Truth Takes: Kentucky Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game.

It’s not whether you lose, it’s how you lose the game.

Hurray for computers in airports and flight delays.

Before the game I described the Kentucky game as a must win game. I did it because it would be the best defense we have faced. I did it because of a previously abysmal road record that had one win on the road and that was against an A&M team ravaged by injuries and the flu. This was the chance to beat Kentucky, who I’m seeing on the Twitter and Facebook machines is apparently a juggernaut program we should be emulating. Maybe the standards have changed to average 7-8 wins a season while going absolutely ape sh*t if we get a 10th win in the Citrus Bowl (because Lord knows the expansion from big 4 bowls to big 6 bowls didn’t get the SEC #2 vs. Big Ten #2 match up that bowl mostly had for decades. I digress.

I said it was a must win and a loss would undo the progress that was made with the Kentucky win in light of the struggle to score TD’s at Charlotte. Well, hate to say it, but here we are. I thought there was a possibility of a loss, but for Kentucky to be up 23-0 and technically score all they needed to by the end of the first quarter is awful. I don’’t care how bright the sunshine you pump is, getting blown out by Kentucky is awful. There is no world where I accept that Kentucky blowing out Florida in football is ok.

On offense, we averaged 2.4 ypc. Johnson finally had the better stat game against an FBS opponent compared to Etienne. Neither one could overcome the failings of an OL that has plenty of time in college. I”m not going to act like this OL’s failure is because they are all so young. Barber a RS Sophomore is the youngest, but has many starts and more games under his belt, Leonard is a RS Junior, Kingsley is a 5th year Junior, Mazzccua is a RS Junior, and George is a 4th year Sophomore. Without Covid, we have all 3 Juniors and a Senior along with a guy who was freshman AA. There is enough experience there to not be failing spectacularly one on one against defenses with a pulse like Utah (who started a true freshman DE for his first game) and Kentucky.

Mertz was Mertz. Got a text that was not on my bingo card during the game, “I feel bad for Mertz he is doing the best he can with this _______ offense.” For his limitations, his inflated completion % due to LOS, behind LOS or barely beyond LOS throws, and his Derek Zoolander-like inability to turn left, he hasn’t been the problem. To clarify, yes, he is Derek Zoolander. He did throw 3 of his 30 passes left against Kentucky (I rightly said to my wife during the game a trips left was bs, we aren’t going there and we screened right), but that brings his season total to 9 passes outside of the left numbers. For comparison, he’s thrown 37 to the right on such throws. For more comparison he has 35 passes both behind the line of scrimmage and between the numbers this season.

I say the same things all the time about how we can help the OL through a quick passing game so beyond that mention I won’t.

Defense, we had a bad game. Bad games happen. What I don’t like is not having an offense that can make things happen when the defense isn’t dominant. 19 missed tackles is unacceptable as is giving up as many rushing yards as we did.

Kentucky found a way to exploit our defense with the trap. Many times guys were in position, but failed to make the tackle. The difference between this and LSU 2021 is at least we were in position a lot. LSU 2021 we were never in position nor did we make tackles. Also, this is one game. I’ll give the defense a bad game. It is if it becomes consistent that a problem may arise.

Again, it is not that we lost. It is how we lost, how we continue to lose. We continue to use and find ourselves down multiple scores. Florida is 5-9 against Power 5 opponents the last two seasons, in all 9 losses, including Vandy, we have been down multiple scores. For those clinging to the “improvement” subjective form of judging the season. Defense has improved, through 2 road games it hasn’t. It needs to start in Columbia or this season may spiral. There is no reason to worry about a Vandy team that only put up 28 on Kentucky...

We will learn a lot in the upcoming months, about this team and this staff. There was and is opportunity, but you’ve got to be prepared to play on the road in order to seize it. That is where we will learn about the team and the staff this year. Can they avoid being blown out in the remainder of their games away from the Swamp?

I’ve maintained that 7 wins is my line for acceptable this season. That is still on the table. Now is the time we acknowledge the road form has been a problem, but it doesn’t have to define the rest of the season. Now is the time to admit that maybe this offense does need work, but you can start work on some help and maybe let an assistant like Callaway audition for the rest of the season. Lots of things we are doing aren’t working, some things we are doing are. Time to move more things from the former group into the latter. Vandy is a good time to start, Carolina has a bad defense you can build on, then the bye week allows for more help.

Either way, I’m still going to every game I can, supporting this team and cheering for these kids.

Go Gators!

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
First!

Thanks for the write up Truth. As for saying theres no reason to worry about Vandy though? I don't know, its a little worrisome if you ask me.

Last edited:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014

Before the game I described the Kentucky game as a must win game. I did it because it would be the best defense we have faced. I did it because of a previously abysmal road record that had one win on the road and that was against an A&M team ravaged by injuries and the flu. This was the chance to beat Kentucky, who I’m seeing on the Twitter and Facebook machines is apparently a juggernaut program we should be emulating. Maybe the standards have changed to average 7-8 wins a season while going absolutely ape sh*t if we get a 10th win in the Citrus Bowl (because Lord knows the expansion from big 4 bowls to big 6 bowls didn’t get the SEC #2 vs. Big Ten #2 match up that bowl mostly had for decades. I digress.

I said it was a must win and a loss would undo the progress that was made with the Kentucky win in light of the struggle to score TD’s at Charlotte. Well, hate to say it, but here we are. I thought there was a possibility of a loss, but for Kentucky to be up 23-0 and technically score all they needed to by the end of the first quarter is awful. I don’’t care how bright the sunshine you pump is, getting blown out by Kentucky is awful. There is no world where I accept that Kentucky blowing out Florida in football is ok.

On offense, we averaged 2.4 ypc. Johnson finally had the better stat game against an FBS opponent compared to Etienne. Neither one could overcome the failings of an OL that has plenty of time in college. I”m not going to act like this OL’s failure is because they are all so young. Barber a RS Sophomore is the youngest, but has many starts and more games under his belt, Leonard is a RS Junior, Kingsley is a 5th year Junior, Mazzccua is a RS Junior, and George is a 4th year Sophomore. Without Covid, we have all 3 Juniors and a Senior along with a guy who was freshman AA. There is enough experience there to not be failing spectacularly one on one against defenses with a pulse like Utah (who started a true freshman DE for his first game) and Kentucky.

Mertz was Mertz. Got a text that was not on my bingo card during the game, “I feel bad for Mertz he is doing the best he can with this _______ offense.” For his limitations, his inflated completion % due to LOS, behind LOS or barely beyond LOS throws, and his Derek Zoolander-like inability to turn left, he hasn’t been the problem. To clarify, yes, he is Derek Zoolander. He did throw 3 of his 30 passes left against Kentucky (I rightly said to my wife during the game a trips left was bs, we aren’t going there and we screened right), but that brings his season total to 9 passes outside of the left numbers. For comparison, he’s thrown 37 to the right on such throws. For more comparison he has 35 passes both behind the line of scrimmage and between the numbers this season.

I say the same things all the time about how we can help the OL through a quick passing game so beyond that mention I won’t.

Defense, we had a bad game. Bad games happen. What I don’t like is not having an offense that can make things happen when the defense isn’t dominant. 19 missed tackles is unacceptable as is giving up as many rushing yards as we did.

Kentucky found a way to exploit our defense with the trap. Many times guys were in position, but failed to make the tackle. The difference between this and LSU 2021 is at least we were in position a lot. LSU 2021 we were never in position nor did we make tackles. Also, this is one game. I’ll give the defense a bad game. It is if it becomes consistent that a problem may arise.

Again, it is not that we lost. It is how we lost, how we continue to lose. We continue to use and find ourselves down multiple scores. Florida is 5-9 against Power 5 opponents the last two seasons, in all 9 losses, including Vandy, we have been down multiple scores. For those clinging to the “improvement” subjective form of judging the season. Defense has improved, through 2 road games it hasn’t. It needs to start in Columbia or this season may spiral. There is no reason to worry about a Vandy team that only put up 28 on Kentucky...

We will learn a lot in the upcoming months, about this team and this staff. There was and is opportunity, but you’ve got to be prepared to play on the road in order to seize it. That is where we will learn about the team and the staff this year. Can they avoid being blown out in the remainder of their games away from the Swamp?

I’ve maintained that 7 wins is my line for acceptable this season. That is still on the table. Now is the time we acknowledge the road form has been a problem, but it doesn’t have to define the rest of the season. Now is the time to admit that maybe this offense does need work, but you can start work on some help and maybe let an assistant like Callaway audition for the rest of the season. Lots of things we are doing aren’t working, some things we are doing are. Time to move more things from the former group into the latter. Vandy is a good time to start, Carolina has a bad defense you can build on, then the bye week allows for more help.

Either way, I’m still going to every game I can, supporting this team and cheering for these kids.

Go Gators!
We've learned all we need to know about this staff. You are what your record says your are. I'm not sure why people continue to cling to this fantasy that he's going to wake up one day and say "you know, the problem just might be me."

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
UK gave up 28 to Vandy like you said. Not sure that’s the best defense we’ve faced, they suck tbh.

We’ll look back at end of the season when UK has 5-7 losses and laugh at how inept we looked I’m sure.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks Truth, but 7-5…. I truly hope you are correct

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
None of the crap HC’s we have been burdened with have ever put their egos in check, looked in the mirror, and admitted core tenets of their approach needed to be changed. BN won’t either.

We’re stuck with suck for a long time it seems.

It’s been 15 years since our last SEC title. It looks like it will be many, many more before we get another, if ever….

We’re Vandy with a bigger campus. Jeremy Foley has done everything he could to make this happen. He wanted to be bigger than the football program or any HC (he hated SOS and did not want Meyer and still won’t go away cuz he’s got his hand up SS’s bum), and now everything is ruined. I hate that pos.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Nice write up but to say team need not worry about Vandy is plain wrong. This team has to worry about any and every opponent. To say USCe has an awful defense to imply that UF will shred it is just plain wrong. This team can't shred a head of cabbage. I like your write ups and your details, but sometimes think your opinions and assessments do not match the games you personally attend.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be absolutely shocked if we win any other SEC games besides vandy, and that's no gimme either. I see no path where we beat SC, mizz or dwags. Mizz and dwags are playing well. SC has been meh but they haven't been an abject disaster.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
The Gators played complementary football...at its worst. OL abused, DL stonewalled, missed tackles, devastating special team penalty and basically got beat up.

It is what it was. Time to move on and prep for the next opponent.

Aug 5, 2014
What was FSU’s Norvells record his 1st 2 years? What was his 1st recruiting class ranking? How loud was the “ Fire” NorveLLLL noise? Considering the player purge and young roster I vote to give him a chance. My very humble opinion
Well, he has a chance right now and he looks inept....Norvell has some semblance of an offensive scheme, he just had terrible QB play his first two years. He also worked the portal very well....what possibly could anyone see from this High School offense that would make one believe in Napier's offensive vision. He needs to let go of the offense and bring in an OC, which would of course be a shot to the ole ego, something previous moronic and terrible hires had problems with...

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Good write up, @GatorTruth133 . One thing I disagree with you on is your last statement. I'll support the team, because I'm a Gator "in all kinds of weather." But until something changes radically, I will not spend money and time to watch another disaster like last week (and I forsee more of them coming).

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I’m still watching and being miserable. Now paying money for a road trip to da ville…….

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators!
Great write up and well put. I'm a little more skeptical than you about the win total. I would love to see 7-5 at this point that would be a great step forward and progress toward the future. Like you it will not stop me from cheering on the team. Go Gators!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
First!

Thanks for the write up Truth. As for saying theres no reason to worry about Vandy though? I don't know, its a little worrisome if you ask me.
Nice write up but to say team need not worry about Vandy is plain wrong. This team has to worry about any and every opponent. To say USCe has an awful defense to imply that UF will shred it is just plain wrong. This team can't shred a head of cabbage. I like your write ups and your details, but sometimes think your opinions and assessments do not match the games you personally attend.

Sorry, the ellipsis didn't have the effect I thought it would in conjunction with pointing out Vandy scored 28 on this UK team. I was thinking partially sarcastically kind of the Naked Gun Nothing to See Here type vibe
Explosion Reaction GIF

And I didn't say you could shred on Carolina. I said that if you begin making some tweaks now against Vandy, you can build on those tweaks against an overall against the current 121st FBS defense.

UK gave up 28 to Vandy like you said. Not sure that’s the best defense we’ve faced, they suck tbh.

We’ll look back at end of the season when UK has 5-7 losses and laugh at how inept we looked I’m sure.

I think they are better than a Utah team that lost its best LB on the first or second series and starting true freshman DL. I don't think McNeese, UT or Charlotte are better. Now, the best we will face? That is a question.

I'd be absolutely shocked if we win any other SEC games besides vandy, and that's no gimme either. I see no path where we beat SC, mizz or dwags. Mizz and dwags are playing well. SC has been meh but they haven't been an abject disaster.
Here's the path, they do what Tennessee did in the first half and put 6 guys in the box.

Good write up, @GatorTruth133 . One thing I disagree with you on is your last statement. I'll support the team, because I'm a Gator "in all kinds of weather." But until something changes radically, I will not spend money and time to watch another disaster like last week (and I forsee more of them coming).
Notice I used the first person "I". I don't blame anyone for feeling this way and if people want to do their thing, that's cool. I am not about to tell people how to fan...unless

Yes, I did post something on my podcast Twitter that I know someone copied to Facebook as well. I did say (not as specifically as this), if you were in the stands when the alma mater was played, it was bs not to sing and support the few players who came over to sing it. If you were at the game and left early, I had no qualms with that. I know I might be dragged for saying if you're in the position to show support, do so.

What was FSU’s Norvells record his 1st 2 years? What was his 1st recruiting class ranking? How loud was the “ Fire” NorveLLLL noise? Considering the player purge and young roster I vote to give him a chance. My very humble opinion

Norvell didn't have a Spring/Summer or ability to host recruits his first season. All of that put him behind schedule in a way Billy wasn't put there. I've said elsewhere and will repeat this here, Jimbo left FSU in the state Mullen left UF, then Taggart DP'd it. It's almost as apples and oranges as you get factually.

Great write up and well put. I'm a little more skeptical than you about the win total. I would love to see 7-5 at this point that would be a great step forward and progress toward the future. Like you it will not stop me from cheering on the team. Go Gators!

I've seen a few I haven't quoted, but will say this generally. Before the season I predicted 7-5 and said that (as did several others including I think Ox) 7 wins should be the minimum this year.

Is that still possible? Yes. Do I still see that happening? Ask me after Carolina. My point was more about I'm trying to see it out this season before fully reacting. If we get to loss 6, which could be Arky or LSU, then we can definitely go further. I don't blame those who see the writing on the wall for the season. I feel a lot of the same way. I'm just trying to see it play out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator