Tuesday Favorites.... Potatoes

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Love tater tots. Especially with brown mustard and malt vinegar.

Also love pretty much anything made from sweet potatoes.

I have a kid who refuses to eat ANYTHING made from any kind of potato.

Weird. Our daughter doesn’t do potatoes either. Never has. Says it’s a texture thing. Doesn’t like beans either. I don’t get it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lyonnaise, regular fries (not wedges or tots), and really crispy shredded hash browns with onions. In that order for me.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yessir. Quincy had several owned by a businessman by the name of JQ Kelly, “Kelly’s Jr.” There was one across US 90 from where I lived. Can’t tell you how many trips I made across that road for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread, or if I had some money from Coke bottle refunds or yard raking I’d buy a comic book and a Coke.

“Kelly’s Kitchen” was located on 90 just above Corry Athletic Field and the Nat’l Guard Armory where I grew up playing football, baseball, and basketball. It was pretty frequently that we stopped and grabbed a chicken box and tater logs on the way home. Just across the street from Corry Field was the Joe Wedles packing house where shade leaf tobacco was processed, stored, and shipped for the Hav-a-Tampa cigar company. I worked there several summers after all the tobacco was primed and cured on the farm and I’d go up the street to Kelly’s many days for lunch. Those were good, simple times.

We had a Junior Food store on Jackson Bluff road - just down the road from Rose Printing (where my Mom worked ...and I did a summer stint there back in the bindery) and Messer Park where I played football, baseball and later...softball.
Used to go over to Junior's for crap food too. Mainly anything with sugar and those Wacky Packages back in the day.

You also mentioned Chandler's - we had one on Pensacola street and my buddy Jeff Blackburn's dad managed it.
Good times.
It became a Wendy's years ago.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
@Nalt I reckon the tater logs were beneath the typical Alabama culinary requirements? Kind of a head scratcher as they are usually tender enough to eat without teeth.

*I can say this as all my daddy’s folks are from Geneva county!
I'm right next door to Geneva County in Houston County.

And my vote goes to Waffle House hash browns scattered, smothered, covered and chunked.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm right next door to Geneva County in Houston County.

And my vote goes to Waffle House hash browns scattered, smothered, covered and chunked.
Good to know about another Gator with roots in the Alabama red clay! As I recall, the hash browns you mention are particularly good after the midnight hour :)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
@Swampy! He's one with a special story during the Spurrier era.

:chomp:

@Swampy!
tenor.gif

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Good tots tossed in salt, pepper and parmesan. Served with sriracha ketchup

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Sliced red potatoes baked in the oven with salt, pepper, and rosemary.

goes so well with an extra bloody steak and a Cabernet

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Sliced red potatoes baked in the oven with salt, pepper, and rosemary.

goes so well with an extra bloody steak and a Cabernet

I've got red potatoes and gold yukons in the garden. Just microwaved some small ones for a few minutes then smashed them on a pan with a glass. Poured olive oil and seasoning on them and roasting them in the oven for dinner.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I've got red potatoes and gold yukons in the garden. Just microwaved some small ones for a few minutes then smashed them on a pan with a glass. Poured olive oil and seasoning on them and roasting them in the oven for dinner.
That sounds pretty good, and more importantly, easy. Almost like a thick potato chip w/out the oil.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The Most Expensive French Fries in the World Cost $200

The most expensive French fries in the world are priced at $200. And as of July 13 of this year, they were considered the most expensive on the globe by the Guinness World Record.

According to CNN Travel, the preparation of this dish, called La Crème de la Crème Pommes Frites, begins with Chipperbec potatoes, which are blanched in vinegar and champagne. They are then fried in pure goose fat twice in order to make them crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

These potatoes are dusted with edible gold and seasoned with salt and truffle oil. In addition, they are served on a glass plate adorned with an orchid and accompanied by thinly sliced truffles and Mornay cheese. Finally, the sauce is also infused with truffles and a seasonal mushroom.

Although the fries are the main and standout news, restaurant executive chef Frederick Schoen-Kiewert commented that “the truffle is the main star here.”

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm an old fuddy duddy, simply, a large Idaho baked tater, salt, pepper, butter, and a small pinch of sharp cheddar.

There is a bbq place up in Galax, Virginia that does smoked baked potates, and smoked mashed potatoes, leave them in the smoker for six hours. Unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.