Truth Takes: 2020 Schedule

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Welcome to GatorTruth's breakdown of the 2020 Schedule. These will be a brief take on each team, some more brief than others. I will be brief, but will discuss further in comments if you want. For the past two years, I've done various previews (usually much earlier) and this year I'm starting with the schedule as we've seen players at several schools continue to opt out of the season. No reason to start with the line up as things still seem to be in some jeopardy. Anyways, it's September, it's football season, which means time to cue the SEC on CBS theme and get excited. This season will be a unique SEC only schedule.

9/26 at Ole Miss
For the first time since the year I was born (1987) Florida kicks off the season with a true road game. Ole Miss enters the game with a first year head coach in Lane Kiffin. Kiffin has seemed to have it out for UF over the last decade. Could it be due to his relationship with his now ex-father-in-law? Or maybe the Daniel Tosh look alike just prefers teams with red (maybe he bolted from UT because that Orange wasn't red enough, meanwhile USC, Bama, FAU, now Ole Miss...all a shade of red)? Jokes aside, this is a very intriguing match up.

Kiffin comes in to an Ole Miss program that hasn't exactly been left in the best place and even he has said that it may take 3 recruiting cycles to get the program where he wants it. The QB competition between ex-Gators commit Matt Corral and John Rhys Plumlee may not even be decided before the game. I wouldn't be shocked if they split the duty against the Gators as each brings a different specialty to the table and Kiffin is a good offensive mind. However, I do not think with what little time they have that Ole Miss can put it together enough to beat these Gators. Granted, the game is slated for Noon, like 4 of the last 5 meetings (including old 12:30 SEC timeslot). Florida is 1-3 in those noon encounters with the lone win being in 2007 in a close one.

Gators Win

10/3 Carolina

Definitely one of the biggest losers in the SEC only schedule is Carolina. The Cocks are almost assuredly keeping Muschamp for 2021 under these conditions and Muschamp can't pad wins against crap schools like App. State...nevermind. At least they start against Tennessee who has been awful early in the season for about a decade now with 2016 probably being the lone exception.

Helinski returns and has a new OC in Mike Bobo. Bobo and Muschamp go back to their playing days at UGA together. Could that mean Muschamp actually allows an OC to do their thing? Probably not. However, Bobo has plenty of experience in coaching offenses to beat UF and beating UF is a big deal to ex-UGA players. Last year the Gamecocks gave UF a run for it in the rain in Columbia before running away with the game. I would say a big part of that was Trask not being used to throwing a wet ball. Maybe we should try practicing in the rain a bit more...at least the pitching and catching part. Another noon kickoff, another Gators victory.

Gators Win

10/10 at aTm

Jimbo Fisher, Kyle Field, and a week after they face Bama. This is a Texas A&M team coming into the season with a lot of hype. Part of it is it being year 3 for Jimbo Fisher, year 4 for Kellen Mond, and what some say was a promising season last season. You know, losing to UGA and Clemson by a combined 20 points. Forget the 43 point loss to LSU, the 19 point loss to Bama, the struggle for a 4 point win over a dreadful Arky and a 7 point win over a not so good Ole Miss.

A&M has had two defensive backs opt out of the season so far and have lost a veteran receiver. A week after what should be a physical, physical game at Bama is a great time to catch this team. They may improve and may actually live up to the expectations. This should be a tough game. However, I think the fact we have Carolina the week before while they have Bama a week before and the limited crowd in the Home of the 12th Man tips the scale in favor of UF.

Gators Win

10/17 LSU
Is Ed Orgeron a version of Larry Coker? That is the question I am waiting on an answer to. I know, "Truth he's a National Title winning coach, how could you say...wait a minute, Coker was 24-0 at one point?" Exactly Mr. Manostraw. The difference being is where Coker used Butch Davis talent, O could be a different version who makes his name on the back of assistants like Dave Aranda and Joe Brady, both of which are now gone. Not to mention everyone they lost before Chase decided to sit out the season. There has already been preemptive defenses of OC Ensminger on Saturday Down South.

LSU has a lighter schedule before facing us and that could be either good or bad for them. We do have a big road game the week before. However, I thought LSU had a good possibility of going 6-4 going into the season before Chase. A down LSU with revenge on our minds I believe overcomes any A&M hangover.

Gators Win

10/24 Mizzou

Being honest here, I think that outside of the trip to Kyle Field, this may be the toughest game of our first 5. New HC Drinkwitz has an extensive one year collegiate head coaching resume. However, that one year was an impressive 12-1 campaign with wins against both North and South Carolina. Mizzou is a team that has given us fits off and on throughout the years.

With two major games before this and the Georgia came the next one after, this is a textbook trap game. I'm not convinced that Mizzou will be much better than last year. However, the circumstances makes this game a tough one even against a Mizzou squad with a new starter at QB. I have a feeling that we get it done and get to the break undefeated.

Gators Win

11/7 UGA (Jax)

If there is a single game that needs to be circled this season, this one is it. 3 straight years UF has lost to UGA. In the last two, UF has messed up on the initial drive of the game when they had a chance to take control early. In 2018, Franks overthrows a flea flicker that is a TD if on the money and Scarlett fumbles the ball away a few plays later. In 2019, personnel issues (see my write up as it is not caught as much on the CBS cam) lead to a terrible first TO on the first drive, followed by confusion leading to a false start, followed by coming up just short on 3rd down and then turning it over on downs after 4th down. UF has not lost to UGA 4 straight years in UF's modern era. Heck 1983 ended the last streak longer than 3. This is a game Mullen MUST have.

UGA will have a new OC and a new QB this season, and a ton of talent. They have lost a good amount of talent to graduation, the draft, and injury going into this season. UGA could begin 2-3 with Auburn, Tennessee, Bama, and Kentucky in a row. They will probably do better, but with that early stretch it is possible they drop multiple games. This obviously would give them more motivation heading into Jacksonville. This is UF's best shot. Dan Mullen cannot afford to lose this a third straight year. His assistants cannot afford a loss in Jacksonville this year. The lack of accountability for last seasons defensive failure will not be tolerated another time. At this time, on 9/1/20, I believe desperation and experience will give us the edge.

I don't believe UGA's streak gets to 4.

Gators Win

11/14 Arkansas

Franks returns to the Swamp...if he's not already dead from Arkansas' brutal schedule up until that point. This one is short and sweet, this is a lose and your fired game. Arkansas is that bad.

Gators Win

11/21 at Vandy

Derek Mason is more despit than a guy who would hold a Sheriff hostage as he is being introduced to his new Old Western town. If he were at any other school, he would be gone by now. The good news is its 2020 and 2021 seems to be all but guaranteed no matter what. 2018 was not kind to the Gators in Nashville and they came out on top. 2020 will be a much easier road. Where Florida survived LSU the week before in 2018, Florida has a glorified bye before Vandy here. Further, Vandy faces a physical Kentucky team the week before us.

Gators win.

11/28 Kentucky

I'll say this, I don't disagree with Chris Doering saying Kentucky is a dark horse in the East. Wilson returns and Stoops has stockpiled more talent than Kentucky probably has ever had. Yes, they lose last season's dirtiest player and worse liar, but that offense should be much improved. The good news is the game is in Florida and not Kentucky in late November. Just like the aTm game, we face Kentucky a week after they have a physical game against Bama. I believe that gives us the edge.

Gators win.

12/5 at Tennessee

Florida is one of 3 teams to begin and end the season on the road (Bama and Vandy). There is so much going into this rivalry game. First, we are looking at a game, in December, in Tennessee. Lots of Vols hoping for snow. Second, Vols have been better at the end of the year recently (some of that is scheduling, but Georgia State and BYU weren't exactly powerhouses last year). Third, the nagging memory of Steve Spurrier's last home game, the last time UF faced UT in December. Sure, that was a much better Vols program, but this is a rivalry game and weird things happen. BTW, Darnell Dockett is a piece of excrement who not to long ago clearly didn't know what active duty military meant and expressed his disdain for the military. If you don't know why he's being mentioned, check #3 again, if still confused, take a lap. Fourth, Tennessee would like nothing else than to end the season on a high note by spoiling the season for the Gators and I expect UF to be in the hunt for the east going into Week 11. UGA gets Vandy so our game will be valuable.

Here's the thing, since Urban Meyer arrived 15 years ago Tennessee has as many wins against the Gators as Kentucky and Vandy. Let that sink in. Last game at home and for the season, they will go all out. I don't think UT gets it done.

Gators Win

Yes, on paper, even with the switches, I believe the Gators could very well go 10-0 this season for the first perfect regular season since '09 and the third ever. But as you know, I also recognize that UF blows at least one game it shouldn't every year. I won't predict it, but I will give my top 3 games that UF may trip up this year (in date order):
  1. Mizzou- Definition of trap game after some big games.
  2. UGA- No Fromm, but plenty of talent.
  3. Kentucky- This is a good team that depending on how the season begins with UF and UGA, could be playing for a shot at Atlanta in late November. Or I could be overvaluing Terry Wilson's return.

Realistically, I think Florida goes 9-1, but I could live with 8-2 depending on that 2 and if there are contributing factors like lots of big injuries. Anything less, then Mullen needs to make some changes. We return too much to not take advantage. I know this may be a fun discussion in the comments. I do believe that where we play a few teams on their schedule plays in our favor. If not this season, then when?

Go Gators!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Jeebus.

You smoked the whole damn bowl.

I was waiting for this comment. Am I being a pumper? Probably. Do I think most of it is logical based on what we have? Yes. And that's before Newman opted out at UGA.

Though, because I am both the Little Donk or the Anti-Donk depending on the day. What is the most blazed part for you?

Ive been accused and found guilty of this myself

So have some of my clients...:dance:

And not saying the phrase "smoke weed everyday" (that's a line to a song for those not in the know) has become a common see ya later message with my peers, but...

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Born in ‘87, you were either a newborn or in the womb waiting when I attended my first Gator game as a student, watching Kerwin Bell’s final season throwing passes to Stone Hands Stacy Simmons and a young fresh RB replacing Gould to lead the team. Hope this season goes better!

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I was waiting for this comment. Am I being a pumper? Probably. Do I think most of it is logical based on what we have? Yes. And that's before Newman opted out at UGA.

Though, because I am both the Little Donk or the Anti-Donk depending on the day. What is the most blazed part for you?

So have some of my clients...:dance:

And not saying the phrase "smoke weed everyday" (that's a line to a song for those not in the know) has become a common see ya later message with my peers, but...

Look it’s medicinal...that’s all I’m saying

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Born in ‘87, you were either a newborn or in the womb waiting when I attended my first Gator game as a student, watching Kerwin Bell’s final season throwing passes to Stone Hands Stacy Simmons and a young fresh RB replacing Gould to lead the team. Hope this season goes better!

Newborn. My older (half) brother tells me about those days. But you had Emmitt Smith debut that year as well.

Look it’s medicinal...that’s all I’m saying

The amount of people we (and some judges) tell to get their medicinal license is more than some would think (and probably a fewer amount than others would think).

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
It was my best move since I’m in a lot of pain but don’t take prescription pills because they’re terrible

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have no idea what will happen with any teams this year given all the chaos, but I do know that Ole Miss has a little white QB that can run as good as any QB in a long time. Joe Lee Dunn jr. and QB's who love to run = not a good things for Joe Lee Dunn jr. usually.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I have no idea what will happen with any teams this year given all the chaos, but I do know that Ole Miss has a little white QB that can run as good as any QB in a long time. Joe Lee Dunn jr. and QB's who love to run = not a good things for Joe Lee Dunn jr. usually.

They said Corral is winning the QB battle FWIW

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but I do know that Ole Miss has a little white QB that can run as good as any QB in a long time. .
you think if he's running the option with Cokehead II?

I think most of the predictions hear about how good old dan mullewain is going to be are hilarious, but he's not losing to Half Kif.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
you think if he's running the option with Cokehead II?

I think most of the predictions hear about how good old dan mullewain is going to be are hilarious, but he's not losing to Half Kif.

I have no idea WTF Ole Miss will run. Hell Lame-O was willing to let Jalen Hurts run all he wanted to as a true frosh b/c he could not throw for shyt. All I said was that Ole Miss had a little white boy that is a damn good running QB that's all. I did not even say a word about Cousin Eddie. Until Cousin Eddie shows me an ability to manage a game, my views will not change on him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Cocaine II is good at running? He is fuchsing garbage.

edit: Oh... you mean the other kid. the one thing we dont really have to worry about is a tiny fast kid who cant throw. our defense is tiny and soft but fast.

you should worry more about kintucky, usc and voles in decemburr.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator