Truth Takes: Party In The City Where the Heat Is On

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
For my 1,000 post, I figured I'd preview the upcoming bowl game. What does this game mean? To quote Saladin in the movie Kingdom of Heaven, "Nothing, Everything." In the grand scheme, this game against the 2nd best team in the ACC, which is like a guy who beats an armless man in a thumb wrestling contest, doesn't mean anything. It doesn't change what has been accomplished, likely doesn't change who stays and who goes and surely will have minimal impact on recruiting as most have already signed. However, this game means everything in the sense that it shows the program continues to progress. It shows that we have improved a win total from last year. It shows off the brand in primetime against a power 5 opponent with national coverage. Something we haven't had since Baton Rouge. A loss will bring tons of negativity so in many ways though a loss would have little baring it would feed the naysayers

Offense

Statistically speaking, Virginia will be the 9th ranked defense we will be facing when compared to the opponents we have already faced. Some may point out that they may be higher if not for the display of dominance by Clemson. I would argue that they also have played plenty of inept offenses like Miami, who they lost to. Seriously, you can blame Miami even making a bowl on Virginia.

We should be able to move the ball on them and indeed, if this is Toney's last game, then let's feed him the ball and let him ball out. I also want to give Perine some love on his way out the door for four solid years. I wish that he had a better line his final year, but he made up for some of that with his pass catching ability. Can't fault a guy for doing what he can and working hard to do it.

I would love for Trask to put up numbers comparable to Berlin/Grossman 18 years ago when they beat the hell out of Maryland, another ACC (at the time) school in Miami. Heck, the offense should be a good portion of why this game shouldn't be close.

Prediction: at least 4 passing TD's. With that said, everyone will probably get tackled at the one and we punch it in on the ground multiple times just to spite the prediction.

Defense

Against two of the best defenses they faced, Miami and Clemson, Virginia put up 26 combined points in the loss. I think they might have a little more success in Miami as out defense has had a few issues with QB's with mobility. I'm thinking they may hit the 21/24 mark.

We are also going to be missing Hendo. Some people who cursed Fournette and others are probably now siding with Hendo on sitting out and vice versa. The way I see it is it will get Elam more experience. I've been impressed with his little playing time this year and his great positioning. Get him more experience going into next season along with Kimbrough and others. Try Dean at Safety, maybe we will find quality we are lacking. Greenard and company could have a field day with UVA's offensive line though.

ST
Keep giving McPherson a chance to become UF's all-time leading scorer. Find a returner. You have plenty of players who are secured in the redshirt, give them a shot.

This is a bowl game that should be nice, easy fun for the Gators. A time for us to try new things, use new guys and still give our seniors one last showing in a major game. I think it may be close early and then the doors get blown off like against FSU.

Florida 45 Virginia 21

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's a game we should win on paper. We have the better players. We've played the tougher schedule and have a better record. It's not a play-off bowl though, so it's entirely possible our players come out feeling full of themselves and end up in a dog fight. I hope that doesn't happen, and I really don't think Mullen will allow them to come into the game thinking the win is already pre-ordained, but we're talking about a bunch of 18-24 year olds. Anything can happen. I'm looking forward to seeing Zuniga and Greenard on the field together again, and seeing some of the younger guys get a chance to show what we have in store for our future.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we are not too overconfident......

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I hope we are not too overconfident......

That’s partially what made me think of the Sugar Bowl after the 2012 season. We should run a train and if we don’t, there needs to be a long hard look at necessary changes. This is a big game and we came out flat in plenty of those this year. Whether we won or not

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes on paper UF should not have an issue. With Vargina losing/missing 6 of it's defense will not bode them well.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Huh? You talking about a source you have? And what “changes”?

No, just quoting Truth’s language and the fact that changes in staff is already a frequent topic of some passion here on GCMB. Sorry if that didn’t come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator