by a frustrated administration, left the Jay Hawks in even worse shape than he found them.
Had FOOLy made the call, you can bet that Weis's main concern would have been the size of the buyout he could force UF to pay him after they too tired of him. Ah, but we missed the sight of Charlie destroying all those ice chests he would have sat on!
Now that would have been even better!

00R0R_e0vWr9mD2ZK_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_TrVPEMcdka_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So in your opinion the only other coaches that were avail were Terry Bowden and Charlie Weis? I'm going to assume this is just a sarcastic post and I am missing the point of it.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
So in your opinion the only other coaches that were avail were Terry Bowden and Charlie Weis? I'm going to assume this is just a sarcastic post and I am missing the point of it.
The point is that regardless how bad of a choice many think Mac was, it certainly could have been much, much worse!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Oh goody, a bad coaches thread. Here's a few more.

72640523-colorado-v-nebraska.jpg.jpg

92589821-south-carolina-v-tennessee.jpg.jpg

56278267-louisville-cardinals-v-syracuse-orangemen.jpg.jpg

Dan_Hawkins-Colorado.jpg

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
The point is that regardless how bad of a choice many think Mac was, it certainly could have been much, much worse!
But it also could be much better. We could have gotten Franklin if we paid him and would be in a completely different position right now. Why look at how it could be worse it's already bad. I don't know about you but I want to imagine it being better not worse

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I know for a fact that there are hires that could have been made that I would have AT THE TIME liked less than McElwain. I DO NOT know for a fact that any of those coaches would still have UF with a 100+ offense in their 3rd season after being hired in to fix the offense. So NO I don't know that it could be worse today.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with Insti, I don't believe any HC with a 50-50 track record could "lead" UF to a 100+ offense.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I think if kiffen had stayed at UT, he would have had success. He was brash and recruits liked him.

I was glad to see him go

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
BS!!!

None of those coaches are as bad as Mac.

Why do you guys keep looking for worse coaches than Mac? IMO, Mac is the worst of all time. I know thats harsh and it's also a reality that most fans don't want to come to grips with. But we suck at every aspect of football. Offense, special teams and defense are all well below average. The in game adjustments and motivation are also substandard. So, what does Mac do well? The only net positive to having Mac has been the facility upgrades. And I'm not so sure how much he actually had to do with that.

Give it up. Mac is the worst P5 coach of all time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is true that Butters does nothing well. Cant recruit, cant field an offense, defense or STs which is why I keep wondering why "keeping him would be best for the program" as some like to say.

Hiring competent coordinators might help but they will leave.

Really cant think of anything he adds to the mix.

As for Dooley, he is likely our next OC and would be a dramatic improvment. Not really sure how we can make fun of anyone when we have the Butters N Nuss show.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
It is true that Butters does nothing well. Cant recruit, cant field an offense, defense or STs which is why I keep wondering why "keeping him would be best for the program" as some like to say.

Hiring competent coordinators might help but they will leave.

Really cant think of anything he adds to the mix.

As for Dooley, he is likely our next OC and would be a dramatic improvment. Not really sure how we can make fun of anyone when we have the Butters N Nuss show.
Yeah that's what baffles me also.

We used to have a good time making fun of the horrible hires at other SEC programs, but when you have Mac it takes the fun out it.

Hell, I don't even like hearing jokes about Muschamp any more. At least Champ could put together a hellacious defense. Before Champ got canned I thought there was no way I could ever want a coach gone so bad.

But in steps Mac...

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'm not the biggest Mac fan, but I'm also curious to see what it would be like if we had a different OC who hadn't been driven out by Saban and failed spectacularly at Michigan.

No doubt we won the past few years with Champ's defensive talent. I'm willing to give a fourth year if Nuss is gone, but I hear that may not be happening.

On a side note, anyone else listen to Gainesville radio and get tired of hearing Zach Abolverdi insist non-stop that the problem isn't Nuss, it's 100% QB? Then he acts like LDR dominates games. I don't care if it's Grier, Treon, LDR, Appleby, or Franks, you can have a top-100 offense by adjusting the Offense to their strengths. I think Nuss is ass, but as I've said elsewhere many times, the longer we keep Nuss the more intertwined his fate is with Mac's

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator