Top Billin’ Breaks Down Defensive Performance

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like Torrence made a lot of errors also....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Id expect it out of a true freshman forced to play too early due to Ole English forgetting to land safeties in the first two classes.

Then again who knows what Ole English teaches them.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is easily fixable. Fathead Todd is going to play the two backups next game. You know, like he replaced Stiner and Taylor with Davis and Stewart the last two years when he finally realized Stiner and Taylor sucked homeless azz.

Does Deet know this, he is an expert on the subject.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He’s going to. But remember, if we don’t play guys like Black, Haden, Dunlap and Wright in 2007—while living with their mistakes—we don’t win a title in 2008. We weren’t winning anything with Anderson and WPL, and Meyer recognized that. Mullen needs to understand that by year’s end these guys could be considerably improved if they get real reps. Stiner, Brunson, McWilliams, even Moon, have played a ton to this point. This is who they are. This is their ceiling, and it’s why some of us here are so focused on ratings out of HS. For every Trask, who exceeds his billing, there are 3 dozen Stiners who play exactly as projected.

Pure athleticism will eventually make plays. A lack of that will only do so in some very obvious, easy situations(see Nix to DS last year).

This offense has the chance to do something this year if the defense can hold up. May as well put the best player on the field, and at least give ourselves a shot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen needs to understand that by year’s end these guys could be considerably improved if they get real reps. Stiner, Brunson, McWilliams, even Moon, have played a ton to this point. This is who they are.
Want to bet?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For every Trask, who exceeds his billing, there are 3 dozen Stiners who play exactly as projected.

Maybe one out of every 500 2 stars play beyond their billing.

as for Trask, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a QB who didn’t start at a position in high school become a Heisman contender. Ever.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Id expect it out of a true freshman forced to play too early due to Ole English forgetting to land safeties in the first two classes.

Then again who knows what Ole English teaches them.

English (or Grantham....or Mullen) really f*cked up the 2019 class by signing ZERO Safeties. The 2018 class had Randy Russell and John Huggins - Russell was immediately ruled ineligible, and Huggins lasted barely a year. Had either of those guys panned out we probably wouldn't have had to force Torrence onto the field. But to go an entire class w/out signing a Safety? WTF? We can do this with DT also. The only DT on the roster from 2018 or 2019 is Humphries and he didn't play Saturday. smh

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This was still a good video and the answer to the question of Florida's defensive struggle was answered in the first 6 minutes.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Disagree on the first td by ole miss. It looked like we were rolling coverage from a cover 2 look to a cover 3 and middle safety just didn't get there.

What I see is too many defenders want to be the guy to make the play rather than they guy who does his job. That is how you give up huge plays (like that double pass). I teach there is no way in hell a deep middle safety is making the tackle in the backfield. Too much ground. You are back for a reason. We should have had two DBs back on that pass and we had none.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
English (or Grantham....or Mullen) really f*cked up the 2019 class by signing ZERO Safeties. The 2018 class had Randy Russell and John Huggins - Russell was immediately ruled ineligible, and Huggins lasted barely a year. Had either of those guys panned out we probably wouldn't have had to force Torrence onto the field. But to go an entire class w/out signing a Safety? WTF? We can do this with DT also. The only DT on the roster from 2018 or 2019 is Humphries and he didn't play Saturday. smh

the only good news is that our DL has like 4 guys over 280lbs on the DL last year. I think we have 8 this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And ILBs? :)

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

I am not sure who was where, just looking at what the 2 safeties seem to do at the snap. Honestly, unless we KNOW the call, it's all a guessing game.

I ran a cover 2 look rolling to cover 3 at the snap and it just confused the hell out of qbs. Other times, I would stay in it, then switch it up to cover 0 .

One this is for sure is we were confused and not on the same page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.