Truth Takes: Tennessee Review 2023

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Losing this game, especially badly, would have been nearly dooming for this staff and our program for a long time, while springboarding a direct rival. The season start would be in serious doubt, a 5 win season would look realistic, and the recruits in the building would be questioning their decisions. This leaves open the chance for a 9 win season, good bowl game, being ranked at the end of the season, and staying top 5 recruiting class, while building the 2025 class.

Nearly every hope we have for the next 2-3 years of the future, and everyone must question their ut love-fest, at least from a 10,000 ft perspective seems possible.

When we get very granular, however, last night's plan for success of several 14+ play drives every game is simply not sustainable. Nor are our current passing attack, constant bunch decisions, poor timeout management, and limited options in the passing game looking any better after this game. No one said this offensive scheme would never work, but it will result in losing games where you have no business losing due to penalties, a slip in the backfield, one zero yard play, etc. See Utah.

With a win though, those offensive concept issues feel fixable. Our DC has already addressed so much in one off-season, that it circles back to still having real hope today that the offense can do the same (especially as recruiting continues to improve). That, and stalling ut's progress, is why last night was sooooo damn important and felt soooo good.

EDIT - One other observation/question I am starting to think about is whether what we are seeing is Napier's choice/preference for the passing game (I still lean towards yes), or is it him adjusting for a QB who makes good decisions, but just really doesn't have the intermediate/long game as a strength so he is not putting him in spots to fail. It's certainly possible, as we did throw some more intermediate routes with AR.

Last edited:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I didn't think we had a chance in hell of beating Tennessee last night. I will give Billy and staff credit; they had the team ready to play. Its obvious Tennessee couldn't handle the Swamp yet again, credit to the fans.

I also think our new DC is the real deal. Our defense is light years better than it has played in the last several years for sure.

Corch is going to have to bite the bullet and admit defeat on his Special Teams plan and hire a coordinator. This continues to be a major problem every week, not sure what else he needs to see to realize the current state of affairs aren't cutting it.

Overall a season saving win for the Good Guys last night.

Also I don't know what Huepel thought he was accomplishing with his last second timeout last night but that's bulletin board fodder for next year for us.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Losing this game, especially badly, would have been nearly dooming for this staff and our program for a long time, while springboarding a direct rival. The season start would be in serious doubt, a 5 win season would look realistic, and the recruits in the building would be questioning their decisions. This leaves open the chance for a 9 win season, good bowl game, being ranked at the end of the season, and staying top 5 recruiting class, while building the 2025 class.

Nearly every hope we have for the next 2-3 years of the future, and everyone must question their ut love-fest, at least from a 10,000 ft perspective seems possible.

When we get very granular, however, last night's plan for success of several 14+ play drives every game is simply not sustainable. Nor are our current passing attack, constant bunch decisions, poor timeout management, and limited options in the passing game looking any better after this game. No one said this offensive scheme would never work, but it will result in losing games where you have no business losing due to penalties, a slip in the backfield, one zero yard play, etc. See Utah.

With a win though, those offensive concept issues feel fixable. Our DC has already addressed so much in one off-season, that it circles back to still having real hope today that the offense can do the same (especially as recruiting continues to improve). That, and stalling ut's progress, is why last night was sooooo damn important and felt soooo good.
It feels very reminiscent of Muschamp philosophy of playing great defense, 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense, get a small lead and then sit on it. I understand playing keep away with a quick strike tempo offense like Tennessee plays, but its what we do every week.

Even Fowler said at some point in the 4th quarter that we had "forgotten about the forward pass." That was a common joke during the Chump era.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks Truth!

Happy for the win, but there’s a lot to clean up.

I don’t like seeing a RB break tackles and drag our defenders several yds to convert 3rd & 8 or 10.

Maybe it was Mertz’s hand injury, but we got conservative in the 2nd half. And I don’t believe Wilson III is the only one capable of running the jet sweep. We abandoned that play after the first drive.

I also wondered if we failed to make 2nd half adjustments, or if the players got complacent and came out flat.

We need a ST coach, period. But Happy to see Smack seize his opportunity.

And does anyone know why someone swapped their #0 and #43 jersey 20 times last night? That’s gotta be a distraction the coaches don’t need. Tell the kid to accept the jersey # available to him or find another team. I know SOS and Batesy would agree…

To end on a positive note (ya know, after a win, lol). We’re more consistent on O, stiffer in the middle on D, and the overall toughness of this team has improved - they didn’t wilt after the vol’s first TD, nor when they started moving the ball against us in the 2nd.

Go Gators!!!

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Still not a fan of the O play calling or scheme but the guys did their job last night. This wasn’t a contend year but Billy needed to show we are moving forward on the field and they did that last night. This was a game we needed to steal based on predictions and if we take care of business could be bowl eligible before UGA which would be huge perception wise.
The blocking schemes seem complicated and last night looked like OL was getting it. Could see a dominating OL later in the season.

We don’t know if our offense “failed” in the second half or if Napier cut it off, do we? Would have liked to see one TD drive second half for good measure.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The blocking schemes seem complicated and last night looked like OL was getting it. Could see a dominating OL later in the season.

We don’t know if our offense “failed” in the second half or if Napier cut it off, do we? Would have liked to see one TD drive second half for good measure.
Napier definitely took his foot off the gas. Mertz only attempted 4 passes the whole second half I believe after going 17 for 20 in the first half. Tennessee is lucky the score was as close as it was. If Napier wanted I believe we could of put up 50 on those fuchs.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
That was one of those instances last night where you guys got the following post in the box from me for "a view into the future"... I was going to knock off posting in real time from the game because I know it MIGHT be annoying for you guys, but after @Altitude Gator posted "spoiler alert" around the 15th time, I said "F it!" :lol:
boom GIF

LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
The first couple times, I was annoyed...but decided to pay attention and play along. It became a fun theme in the camper with @Altitude Gator Jr.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Still not a fan of the O play calling or scheme but the guys did their job last night. This wasn’t a contend year but Billy needed to show we are moving forward on the field and they did that last night. This was a game we needed to steal based on predictions and if we take care of business could be bowl eligible before UGA which would be huge perception wise.
I thought the play calling in the first half was sharp, especially early. Using Wilson to loosen up their rush defense early was smart. 2nd half was pedestrian, but maybe Mertz was dinged up, plus Wilson out. I’d prefer aggression.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Any fallout / discipline / suspensions from the last play of the game? Flags were thrown. Vols coach is stupid for calling timeout down by 13 there.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
EDIT - One other observation/question I am starting to think about is whether what we are seeing is Napier's choice/preference for the passing game (I still lean towards yes), or is it him adjusting for a QB who makes good decisions, but just really doesn't have the intermediate/long game as a strength so he is not putting him in spots to fail. It's certainly possible, as we did throw some more intermediate routes with AR.
When asked about the run heavy offense by Holly Rowe, Napier said yes that who they are. I took it to mean that's who he wants us to be.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Also I don't know what Huepel thought he was accomplishing with his last second timeout last night but that's bulletin board fodder for next year for us.
Someone posted a video of him apologizing to Napier. Could the reason have been that the TN team had started heading towards the locker room and he had to get them back for the final play?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This what stood out to me the most against Utah. I was expecting that aspect of the passing game to be Mertz bread and butter. Anyhow, hopefully this game was a confidence builder for Napier and Mertz going forward as far the intermediate passing game goes.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This what stood out to me the most against Utah. I was expecting that aspect of the passing game to be Mertz bread and butter. Anyhow, hopefully this game was a confidence builder for Napier and Mertz going forward as far the intermediate passing game goes.
Mertz appeared to be jacked up for this game. I think he’s enjoying his time here right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.