Tuesday Favorites…new and improved food

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Milk is another example of something that apparently used to taste much better when it was delivered daily from local farms.

I'm not old enough to remember that though, so I'd actually say that the improvement in ultra pasteurization has made it so that milk just never goes bad anymore.
We used to get non-homogenized milk. The cream would separate and I would pour it off on my Rice Krispies. Really good. Sucked getting up second in my house.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Tillamook is great ice cream. For any of you who live in the midwest (Wisc/Ill/Minn) see if you can find Cedar Crest. It's even better than Tillamook. (And the factory where they make it is in @MidwestChomp 's hometown!)
Tillamook is good but Blue Bell is better. I think it has some sort of addictive drug in it. Particularly fond of the Buttered Pecan flavor. I have been known to saute pecans in butter and brown sugar to use as sauce on the Buttered Pecan ice cream. Is that wrong?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Was at both places last month. They didn't used to have the sign under the cow and somewhere is a picture of my kids standing underneath Bernice. The ice cream is not cheap, but it's phenomenal. Best milk shake I've ever had. My mom used to take us to Beerntsen's when we were kids and we still go back every year. I don't think it looks any different from when she was a kid.

View attachment 46668
Yep! They haven't done a thing in the shop. It has looked the same forever. The wood working is really great. I remember getting the ribbon candy and the red gummy coins a lot. But the best thing was on the right side in the glass case the big chocolate pieces they had. I always wanted the the chocolate bowling ball set.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tillamook is good but Blue Bell is better. I think it has some sort of addictive drug in it. Particularly fond of the Buttered Pecan flavor. I have been known to saute pecans in butter and brown sugar to use as sauce on the Buttered Pecan ice cream. Is that wrong?

This is the comparison I was going to ask about.
I got addicted to Blue Bell while living in Dallas during the early nineties. I have yet to find anything close to as tasty that is available in grocery stores.

I will try the Tillamook brand and compare it to Blue Bell the bar is pretty high. Blue Blue Homestyle Vanilla tastes like the ice cream your Dad used to make with the old churn.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Kroger had a really good deal on the ice cream sandwiches a few months ago so we tried these. Very good!

2021_IC_Sandwich_SaltedCaramel.png
I don't think the Kroger is as credible as Tillamook.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I don't think the Kroger is as credible as Tillamook.
I think CD was only saying Kroger was having a special on the Tillmook Ice Sandwiches, so she tried them. Not a Kroger branded ice cream sammich.

FWIW....I just got the new weekly update on the Publix weekly sale starting today(I'm fairly sure it applies to all Publix) All week till next Wed. :yes:

Tillamook Ice Cream​

220804_12_CF_img_1485591764.jpg

Buy 1 Get 1 FREE
Free item of equal or lesser price
48-oz ctn. or Ice Cream Sandwiches, 4-ct. 12-oz box

SAVE UP TO $6.65

Attachments

• 1659549246684.png
    1659549246684.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 5

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think CD was only saying Kroger was having a special on the Tillmook Ice Sandwiches, so she tried them. Not a Kroger branded ice cream sammich.

FWIW....I just got the new weekly update on the Publix weekly sale starting today(I'm fairly sure it applies to all Publix) All week till next Wed. :yes:

Tillamook Ice Cream​

220804_12_CF_img_1485591764.jpg

Buy 1 Get 1 FREE
Free item of equal or lesser price
48-oz ctn. or Ice Cream Sandwiches, 4-ct. 12-oz box

SAVE UP TO $6.65
The ad doesn't seem credible to me.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pro Tip:

It's about the percentage of butterfat and the ratio of dairy to air.

Cheap ice cream that feels icy in your mouth is more air and less butterfat. Homemade and super premium ice cream has less air and more butterfat.

If you melt a half gallon of cheapo ice cream and a half gallon of the good stuff, there will be more of the good stuff and it will be fattier than the cheapo.

To be called ice cream, you have to have a minimum of 10% butterfat. Cheapo is just over the 10%. The best are over 15% but less than 20%.

As much as half of your ice cream can be air and that's what cheapo is. The best ice cream contains about half as much air.

So here's the tip: Look at the nutritional information. More fat and calories is better ice cream.

Alex.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pro Tip:

Cheap ice cream that feels icy in your mouth is more air and less butterfat. Homemade and super premium ice cream has less air and more butterfat.

If you melt a half gallon of cheapo ice cream and a half gallon of the good stuff, there will be more of the good stuff and it will be fattier than the cheapo.

To be called ice cream, you have to have a minimum of 10% butterfat. Cheapo is just over the 10%. The best are over 15% but less than 20%.

As much as half of your ice cream can be air and that's what cheapo is. The best ice cream contains about half as much air.

So here's the tip: Look at the nutritional information. More fat and calories is better ice cream.

Alex.
For the air content you can also feel how heavy one is relative to the other.

Another note is that if you add egg as an ingredient it will be creamier. Ice cream has up to 1.4% egg yolk and anything more than that makes it a frozen custard.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Pro Tip:

Alex.

Also pro tip:
When making your own ice cream make sure the frozen container is inserted before pouring in the milk into the ice cream maker. :facepalm:

Lil Seedy texted me one day when I was out mowing on the tractor about how to clean up the mess. I refused to come inside. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator