Truth Takes: Florida-Georgia Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
This weekend I hit either a new high or low in my fandom depending on your perspective. After being in the hospital overnight from Friday to Saturday, I was released at 11:15, with no restrictions and the ability to resume normal activities so I drove the 2 1/2 hours to Jacksonville to watch the game...and do so with a Gator podcaster that I won't name right now, but we will say that his stuff ends up on this board a lot.

I could write about the 4th down try that changed the game, but @cover2 has done a great job of that. Indeed, it changed the game and those in my party all agreed. The spot and probably the overturn was ridiculous in our opinion, but we ran a play where it's a genius if it works, but you'll take heat if it doesn't. I've seen many take that to mean its a genius call either way and should be praised no matter what. Even if the guy didn't break through so easily, the love of throwing in the flats was easily covered as guys like Kirby and Muschamp aren't dumb and know Nape's tendencies just like any Gator fan. Watch it back, Pearsall is smothered by the coverage.

Yes, I had hope going into the game that we might have a shot. Bowers injury basically opened up a new level of creativity that you see from real OC's. Bobo didn't lament losing Bowers and shrink like a turtle into its shell. Instead, he found ways to get busy with the rest of his weapons. He looked for, and found, ways to get the ball moving.

I point that out to say this game had all the fingerprints of a MacNuss game. An opening drive that was beautifully scripted and scored points only to be followed by a useless offense until we were down by 3 scores. Yes, for the third time this season, UF was down by 3 scores before halfway through the second half and the second time it was down by 3 scores before the half. All those games we had one scoring drive in the first half. I know I'm beating a deadhorse, but I will obliterate it.

This game is decently on the offense. I know the defense was pretty awful at times, but hear me out. The game is 10-7, we don't get a first down, call that execution, playcalling, stupid decision to go for it with the punter you have, game close, and the ball on your own 34. That's major momentum and a short field for the offense at 31 yards. Then you give them an 11 yard field after a fumble on the next drive. Then on the next one you fail again and get the punt blocked, and it's 26-7 with 10 minutes left in the first half. Defense has surrendered all of 42 yards for those 16 points. Those major 16 points that make it a 19 point lead.

The defense then would give us a chance forcing 3 straight Georgia punts (end of half not included). If the offense scores on either of the first half stops and after the first stop of the second half it's a one score game, with momentum and who knows what happens in that situation. I know this isn't the case, but it did give me flashbacks of those 2015/16 defenses that would get stops and then get frustrated when the offense would do nothing with them so it lead to lackluster defense.

I'm not about to say the defense was good or we would have won, but momentum means a lot. When the defense does their part and the offense is rolling in mediocrity, I can't hold it all on the defense, especially when the offense put them in several bad spots.

It isn't the "oline" or "youth" or "2nd year coach" or the blanket statement defense of your choice that has Hansen and Boardingham having close to even number of snaps with Hansen have more early on. It isn't one of the blanket statements that Wilson got the ball several different ways including a down the field in route on the first drive, but then didn't get any touches for several drives and most were predicatable screens before he got leveled on yet another 3rd down slant (which you bet they adjusted to after the TD and knew the tendency). We did have one non-3rd down slant that went for 7. It isn't one of the blanket statements that keeps designing, running and throwing routes short of the sticks on 3rd/4th down (again like we saw in the MacNuss years). It isn't a blanket statement that doesn't see much of a downfield quick passing game.

Again, I know it's a dead horse, but if you think it's one of those blanket excuses please tackle for me how it is one of those.

There's no reason we haven't seen an announcement loud and clear about Chris Couch. Not only did we have a punt blocked, but on UGA's FG attempt (on their first drive, again, if offense scores after this bend, but don't break its a different game) we had 10 men with the 11th running on late.

I get sick of losing. In most people's heads and even in the pre-season most saw this as a loss. I can accept losing, what I refuse to accept is anymore excuses for getting blown out and how it is acceptable. You will not convince me Auburn and Carolina are better off than us this year, but they didn't lose by 23 and pad stats towards the end to say look at us, we didn't stop fighting.

At least we get to wear UGA colors this upcoming Saturday...granted our Coach does that every week. That, like 2 OL coaches, will be one of those things you don't mind, but absolutely hate if and once the UAA says you can.

At least we beat Carolina at the last second...a team increasingly looking like a 3 win team.

I said 7 wins is the measuring stick for the season before the season and no one though it was controversial. That is still possible. Wins and losses do not change that. I have too much integrity to move the goalposts. Now to see how we respond in our "easiest" game left.

Go Gators!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the same during the opening drive. Crisp and varied play calling with a slant toward misdirection to try and neutralize and even penalize Georgia's speed.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good write up Truth. I would say I agree with your general ending thesis, but I have to disagree with some things you allude too. Like most fans, I see a lot of what if this or what if that and I understand the concept, but I think you have to look at what actually happened. You can't control the officiating so you have to look at what each team did with those issues. Was is a 1st down or a 4th down? I think replay shows that it should have been 4th down but I do think think the spot of the ball was incorrect. Did I mind going for it on 4th down? No. Did I think it was a good call? No, regardless of the outcome of that play. Yes that play call swung Uncle Mo at that time, but you can't say things would certainly have been different had the 3rd down play not been overruled. Same as mentioning the D getting 3 stops in a row yet the O did zip. That is factually true, but you can't assume that had the O done anything and scored points that UGly might have then called and run a complete different sequence of plays and they too might have scored 3 more times. Maybe, Maybe not. But you can't change a small aspect and then presume the rest plays out the same way. Most likely would not have. I just look at each game as it played out and see what I see. Talent gap? Yes, some. Coaching gap? Big time. I along with you do not think we just have to wait to get the very best players to start playing better and winning. In all honesty that is not going to happen. The best players go where they see results or where they think they can be improved to advance to the next level. Two years in it is hard to argue the latter. I just cannot keep buying the lack of talent from many who say that is all that matters. I do not pay much attention to recruiting, but I find it hard to believe that based on that alone, that we were so deficient as to get A$$ raped 2 years in a row by UK, ever get A$$ raped by Vandy. Sure you can lose games, but changing a view on what ifs within a game and then extrapolating the remainder of the game remains the same is just plain incorrect. The game is the game and what is within one's own control is what needs to be the focus. I would say that we are more deficient on the sideline with the guys making the decisions than we are with the guys in the uniforms.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorTruth133 :thumbup:with the MacNuss comparison and pointing out the inordinate amount of plays designed to target short of the sticks or line to gain on 3rd down. The latter feels like a dominant feature of Billy’s strategy/philosophy that figures prominently in every game. It‘s great when it goes to Boardingham and he makes a highlight reel run to convert, but then you get something quick lateral that gets immediately smothered or the slant to Wilson that a good D has adjusted for and stops at the catch and all of a sudden your 3rd down numbers are dismal. It is inane and if you believe in the science of analytics, they’re telling you “stop doing what you’re doing, it’s not producing!” Yet it continues.

Additionally, play design comes frequently into question, particularly routes overlapping and crowded into common areas of the field, which I agree has happened often and results in nowhere to get a clear read or clean throw. I just don’t understand how this hasn’t been corrected? I will give credit, however, to the play design that resulted in the TD pass to Hansen in the 4th.

Last comment I’ll add is that I read something that said Billy’s offensive DNA was based on his time at Bama that was run-heavy with controlled passing BUT relied heavily on a championship caliber, lockdown defense, similar to what we ran into yesterday, and that’s what he’s ultimately trying to build toward. Great goal, I guess, but in the meantime, are you really “building“ if 6 wins is all you’re coming up with? I know the response will be “it takes time,” but it can be argued that the lingering malaise prior to and including last season and this one so far, along with the advent of the portal, has made the “takes time” argument debatable at best, but more likely seen as an excuse in this time of “find a way to keep up and fast or get left in the dust!” Just saying…

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Who said Stockholm syndrome in another thread :). Conditioned to accept ppp.

Can Lagaway throw behind the los?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@GatorTruth133 :thumbup:with the MacNuss comparison and pointing out the inordinate amount of plays designed to target short of the sticks or line to gain on 3rd down. The latter feels like a dominant feature of Billy’s strategy/philosophy that figures prominently in every game. It‘s great when it goes to Boardingham and he makes a highlight reel run to convert, but then you get something quick lateral that gets immediately smothered or the slant to Wilson that a good D has adjusted for and stops at the catch and all of a sudden your 3rd down numbers are dismal. It is inane and if you believe in the science of analytics, they’re telling you “stop doing what you’re doing, it’s not producing!” Yet it continues.

Additionally, play design comes frequently into question, particularly routes overlapping and crowed into common areas of the field, which I agree has happened often and results in nowhere to get a clear read or clean throw. I just don’t understand how this hasn’t been corrected? I will give credit, however, to the play design that resulted in the TD pass to Hansen in the 4th.

Last comment I’ll add is that I read something that said Billy’s offensive DNA was based on his time at Bama that was run-heavy with controlled passing BUT relied heavily on a championship caliber, lockdown defense, similar to what we ran into yesterday, and that’s what he’s ultimately trying to build toward. Great goal, I guess, but in the meantime, are you really “building“ if 6 wins is all you’re coming up with? I know the response will be “it takes time,” but it can be argued that the lingering malaise prior to and including last season and this one so far, along with the advent of the portal, has made the “takes time” argument debatable at best, but more likely seen as an excuse in this time of “find a way to keep up and fast or get left in the dust!” Just saying…
You mentioned something C2, that is all but non existent in college football anymore. The "LockDown" defense. Bama does not even possess it anymore at least not consistently. There is only one team and coach that has what would now be considered a lock down D. Shart and UGly.

Last edited:

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Alright, let me try to be as level headed, clear and articulate as possible after another embarrassing curb stomping to a rival on national television. Cover and Truth did a great job of hitting the small highlights and abundant lows in the game.

Issue 1. There is no reason for our offense to get playmakers involved and be aggressive in the opening drive just to go back to the methodical non-threatening predictable offense we are used to . No excuse, that's on Billy.

Issue 2. Yes we got phucked by the refs on the first down call, but don't call that play on 4th and inches. I don't give 2 phucks if it worked, it was chicken $hit and everybody knows it. He told the world he doesn't have confidence in his team to get 1 yard. Maybe huddle the O up and say "phuck the refs, we won't give them a choice on this one, run it right down their God Dam throat right here".

Issue 3. It goes hand in hand with issue 2 but, for all the preaching about "wanting" to be a mentally and physically tough football team, it just isn't there. I think 20% of that can be due to your players (Siler, Spiked, Tebow, Wright) and the other 80% is the coach being able to instill that toughness and attitude. We did show some grit against South Carolina, BUT it's South Carolina guys. I didn't expect us to win contrary to what some may think, but like Donk, I expected to get beat by a couple of touchdowns as they pulled away late in the game but we fought hard the whole way WITHOUT self inflicted wounds.

Issue 4. Practice what you preach. Billy talking about being detailed oriented doesn't match what his team looks like on the field.

Issue 5. It's very small but Jesus can Billy stop wearing phucking black. Wear something blue or white. Seeing that $hit gives me the creeps. Not a fan of the uniforms either, it's for a good cause, but I love our traditional look.

I didn't come on here and post after the Tennessee, Vandy, and South Carolina wins because in my mind, those should be guranteed Wins every year. No matter how far the program has fallen, with a competent coach, those should be Wins, that includes Missouri and Kentucky as well. I was glad we won, but that isn't our Bar, and it never should be. Games against Georgia, LSU, Bama, FSU are our measuring stick. If we aren't competitive in those games, then we are under performing. At the moment I don't think he is the guy that can get us back to the top. I'm glad he is recruiting his tail off and hopefully he can keep the class together. No matter how this season ends, if he doesn't hire an OC I'm 100% out on him. Would love to see a ST coach hired as well but we need some body that can take advantage of the talented skill players we have and are incoming. Lastly, we have to start landing the big uglys on both sides if we want to get back to the top.

Go Gators and phuck every body else, may they all burn in hell

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Was is a 1st down or a 4th down? I think replay shows that it should have been 4th down but I do think think the spot of the ball was incorrect. Did I mind going for it on 4th down? No. Did I think it was a good call? No, regardless of the outcome of that play. Yes that play call swung Uncle Mo at that time, but you can't say things would certainly have been different had the 3rd down play not been overruled. Same as mentioning the D getting 3 stops in a row yet the O did zip. That is factually true, but you can't assume that had the O done anything and scored points that UGly might have then called and run a complete different sequence of plays and they too might have scored 3 more times. Maybe, Maybe not. But you can't change a small aspect and then presume the rest plays out the same way. Most likely would not have. I just look at each game as it played out and see what I see. Talent gap? Yes, some. Coaching gap? Big time. I along with you do not think we just have to wait to get the very best players to start playing better and winning. In all honesty that is not going to happen. The best players go where they see results or where they think they can be improved to advance to the next level. Two years in it is hard to argue the latter. I just cannot keep buying the lack of talent from many who say that is all that matters. I do not pay much attention to recruiting, but I find it hard to believe that based on that alone, that we were so deficient as to get A$$ raped 2 years in a row by UK, ever get A$$ raped by Vandy. Sure you can lose games, but changing a view on what ifs within a game and then extrapolating the remainder of the game remains the same is just plain incorrect. The game is the game and what is within one's own control is what needs to be the focus. I would say that we are more deficient on the sideline with the guys making the decisions than we are with the guys in the uniforms.

I agree with most of this, what I would say is if we score. Maybe UGA scores. If UGA doesn't, and it gets tight, maybe, maybe not, UGA plays tight like they did in tight games against SC and Auburn. However, when the D does their job and the offense doesn't until garbage time. I'm going to at least say offense gave short fields for 14, ST gave up 2 (luckily not 7), and didn't capitalize when the D did their job after that sequence. I'm not saying we win. I will say that once Uncle Mo swung, he never came back. Without him swinging it may be a different game, that does not mean we'd win.

@GatorTruth133
Additionally, play design comes frequently into question, particularly routes overlapping and crowed into common areas of the field, which I agree has happened often and results in nowhere to get a clear read or clean throw. I just don’t understand how this hasn’t been corrected? I will give credit, however, to the play design that resulted in the TD pass to Hansen in the 4th.

What's funny is Saban, without a transfer portal, took what he had and in year 2 made that line that line, but even he saw the writing on the wall about that style of offense years ago. The Hansen TD was a well drawn up play. We need more of that.

Issue 1. There is no reason for our offense to get playmakers involved and be aggressive in the opening drive just to go back to the methodical non-threatening predictable offense we are used to . No excuse, that's on Billy.

Issue 2. Yes we got phucked by the refs on the first down call, but don't call that play on 4th and inches. I don't give 2 phucks if it worked, it was chicken $hit and everybody knows it. He told the world he doesn't have confidence in his team to get 1 yard. Maybe huddle the O up and say "phuck the refs, we won't give them a choice on this one, run it right down their God Dam throat right here".

Issue 3. It goes hand in hand with issue 2 but, for all the preaching about "wanting" to be a mentally and physically tough football team, it just isn't there. I think 20% of that can be due to your players (Siler, Spiked, Tebow, Wright) and the other 80% is the coach being able to instill that toughness and attitude. We did show some grit against South Carolina, BUT it's South Carolina guys. I didn't expect us to win contrary to what some may think, but like Donk, I expected to get beat by a couple of touchdowns as they pulled away late in the game but we fought hard the whole way WITHOUT self inflicted wounds.

Issue 4. Practice what you preach. Billy talking about being detailed oriented doesn't match what his team looks like on the field.

Issue 5. It's very small but Jesus can Billy stop wearing phucking black. Wear something blue or white. Seeing that $hit gives me the creeps. Not a fan of the uniforms either, it's for a good cause, but I love our traditional look.

I didn't come on here and post after the Tennessee, Vandy, and South Carolina wins because in my mind, those should be guranteed Wins every year. No matter how far the program has fallen, with a competent coach, those should be Wins, that includes Missouri and Kentucky as well. I was glad we won, but that isn't our Bar, and it never should be. Games against Georgia, LSU, Bama, FSU are our measuring stick. If we aren't competitive in those games, then we are under performing. At the moment I don't think he is the guy that can get us back to the top. I'm glad he is recruiting his tail off and hopefully he can keep the class together. No matter how this season ends, if he doesn't hire an OC I'm 100% out on him. Would love to see a ST coach hired as well but we need some body that can take advantage of the talented skill players we have and are incoming. Lastly, we have to start landing the big uglys on both sides if we want to get back to the top.

Go Gators and phuck every body else, may they all burn in hell

All true. I will say we've started getting some big uglies on the defense and have more coming in. I'm optimistic there, but the OL is what I thought it would be. I refuse to do the Hevesy defenses for the recruiting on the OL (diamonds in the rough, look what they did elsewhere, etc.). Some of that can be true, but the fact is many higher recruits have a better chance of being at least serviceable and faster.

Fun fact: Mertz pressure rate is currently 28%. That is less than he or especially AR faced last year. Granted, a sizeable portion of that could be all the screens and pop passes.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
The initial drive was perfectly executed; we were playing the No.: 1 team in the land: I was pumped at that point! But then, why the heroics in the 1st quarter made no sense to me. I have always believed that those kind of 4th down plays were reserved to get back in a game in the 4th quarter. I know we have done that pretty unsuccessfully all year long, but we beat USCe because we kicked it or tried field goals on 4th down.

Conservative plays with a team in rebuilding mode might have kept it close until the 4th quarter, but giving the No.: 1 team 3 scores in 5 minutes because we couldn't recover from one bone-head play was a disaster.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
baby fail GIF

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good points...........

We Suck against well Coached teams!

Prove me wrong....

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We Suck against well Coached teams!
Would "assignment football" be something we do not practice/teach? I can't believe it but if that's what staff is doing, they must be going crazy that our units are not executing their fundamental responsibilities. They must not sleep at night. I wouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator