Two-time defending division champ Florida fights public perception

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ed Aschoff article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...two-time-defending-division-champ-fights-back

Two-time defending division champ Florida fights public perception

Khairi Clark hates the narrative. He detests the label it puts on his team.

Defense wins championships, but it just isn't enough if the corresponding offense can't score what the public deems is the appropriate amount of points.

That's the storyline Clark, a rising redshirt junior defensive lineman, and his fellow Florida Gators are married to. Florida might have one of college football's premier defenses and back-to-back SEC East titles under a brand new head coach, but because the offense has been stuck in the mud during that span -- and for nearly a decade -- the Gators aren't taken seriously nationally or as true SEC contenders.

upload_2017-4-6_13-10-51.png

Brandon Powell, who has witnessed the struggles of the Will Muschamp era at Florida and the resurgence under McElwain. "That’s why I stay off of social media. I stopped listening to those people.”

The truth is Florida hasn't moved the needle in the fun department. Wins are the ultimate goal, but averaging fewer than 350 YPG and 24 PPG has turned off some fans, and players understand it. Defense has won games for the Gators, but fans want a healthy dish of offense at the table.

“We have the best fans in the country, and they expect the most out of us," senior safety Nick Washington said. "They expect the best out of us all the time, so winning the East two years in a row and them not being satisfied, as a team we’re not really satisfied with just winning the East two years in a row. I can’t really be too upset with our fans. I see where they are coming from.”

That's fair of Washington, but it's also fair for people to realize that Florida has come a long way in two years. Say what you will about an Eastern Division that has struggled of late, but Florida did its job while six other teams couldn't.

Without a stable quarterback situation, Florida has won the East twice. With five revolving doors along the offensive line, Florida made it to Atlanta twice.

Despite scoring 21 points or fewer in 13 of 27 games under McElwain, Florida has played in the Georgia Dome twice.

If McElwain's Gators averaged 30 points and had the same record, fans would be clamoring for a raise.

"We're a Presbyterian game being canceled away from [McElwain] having back-to-back 10-win seasons in his first two years," first-year Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin said. "I don't think he gets credit for that. ... There's a lack of appreciation for what he's done."

The offense is hard to watch, but recognition should be given to this staff and this team for earning consecutive division titles, after losing its national relevance for the better part of the previous five years before McElwain arrived.

"Before the season starts, there are other teams that are chosen to win the East over us, and I feel like those other teams chosen have no ability over us if we play with the mindset that we know we can beat those teams," Clark said. "I don’t know what it’s going to take for people to realize that, because I feel like when we do do well we have people on our side for a second, and then they’ll switch back up.”

People tend to blast the offense when it comes to undermining Florida, but Clark is quick to point out that this year's defense hasn't received its usual love. With six possible early-round draft picks gone from last year's sixth-ranked defense, Clark hears how there's more uncertainty with this team because the defense might need more help from the offense.

Clark would love more offensive help, but that doesn't mean the defense is in trouble.

"The attitude is the same as it was last year: We're the best defense in the nation," Clark said. "Just because we're losing guys, that doesn't mean our defense is going to go down. We're going to do everything and handle everything, like we usually do."

Regardless, the offense is under the microscope. It hasn't been any better than 82nd nationally in total offense or 43rd in scoring since 2009. Under the offensive-minded McElwain, Florida has ranked 99th or worse in those categories in both seasons.

Florida has had one 800-yard receiver since 2009. In the past two years, Florida's beaten-up offensive line has been held together with Scotch tape. Inefficient quarterbacks have cycled through on an orange-and-blue conveyor belt for almost a decade at a program that seemingly invented high-flying ball and nonstop scoring in the 1990s with Steve Spurrier's "Fun 'N' Gun" offense.

However, 2017 fuels more hope. Florida has arguably one of the top receiving groups in the SEC, headlined by All-SEC talent Antonio Callaway. It also returns a stable of solid running backs and has an offensive line that could be the league's most improved, with four quality starters returning.

Most important, McElwain has two quarterbacks in Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask whom he personally recruited to fit his offense. Neither freshman has taken a collegiate snap, but both have big arms, and teammates are more confident in the look of the offense when either is under center.

“I believe we do have a chip on our shoulder," running back Mark Thompson said. "We’ll work on that. … You’ll see results this fall. We’re going to score a lot of touchdowns.”

What's said and even seen during spring probably won't change outsiders' minds, but you can't knock the Gators' confidence.

As we've learned, Florida has a way of surprising us. There are the East titles. There's last year's thrilling, last-second win at LSU, which was supposed to be played in Gainesville.

Then, there's the supposed dreadful national signing day that turned into a top-15 haul that included 10 ESPN 300 members and 12 of the state of Florida's top 100 prospects, including 11 of the top 60 -- both numbers better than in-state rivals Florida State and Miami.

"There are a lot of positives," McElwain said.

While there has been no official doubt (SEC preseason media picks won't be announced until after media days in mid-July), the Gators are already tired of the noise. They don't want to hear about Georgia or Tennessee. They don't want to hear about two mediocre divisional titles.

They want their respect, and they intend to get it.

“We’ve won it back-to-back years," rising sophomore receiver Josh Hammond said. "I don’t see why you wouldn’t think we’d win it a third time."

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know the players have to tow the line but Stricklin saying there is a lack of appreciation for what Mac has done is a joke. We only won the East with these horrid offenses the past 2 years under him because the rest of the division was a joke compared to most years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know the players have to tow the line but Stricklin saying there is a lack of appreciation for what Mac has done is a joke. We only won the East with these horrid offenses the past 2 years under him because the rest of the division was a joke compared to most years.

Stricklin is just towing the line, and will until it's time to break him off.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin is just towing the line, and will until it's time to break him off.

I know but I don't think he would even consider cutting ties after this year even if we had some crazy 7-5 record with another terrible offense. Hopefully it doesn't come to that this season. Mac got just a good enough class this year to take the heat off of that part of it for a while (if multiple ones don't end up not qualifying).

Speaking of defense I just don't see any way they don't drop down into the 20's at least there which will mean Mac better show he can produce some offense finally.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know but I don't think he would even consider cutting ties after this year even if we had some crazy 7-5 record with another terrible offense. Hopefully it doesn't come to that this season. Mac got just a good enough class this year to take the heat off of that part of it for a while (if multiple ones don't end up not qualifying).

Speaking of defense I just don't see anyway they don't drop down into the 20's at least there which will mean Mac better show he can produce some offense finally.

The only way the defense stays in at least the 20-30 is a more ball control offense. We lost too many pieces, too much youth.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know the players have to tow the line...

e.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure this thread will end well.

Why would anyone think this team is a serious national contender or even an SEC contender?

I'll hang up and listen.

EDIT: Eddie went to UF fyi.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Why would anyone think this team is a serious national contender or even an SEC contender?

I'll hang up and listen.

Not many if any think that. They just are different than you because they arent wishing us to fail.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The US Coast Guard Cutter HEALY. I've sailed on her in 2015. The scientists on that cruise were a bunch of a-holes. They asked our cooks if they could put out snacks! (true story)
I like snacks! :bandit:
And I'm a scientist. :lol:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Then get a gig going out on a Coast Guard Icebreaker and ask the CG to serve up some snacks.....you'll fit right in!
I have a UF buddy who goes out on scientific vessels all the time - he's a Geology prof at Oregon State. He likes snacks too. :lol:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
You just verified a lot of Aschoff's and Clark's comments, and not in a good way.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

I'll hang up and listen.

EDIT: Eddie went to UF fyi.
Nick Washington was talking about you, T.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Washington was talking about you, T.
“We have the best fans in the country, and they expect the most out of us," senior safety Nick Washington said. "They expect the best out of us all the time, so winning the East two years in a row and them not being satisfied, as a team we’re not really satisfied with just winning the East two years in a row. I can’t really be too upset with our fans. I see where they are coming from.”

It's as almost as if he reads GC. If he reads SG he'll think we've won back to back nattys and Mac is the second coming of the Bear/Saban/Rockne/Jesus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator