To hell with Georgia

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The playoffs could and should have been expanded to 12 this year instead of 2024. The powers that be let certain lesser P5 commissioners influence pushing it to 24. So whether it’s screwing FSU, Texas, or Bama this year, the committee has no one to blame but themselves. A 12 team playoff would have been a ratings juggernaut this year and provided some great football viewing for the next six weeks. Bastards….
Or even 8.

That said, I can’t recall a year with 3 undefeated P5 champions and 4 majorly deserving 1-loss contenders. There has always been hype about that possibility 9-10 games in but it tended to sort itself out.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I was timing it. It took 15 minutes to use this thread to bash the Gators. I'm proud of you guys, I thought it would be half that time.

It's okay to hate on our rivals no matter how much we suck.
It's OK to hate on them but it's also OK to learn from them....being irrational and stating UGA and UF are the same is delusional no matter how you look at it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've never not wanted Kanell's balls in my mouth. Let me be me!
Anthony Anderson Lol GIF by ABC Network

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hes such an idiot, deserve? we all deserve something, Heck Liberty "deserves" to be in the playoff. It’s about the 4 best teams playing for the championship. Letting FSU in because they deserve it is ignoring the reality that without Travis they are not the 4th best team. Might as well just give everyone participation trophies because they deserve it and call it day. Frickin nole
With Travis they still sit with by far the lousiest strength of schedule of the contenders AND the weakest P5 conference. The AAC is never great but was really bad this year with Clempson down.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think expanding beyond the games we already have is a mistake. What needs to happen is the CGs simply need to be part of the playoff. It is beyond stupid to play the CGs and THEN vote on the playoff.

The easiest fix is for the committee to take the current formula and rank the teams that are playing in the CGs BEFORE the CGs are played. After the CGs are played, the 4 highest ranked winners move on. The important thing to keep in mind with this concept is that the committee rankings are NOT simply a mirror of the AP/coaches polls. In effect you have the committee determining who the "best" 8 or 10 teams are, then using the CGs as the first round of a playoff.

This keeps HUGE emphasis on the regular season and even more emphasis on the CGs. Another pivotal part of this system is already coming to fruition, which is getting rid of divisions so that the best two teams in the conference play the CG, which would have put OSU instead of Iowa.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not a playoff if a committee still has to select teams...it's just expanded BCS.

I think FSU should be left out for the 4 "best" teams reason. But, undefeated conference champ of a power conference has to mean something
I agree . It means that the ACC is a lesser conference . Texas and Bama are much better than FSU and have more impressive
Wins

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think expanding beyond the games we already have is a mistake. What needs to happen is the CGs simply need to be part of the playoff. It is beyond stupid to play the CGs and THEN vote on the playoff.

The easiest fix is for the committee to take the current formula and rank the teams that are playing in the CGs BEFORE the CGs are played. After the CGs are played, the 4 highest ranked winners move on. The important thing to keep in mind with this concept is that the committee rankings are NOT simply a mirror of the AP/coaches polls. In effect you have the committee determining who the "best" 8 or 10 teams are, then using the CGs as the first round of a playoff.

This keeps HUGE emphasis on the regular season and even more emphasis on the CGs. Another pivotal part of this system is already coming to fruition, which is getting rid of divisions so that the best two teams in the conference play the CG, which would have put OSU instead of Iowa.

That makes a lot of sense. Is there an even number of championship games?

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Whatever agreement the conferences THINK they have in place for next year's 12 team playoffs -- particularly as it applies to selecting at large teams -- will undergo immediate review if the SEC gets left out of the playoffs today. SEC Commish Greg Sankey is always thinking 2 moves ahead.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Idk, I think a valid argument can be made that its about the 4 best teams, and anyone who has watched the last 2 nole games objectively can see it is a much different team without Travis, that is a clear fact. So ya, they have had a nice season, congrats on winning conference, but are you one of the four best teams now? There is no way FSU would be favored to beat or compete with Bama, UGA, or Texas on a neutral field the way that offense looks.

I get what you are saying but it's not FSU's fault their QB got hurt....they shouldn't be punished for it IMO

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That makes a lot of sense. Is there an even number of championship games?
It doesn't matter. You still take the 4 highest seeded winners.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Whatever agreement the conferences THINK they have in place for next year's 12 team playoffs -- particularly as it applies to selecting at large teams -- will undergo immediate review if the SEC gets left out of the playoffs today. SEC Commish Greg Sankey is always thinking 2 moves ahead.

The only thing expanding the playoffs will do is make the 13th team whine about not getting in as well as having a national champ who has a couple losses and therefore isn't the best team

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Injuries are part of football, other teams have them too. I question your hate for fsu if you think they deserve some special consideration.

You know damn well if it was reversed and UF was left out because we didn't have Mertz you would throw a fit.....

Yes FSU would be the weakest of the 4....but they are undefeated...what more do you have to do? Make sure all the players still healthy now? They still beat a good team last night....

Take your O&B glasses off and admit you shouldn't be penalized for something out of your control

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator