Truth Takes: Charlotte Preview 2023

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
this is that time of the current coach's tenure where the pumps say if we just get another solid recruiting class and a stud qb, we will see the playbook transform and the offense really open up while the dumps say the playbook is the playbook, what has been put on film for multiple years is what the offense is.

so far its dumps 2 (chump and mac), pumps 1 (dan mullen/trask year).

My money says we've seen what we will see b/c it looks the same as what he was doing at UL when he had better talent than most if not all other teams in that conf.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He's a bridge until we get to Lagway. He was never supposed to be anything more or anything less. You guys act like we signed him to a 10-year contract.

Mertz may not be a QB that wins games for you, but so far he's been one that doesn't lose games for you, either. Before the season, I think we would have taken that.

I think this team with a playmaking QB over the next few years could be absolutely lethal. 2025, 2026 could be SEC-winning seasons.
So far, I'm happy with Mertz. He is far superior in leading this team than AR. Mertz won't ever be seen crying on the sidelines because he threw an int. The things Mertz can improve on are doable.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So far, I'm happy with Mertz. He is far superior in leading this team than AR. Mertz won't ever be seen crying on the sidelines because he threw an int. The things Mertz can improve on are doable.
Agree with this and Ox's comments regarding managing the game. He's done a very good job and he's a kid that will not lose you the game. But also agree that he's a bridge bc in this league and in today's game, if you want to compete for titles you need a game changer at QB.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Based on the offensive analysis from gnfp, I don't get the impression that a wide open passing game is Nappys strong suit. It seems like over 75% of the routes we run are hitches. Not good for explosiveness or for YAC.
I don't need wide open, but one takes advantage of guys like Ricky, Wilson, etc. in space on plays other than screens and jet sweeps (which are passes the way we run them).

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe, but there's a lot that can be done now that we aren't doing. There's the history of 1 top 59 passing offense in 8 years of calling plays. There's schematic things like running 2 WR's at 4 DB's and running guys into the same space or into each others throw windows. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm going to side with the data we have instead of the hope that isn't tethered to data. Doesn't bother me if people have that hope, but we have no evidence to point to to back up that everything is the QB's fault every year he's called plays.
Seems obvious two WRs covered by four DBs is not a QB issue.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s just pray he self evaluates and gets a new OC / Passing Coordinator next year along with a dedicated ST coach. He sent Toney packing, so there is some chance of this happening.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Based on the offensive analysis from gnfp, I don't get the impression that a wide open passing game is Nappys strong suit. It seems like over 75% of the routes we run are hitches. Not good for explosiveness or for YAC.
Yes.

GNFP likes the creativity of the run game as it develops, but there were missed opportunities in the passing game because the hitch patterns don’t account for times a DB drops back and leaves a window open for a quick throw if both wr and qb see it. But, it seems BN’s scheme doesn’t incorporate this and the players don’t turn to face the qb until the end of the route. He tried to be safe and effective with the passing game while setting up opportunities for explosive plays on the ground. Not sure it will lead to ultimate success and I hope he shows the capacity to adapt the offense one way or another if it doesn’t.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We gone when dis!!!

Days Gator Bait

:chomp:
taylor swift suck it GIF

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Everybody wants Billy to succeed just like everyone wants Mertz to succeed. There is no way to deny what Truth is saying though, the passing game concepts to get recievers open are antiquated and flawed. Billys run game concepts are his strength and would love to keep that part of the offense, but he at the very least needs to get a passing game coordinator (if not an outright OC) to really open up this offense. Until then no amount of QB or WR talent will have consistent success.

And believe me, it hurts me to say that, I really think Billy is the guy and I hope he will make that change for his own sake.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Everybody wants Billy to succeed just like everyone wants Mertz to succeed. There is no way to deny what Truth is saying though, the passing game concepts to get recievers open are antiquated and flawed. Billys run game concepts are his strength and would love to keep that part of the offense, but he at the very least needs to get a passing game coordinator (if not an outright OC) to really open up this offense. Until then no amount of QB or WR talent will have consistent success.

And believe me, it hurts me to say that, I really think Billy is the guy and I hope he will make that change for his own sake.
You’re spot on.

So far, he seems to be pretty self aware as far as staff changes, recruiting and gameplans go. His greatest strength seems to be his ability to evaluate talent, considering that 99% of the guys who are really shining on this team are guys that he brought in, whether it be Montrell coming over from ULL, transfers like Mertz and Mazzccua, or recruits.

I like Billy and I’d love to finally be able to have a long term solution at head coach instead of a stopgap like the last three. If he eventually fails at UF, it won’t be because of laziness or lack of passion.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are fuchsing nuts continuing to bash Anthony Richardson. If our defense played this well last year we'd have beaten Tennessee, LSU, Vanderbilt, and FSU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You guys are fuchsing nuts continuing to bash Anthony Richardson. If our defense played this well last year we'd have beaten Tennessee, LSU, Vanderbilt, and FSU.

I don’t disagree that the defense ultimately cost us in this games, and for me this not about bashing Anthony Richardson. But I think the stats kind of muddy the picture. His best moments were in one of three conditions: opening drive, completely overmatched opponent or once the game was almost out of reach. All of those scenarios have one thing in common—the pressure’s off. I think a lot of it has to do with his HS career on a terrible team where he wasn’t often winning and was mostly told to just go out and let it rip. That’s why he looks amazing in Q4 against Lsu/ut but single-handedly gives away an 11 point lead against Uk. I think problem was a once in a lifetime combination of incredible talent that everyone knew of, starting for only one year. That’s almost unheard of. But also quintessential UF QB situation post Tebow.

But to your point, I think Mertz wins us Vu, Uk, and fsu last year just by making routine plays consistently. Utah is still the only game that was determined(positively) by AR. Doesn’t mean you’re knocking him or that you can’t still pull for him and hope he makes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.