UF 3rd in 2018-19 Director's Cup

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
How many NCAA titles did the? winG win 1? How could they be so high with only one NCAA title and they only play half the sports like Stanford UCLA and USC do? We know why Stanford has won so many time accumulation of playing 35 to 40 sports per school year. it's an unbelievable advantage you can be mediocre too bad and 25 sports good inside and still win the directors cup. SMH.

Has an SEC team / school ever won this award?
Florida had 11 of their sports teams finish in the national Top 10 and on the sliding points scale of points awarded it added up to an excellent standing. The Director's Cup only uses the 19 best finishes of each university when calculating their standings. 4 sports must be counted from all schools - baseball, men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball. Stanford has a definite advantage because they have 36 sports, so they have a lot of room for error. Michigan & North Carolina have 27 sports, UCLA 25, Georgia 23. Florida has 21, when you count indoor and outdoor track as separate sports. And SEC team has never won it. Florida is the ONLY SEC tam that finishes in the Top 10 every year, normally in the Top 5 (the last 11 years). Florida could easily add more sports at a fairly low cost and be immediately competitive in most of them, where fewer teams are competing for national titles. But for whatever reasons they have opted not to so far. I'm just proud of the consistent excellence our sports teams achieve. And not only that we are the only D1 team to be ranked in the Top 10 nationally both on the field and in the classroom, where our athlete academics are top tier as well.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
:yawn: 4000 per game, huh? Show me a pic of the stands.

Tunnelvision is spending 80% of your money on something other than the thing that peoduces 90% of your income.

Even at Kintucky, football is king and produces more revenue.
I saw plenty of pictures of Ben Hill Griffin stadium with thousands of empty seats every game. Does the picture in this link look anywhere near the announced attendance? We asked. You answered. Why college football attendance is down Football attendance is declining and other sports are ascending - that is an absolute fact. There is talk of reducing the seating capacity in college football stadiums all over the country, UF among them. And I don't believe that football produces 90% of the income. Do you have stats to back that up or is it just something you burned into your brain and refuse to seek out or listen to the truth?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Man I must be getting old. I can't believe I missed the Directors Cup. When was it played? Was it on ESPN or Fox or CBS maybe? I mean I'm on this board most every day and I also visit ESPN, Yahoo sports and other sports focused sites regularly and I didn't see anything about it. I'm so bummed I missed it. I bought all kinds of Florida gator Directors Cup t-shirts, caps, cups, mugs, car magnets, key chains, etc. and now I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with all of it. Oh well, at least all that money went to support all those great programs that got close, but failed to win the Cup. Maybe next year I guess.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I started this thread to share great news about the University of Florida's amazing success in athletics. Something all Gators should be proud of. Yet some use the opportunity to bash and demean athletes, coaches and programs that are not football. It's shameful and disgusting to me that there are people who place one group of athletes so much above others and say they don't care about the contributions of so many hard-working GATORS. I love our Gator football program, but love all the others as well. It's that attitude that football is king and all other sports are secondary that gives the entitlement attitude to so many football players from Pop Warner to high school to college and then to the NFL. It's no wonder that most, if not all, the arrests and suspensions, which embarrass the university, come from the football program. You seldom, if ever, see athletes in the "minor" sports disrespecting themselves, their families, their temmates, their coaches and their universities. They work just as hard and many of them do so on partial scholarships, some paying their own way for the privilege of being a Gator. So to those who diss on programs other than the almighty football, I say you're narrowminded and shallow. I'm proud to be a Florida Gator and cheer on all other Florida Gators.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I get it comrade. From each according to his ability to each according to his needs.

Look, I'm trying to have a little fun here at your expense. Its been over a decade since the football team has won anything, but at least they did win a few times. We've never won the Directors Cup. Stanford has won it 25 straight years. And in that time, they've won zero football and/or basketball championships. Makes it kind of a silly thing to me. If its important to you enjoy the hell out it, just don't expect everyone to hold the same opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I saw plenty of pictures of Ben Hill Griffin stadium with thousands of empty seats every game
I agree, UF lies about attendance. Or gives away unsold tickets to boys clubs and counts them as sold. That's why Im pretty sure the 4000 baseball attendance is actually 400-500.

Last edited:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Florida had 11 of their sports teams finish in the national Top 10 and on the sliding points scale of points awarded it added up to an excellent standing. The Director's Cup only uses the 19 best finishes of each university when calculating their standings. 4 sports must be counted from all schools - baseball, men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball. Stanford has a definite advantage because they have 36 sports, so they have a lot of room for error. Michigan & North Carolina have 27 sports, UCLA 25, Georgia 23. Florida has 21, when you count indoor and outdoor track as separate sports. And SEC team has never won it. Florida is the ONLY SEC tam that finishes in the Top 10 every year, normally in the Top 5 (the last 11 years). Florida could easily add more sports at a fairly low cost and be immediately competitive in most of them, where fewer teams are competing for national titles. But for whatever reasons they have opted not to so far. I'm just proud of the consistent excellence our sports teams achieve. And not only that we are the only D1 team to be ranked in the Top 10 nationally both on the field and in the classroom, where our athlete academics are top tier as well.
Thanks. It's just a tremendous overall effort year in and year out by Florida Gator sports to be that high up in the director's cup. That's a shame no SEC team ever won the director's cut but I think you explain pretty well why. It's definitely geared towards the West coast schools

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.