Truth Takes: Avengers

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
6 years, to the day. 6 years since we beat FSU. I have decided to be a little classier than I first thought with the beginning of this article.

Truth, why the name? Because the FSU's band, as the Gators walked to the locker room after celebrating victory with the crowd (and I think while celebrating a few minutes earlier), played the Avengers movie theme. I thought it was great irony. I joked about it out loud. You have a team that has just avenged 5 straight losses, your greatest rival, and you play that theme. That's hilarious. Also, of note, the first Avengers film came out in 2012, the last year we beat FSU, but enough about that.

So happy we beat FSU, this is huge. Not just that we did it, but HOW we did it. Total demolition that should have been worse on the scoreboard. Everyone Did Their Part.

Offense

The Offense overall was phenomenal, score should have been higher, but we left points in the redzone. Franks, in my opinion, had his best game as a Gator. This is what should happen. A guy developing throughout the year so he is playing his best at the end. Wish we didn't have the growing pains, but it was a great game. He even had some nice designed runs and scrambles. He accounted for 300 yards total. Will he be the starter going into next year? I don't know, but games like this on film make it hard to say for sure he won't be at least against Miami.

Perine and Scarlett continue to be beasts. I wasn't sure if Perine would have the projection to leave before yesterday, now I do. I still like a backfield of Davis and Pierce. Also, before that Perine TD run, I saw the way the teams were lined up and said "Perine, Perine, Perine". I was wrong about one thing, I thought it was between the tackles. On review it was Lewis at TE and Ivey who sprung the holes. I have to give Lewis credit here since I have dogged him for missing blocks throughout the year.

Another game, another receiving hero. Grimes was the one to go off, but Jefferson was not far behind. This is a great offense for receivers in that everyone has a chance to get the ball at any given time. This keeps other receivers from being disinterested. Against FSU, 7 different players caught balls, 5 different receivers.

I can say that I'm excited for Year 2.

Franks passing:
  1. High pass for C'yontai Lewis, incomplete on 3rd down. However, in the stadium, the replay was from behind Franks, If he throws that low and at Lewis' chest, it's going for 6 the other way. So while not a great throw, an accurate one is a pick.
  2. 3 yard gain on hitch to Lewis. HE CAUGHT IT!
  3. Out route to Toney for 6 yards.
  4. Good throwaway by Franks. A screen was called on 3rd and goal, but well defended. Franks looks around but no one was open so he throws it out of the back of the endzone. ***Special note, Tyler Jordan whiffing on that 4th and goal is why I continue to believe the line will not be worse last year with the replacements.
  5. Terrific deep ball to Cleveland that hits him in the hands. Incomplete, FSU defender actually pulled his jersey, right before the broadcast camera comes in.
  6. 6 yard hitch to Grimes.
  7. Swing to Hammond for 9 and a first down.
  8. Terrific throw to Jefferson and even better catch for 39 yards. Put the ball where only Jefferson could get it. I criticized Jefferson earlier in the year for not laying out, he sure did it here.
  9. Screen to Jefferson for 7 yards.
  10. Good throwaway. Franks flushed out of the pocket and no one open on his side of the field.
  11. The 54 yard pass to Grimes. Good read by Franks, good run after catch by Grimes.
  12. Terrible decision by Franks. In the fake left screen right play. He didn't even look before throwing. Luckily, the defend just batted it down instead of catching it.
  13. Again, Good throwaway. I hate saying that so much, but if no one is open, I'd rather have a throwaway than taking a sack...or running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.
  14. 7 yard slant to Jefferson for a first down on 3rd and 5.
  15. Not a great throw. Perhaps a throwaway, but Franks scrambling to his weak side and the ball sails out of bounds.
  16. 16 yard gain on a 10 yard curl route.
  17. Dangerous throw by Franks trying to force it into Hammond that the defender batted away. Perhaps an earlier throw would be a TD...but I'm not too sure.
  18. Two yard TD pass to Hammond on a short out route after the play action to Scarlett. That play design was ice. Didn't notice it live, but the replay was great.
  19. 22 yard strike to Grimes for a TD. Franks did a great job directing Grimes to the open space and hitting him for the TD.
  20. Swing to Perine for 6 yards.
  21. Great catch by Toney for 14 yards and a first down.
  22. TD to Jefferson 38 yards. Franks throws a great ball here. It should always be an easy completion when a guy is that open. However, with what we've seen this year, it was good to not see that ball land just out of reach.
  23. Overthrow deep to Grimes.
  24. 20 yard strike to Grimes on an intermediate in route.
  25. Ball batted down on screen pass.
  26. High screen pass to Swain for 3 and a first down.

Defense

Outside of two drives, this defense was dominant. 5 sacks, two picks, more tackles for loss. Polite has a major chance to tie Alex Brown's single season record, gets a major strip that Jefferson recovers. Stiner gets a play near the end of the game. Trey Dean with his first pick.

The biggest critique I have is Vosean Joseph barreling in at Francois on 4th and 13. If he breaks Francois down, it's a turnover on downs and the game probably isn't in question from that point on (though it really wasn't in question anyways).

Quick Hits
  • Interesting note, Malik Davis was on the sideline, but Trask was not.
  • Wishing Milton from UCF well, that was a gruesome injury. If we face UCF, I wish that it would have been with their best. Also, the crazy contingent of UCF fans wouldn't have the "only because we didn't have Milton" line.
  • Until next Monday, I don't think we ended the bowl streak. If enough teams are not eligible, some bowl may try and bring in FSU. If enough teams are eligible feel free to tell me.
  • Loved the clip of Dan Mullen saying he had never lost this game, which I think was an SEC Now interview.
  • Another year, another Townsend robbed of the Ray Guy. My favorite? A 65 yard punt. What I loved even more, the commentary that FSU had field advantage with a third down stop before this.
  • Planting the flag. I love it, just do it after all the shaking hands, not during.
  • However, I'd say that if they don't want our flag to be planted, knock off the crap with the Gator head. Can't do that crap and then cry when we celebrate our way.
  • It took 2 calls to the Extra Point show for someone to bring up Trask, not the time dude, not the time.
  • I'm glad Meyer won the Meyer vs. Mac battle. At least Meyer brought us Titles.
  • Another 11 points for McPherson who I hope will go on to being UF's all-time leading scorer.
So, another Gators regular season is in the book. Was it the best season? No. Did it show hoe for the future? Yes. We see weapons, we see some good things on D and we have put up offensive numbers we haven't seen in years. Are there things to be fixed? Yes. Areas we can improve? Certainly. However, unlike 2012 where 11-1 looked like a fraud, this looks like we are legitimately moving in the right direction. Also, bring on Year 2 of Nick Savage. Six years to the day, I've been able to wake up with bragging rights in Florida. It's a glorious time, Early Signing Day will be good. I don't think Wright is the last commit we see before that time.

Go Gators!

krisl648

Founding Member
Life Long Gator!
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To you point about FSU making the bowl streak....I think I read somewhere today that there are 78 bowl spots available and already 82 teams bowl eligible, so some deserving teams will be left out.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Are those crying jackals still digging up opponent's midfield logos to plant in their sod cemetery? So nice to see the Gators ride into the Joke and just bust their azzes wide open

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.