Truth Takes: A&M (The One I forgot to Title)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I could be wrong on both accounts. But I think Mond has regressed. And Jimbo has this team spiraling a bit.

Georgia reminds me of our 2012 team. It’s a house of cards that could be upset any game. But that may not happen until the Post season.

After A&M (who I think is back sliding), I only see Georgia and Tennessee as teams that can beat us. If we beat A&M and Georgia (unlikely), we could go into the Tennessee game (last game of the year - I think) undefeated.

If the DL and LB positions don’t shored up we will get trounced in the playoffs.

I think we can win all of our games except UGA (right now). IF we get Campbell back I'll feel a lot better. I think Stewart is going to provide a big boost to the secondary (even if he plays Star). I think it's too early to bag on A&M - sure, they looked pedestrian vs. Vandy (which is inexcusable) but their offense showed some life vs. Alabama (but that could have been a case of Alabama's D playing like ours with a big lead). Mond can hurt us w/ his feet, plus they have a very good TE & RB - if they kill us over the middle it'll be a close game. I'm hoping we win by double digits, but what we've seen through two weeks says this will be a closer game than we want it to be - A&M is better than SC and Ole Miss.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I think we can win all of our games except UGA (right now). II think Stewart is going to provide a big boost to the secondary (even if he plays Star).

This is a pretty measured response by BMF regarding Stewart and "even if he plays Star," so this is directed at others that are touting he will be great at Star. I'm not buying it. I think it will end up looking like Dean. Stewart has never played CB for us that I recall and is fairly big to match up with very quick slot receivers. We definitely place our safeties in man a good deal, but not in as tough a spot as our Star is put most games in the same man role 2-3 yards off the line in the middle of the field.

Is it a coincidence that since CGJ no one has been able to really be successful there? Based on reports, maybe Johnson has a chance there? The cover is so hard, yet we are not playing our best cover person there, presumably because there is more help in the vicinity for blown coverage from LB's and Safeties that we are not giving up as many TD's from that spot. But, we sure give up a great deal of first down passes against that position. Even though he had plenty of problems there, Burney might have been the most consistent in that role since 2018.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a pretty measured response by BMF regarding Stewart and "even if he plays Star," so this is directed at others that are touting he will be great at Star. I'm not buying it. I think it will end up looking like Dean. Stewart has never played CB for us that I recall and is fairly big to match up with very quick slot receivers. We definitely place our safeties in man a good deal, but not in as tough a spot as our Star is put most games in the same man role 2-3 yards off the line in the middle of the field.

Is it a coincidence that since CGJ no one has been able to really be successful there? Based on reports, maybe Johnson has a chance there? The cover is so hard, yet we are not playing our best cover person there, presumably because there is more help in the vicinity for blown coverage from LB's and Safeties that we are not giving up as many TD's from that spot. But, we sure give up a great deal of first down passes against that position. Even though he had plenty of problems there, Burney might have been the most consistent in that role since 2018.

We'll see. The star in most defenses is a smaller LB, so Stewart at 205+lbs should be able to handle it - and we don't know yet if he'll play Star or Safety. We'll see. But I'd rather have him on the field than Stiner (at S) or Wilson (at Star).

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
We'll see. The star in most defenses is a smaller LB, so Stewart at 205+lbs should be able to handle it - and we don't know yet if he'll play Star or Safety. We'll see. But I'd rather have him on the field than Stiner (at S) or Wilson (at Star).

I don't disagree with most of this, except that I think he will struggle at Star too. First, I'm surprised if Stewart is only 205#. More though, we don't play a traditional Star is my point. We predominantly play a 4-2-5 with the Star in one of the hardest coverage roles on the field.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I don't disagree with most of this, except that I think he will struggle at Star too. First, I'm surprised if Stewart is only 205#. More though, we don't play a traditional Star is my point. We predominantly play a 4-2-5 with the Star in one of the hardest coverage roles on the field.

If Diwun Black gets in why wouldn’t he play star? That seems like a great spot for him

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
If Diwun Black gets in why wouldn’t he play star? That seems like a great spot for him

Why in our defense? Because I can't find highlight film of him playing man at all, no less nearly press coverage against a slot on 75% of the plays.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Why in our defense? Because I can't find highlight film of him playing man at all, no less nearly press coverage against a slot on 75% of the plays.

Smaller LB type and athletic that plays safety...we’ll see even if it’s just obvious running downs...I’d like to see Trevez Johnson move there and put Black at Money but Grantham gets paid the big bucks so what do I know

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Smaller LB type and athletic that plays safety...we’ll see even if it’s just obvious running downs...I’d like to see Trevez Johnson move there and put Black at Money but Grantham gets paid the big bucks so what do I know

That seems more likely to me (as to what they’ll try), but Black plays pretty tall and doesn’t have any film of shedding blocks in the box either. His movements are very upright, which seems even more susceptible than Burney to getting eaten up by blocks. But, Black uses his hands more and has longer arms, so maybe he’ll overcome it and adjust better than Burney to MLB.

Also, as noted above and in lots of other threads, Grantham doesn’t play a small LB Star or a big safety. He plays a corner/nickel.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because Choker plays a nickel corner there.

It is absolutely stupid to pretend we play a hybrid there when all we do is play our heavier or best run support corner there.

Diwun will be forced to play inside LB bc thats what we do with fullsized safeties.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Because Choker plays a nickel corner there.

It is absolutely stupid to pretend we play a hybrid there when all we do is play our heavier or best run support corner there.

Just saying it would make sense that’s all

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just saying it would make sense that’s all

75f7a337e9fd03.gif

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
First in. Good Job. Except the title. That sucks.

I began to write a title, then hit post and literally forgot about it until I just logged in LOLZ. I mean I don't know if I can beat last week's innuendos.

what the hell's wrong with the thread title?

did you get hammered early and pass out before you finished?

Yes? Well, maybe not hammered

Yep. We’ll win by double digits. A&M is not very good this year.

Biggest problems on our schedule are LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia.

I think Tennessee has a good shot to upset Georgia this weekend.

As of right now, I am more afraid of Tennessee than LSU. I might be more afraid of Kentucky than LSU. Granted, I won't learn much about LSU until we play them next week. Vandy and Mizzou are two weeksd good to rehab a team. Meanwhile we get the SEC's top offense in week one and do some bs defensive possession to run out the clock (allegedly) in week two.

I see a BIG day from Henderson. He’s another good player to watch on film. He gives great effort on blocking in the run game. And he’s extremely explosive! He’ll be more impactful here than his brother was and that’s saying something.

UF- 48
Tx A&M- 20

Part of me would be really surprised, but then again with Bama's success going over the top, he might be the choice here. We seem to have a different guy outside of Pitts do some great things outside of Pitts weekly. Grimes in week one and Whittemore last week. But like I said, my big fear is that we decided to overthink it and try to force the run.

On a side note, while it is only two games into the season, it is odd to see UF, corn dog, and Bama, on a list of the worst pass defenses in the conf.

Yep. I'll say this if we are talking passing offenses, I think Bama has performed the worst (though it doesn't show in the rankings). LSU had Leach and company and we had Ole Miss. Meanwhile, Bama had Mizzou and A&M, neither I think pass on the level of either Mississippi school. My point is one number drags the the average up for us and LSU while Bama allowed about the same each week by comparison.

I'm hoping we win by double digits, but what we've seen through two weeks says this will be a closer game than we want it to be - A&M is better than SC and Ole Miss.

It definitely could be, but we've also had three score leads in each game as well. I think I said in the OP (or deleted it, which I actually delete a number of points to move and never do) that A&M is the best team overall, but Ole Miss has the better O and Carolina the better D. Definitely, the best balance between the two. I am honestly nervous, but at the same time, I think that unless we shoot ourselves with turnovers and other offensive problems we should be fine.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
The Gators take their second trip to Kyle Field on Saturday. As it stands, Florida will be playing will actually be playing in the highest temperature it has played in so far this season with a high in the...

I like your write ups, I really do, but please have someone edit them. Heck I'll volunteer, hit me on a pm if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator