Trask or Allen next year as starting QB?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Does either QB give us a chance to win next year? I’m done with Franks, and Corrall has yet to sign. I think a transfer QB would really help us.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask played in a run heavy offense. Doesn’t mean much, but he may pick it up quicker

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask played in a run heavy offense. Doesn’t mean much, but he may pick it up quicker
Lulz you kean he DIDNT play bc his team ran the option. LDR, Trash and Allen are goners. They have zero role innthis kind of offense.

Franks may be better than you expect. This is more of his speed. Much to learn though. Hope he is killing himself in the weight room.

Wondering if Zaire tries for that sixth year.

Otherwise expect freshmen, probably not Corral, handling the bulk of the snaps.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to completely write off Franks until someone other than butters and nuss coach him up.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, not Franks. He'd flounder in this offense just like he floundered this year. You've got to be able to make reads and snap decisions and then have at least a modicum of elusiveness if you decide to run the ball. I've seen none of that from him and I just don't think he's got enough football instincts upstairs.

Of all the possible existing candidates I would think Corral or Toney would be the most likely. If you've watched tape of Corral you can see that he's able to run the ball pretty well. At least as well as the kid from UCF and he's been very effective. And though it's obvious he has the running part down, I haven't seen much tape of Toney throwing the ball. Of course there's always the JUCO wild card possibility.

At least there will be a lot more anticipation and excitement heading into next year if only to see how things unfold.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, not Franks. He'd flounder in this offense just like he floundered this year. You've got to be able to make reads and snap decisions and then have at least a modicum of elusiveness if you decide to run the ball. I've seen none of that from him and I just don't think he's got enough football instincts upstairs.

Of all the possible existing candidates I would think Corral or Toney would be the most likely. If you've watched tape of Corral you can see that he's able to run the ball pretty well. At least as well as the kid from UCF and he's been very effective. And though it's obvious he has the running part down, I haven't seen much tape of Toney throwing the ball. Of course there's always the JUCO wild card possibility.

At least there will be a lot more anticipation and excitement heading into next year if only to see how things unfold.
Agreed that Corral probably has to step in and go from Day 1 and at least he'll be able to go through spring ball and summer to get used to it. Hopefully Mullen doesn't scare him away chasing after Fields

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Trask will likely never play a down here but he can throw the ball pretty darned good. I think Allen has alot to prove and who knows, he may never play here either. I hope he does, he is a real gator.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Agreed that Corral probably has to step in and go from Day 1 and at least he'll be able to go through spring ball and summer to get used to it. Hopefully Mullen doesn't scare him away chasing after Fields

So if Corral decided to flip to Bama and UF had chosen not to reconnect with Fields out of "respect" for Corral's commitment, then what? You're left with no QB because you were trying not to offend the guy who has taken a visit to a rival school. I trust Coral signs with the good guys but I'm guessing he understands the idea of competition.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to completely write off Franks until someone other than butters and nuss coach him up.

When a kid has the on-field problems, slow-thinking problems like Franks, is there 'private' tutoring he can employ over the off-season that can improve him. How about some scientific-geek to do reflex training with him.

Toney has the highest H.S. QB completion % than any QB to come to UF. But can he take the pounding? Sure would be exciting watching Toney break loose repeatedly. If Toney can handle the quick thinking, broad WR reads, and carry over his 65% completion rate, seems like he could be another Lamar Jackson type. I bet beforehand, on paper nobody could have predicted Jackson's success?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Corrall's measurables on the scouting sites have him around 180, and we know that recruit measurables are inflated 5-10 percent regularly. You really want a guy thats at best 180 pounds running the tebow/dak/fitzgerald offense?

Either mullen changes things up so that the qb plays a roll very similar to auburn's currently does, and corrall shows real ability to succeed on designed runs (not just scramble a bit when a play breaks down) or someone else is going to be running the offense.

I feel like I've been saying this over and over. And it's not a complicated issue.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
IMG_0781.JPG

If Corrall or Fields don't come, it may be the Franks show!!!! Have confidence, this guy is tough as nails.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why do people think the only scheme Mullen knows is the giant QB offense? He has coached plenty of smaller QBs with success, including Chris Leak.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Why do people think the only scheme Mullen knows is the giant QB offense? He has coached plenty of smaller QBs with success, including Chris Leak.
No one is saying that. I sure didnt. What I said was mullen has to change up how he employs the QB. That happened when he was an OC under Meyer, but I havent found anything where he did it since becoming the head decision maker on a team. Leads me to think he may not want/like doing it. Of course it can be done. Will he do it? And if so will he do it where it works? Those are the questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator