UF Board of Trustees approves plan for $130 million

If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Captain Sasquatch

• Zambo

• AlexDaGator

• stephenPE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have to to do it right. Football can’t be done first to get what is needed. There’s just no way other than doing away with track. And since that’s never been up for discussion I am assuming that Tigert Hall ain’t gonna let that happen for some reason. Yes. It should have been done years ago. But, you have to get baseball out of the way.
Again. If we stuck the stand alone in that tiny spot they were going to half this board would be complaining about the size of ours compared to everyone else.
In about five posts someone is going to complain that the football facility gets built last.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Eh. I’m still looking at it pragmatically. To get football what it needs, baseball has to get moved out. Long term it’s the best solution. We aren’t going to catch up to the best programs on the field nor off for a few years. Might as well do it right.

Spoke with a friend from Alachua whose family are long time and deeply connected boosters. He said it’s cheaper to build a new baseball stadium than to renovate McKethan. That plus the location are what drove the decision - and the order of operation. Mullen is reportedly fine with it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. And you knew the baseball team wasn't going to get a T-ball diamond .
I dont give a shyt about what they get.

Im pissed that we are waiting. Bulldoze the damn baseball field and start building the football facility. They can play wherever in the meantime. Plenty of teams have done it. We will show big shiny posters of where they are going to be next year to both the football recruits and the baseball ones.

Fooley had not a second of difficulty in making football work without water, commodes or showers for most of a year during the basketball project.

It will be a good life lesson for them. You get paid more if you are more $uccessful.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont give a shyt about what they get.

Im pissed that we are waiting. Bulldoze the damn baseball field and start building the football facility. They can play wherever in the meantime. Plenty of teams have done it. We will show bug shiny poster of where they are going to be next year to both the football recruits and the baseball ones.

Fooley had not a second of difficulty in making football work without water, commodes or showers for most of a year during the basketball project.
I suppose it's not too late to call Ron Brooks about moving the games to Buchholz.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I suppose it's not too late to call Ron Brooks about moving the games to Buchholz.
I dont care if we rent a HS, Santa Fe, hell send them to Birmingham at Legion Field. Whatever.

Four years from now is absurd but at least it will be in place for the next HBC.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I dont care if we rent a HS, Santa Fe, hell send them to Birmingham at Legion Field. Whatever.

Four years from now is absurd but at least it will be in place for the next HBC.
I tend to agree with this. For one season, I don’t see why baseball couldn’t do a tour of Florida hosting games in minor league & maybe even occasionally in major league stadiums across the state (basketball did this for half a season). And other games could be played at SFCC. And regionals & super regionals could be played at The Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville & I could guarantee you crowds there would be large.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It just shows how haste makes waste and how much of an afterthought the planning was.

IDEALLY what would have been done is move the baseball stadium years ago to IFAS or wherever to accommodate the need for a contiguously laid out football facility.

No, this was not in Foley's toolshed of thought. Not at all.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously we're on opposite sides of the fence here and we won't change each other's mind.. (insert long post here to epic music soundtrack)

My point was, and will continue to be, that Foley let us fall so far behind in the arms race in football that it is beyond time to play catch up. We should be breaking ground on the new football facility now, not years down the road. We should be putting whatever other resources we have into upgrading everything concerning football (dorms, recreation, training centers, stadium, etc.). Simply put, you take care of the golden goose first. While I'm sure our baseball players would love to play in a state-of-the-art stadium, it's overkill for what they bring to the table. If our baseball team suddenly sucks tomorrow, outside of a handful of people who is going to care? Now imagine our football team is winning again. Do you honestly believe anyone in Alabama cares about their Title 9 teams and secondary men's sports while Saban is bringing home national title after national title in football? Again, only a handful truly care, the rest only care if it gives them something else to beat their chest over on top of football.

The only time bragging about the All-Sports Trophy means anything is when football is on top as well. I have yet to meet a random Gator on the street who bragged about sports other than football. In fact every time I've met a random Gator in public our conversation starts with, "Alumnus? How do you think the football team is going to do this year?"

I think you misunderstand me, I'm not completely against the other sports programs getting nice things, just not at the expense of football. Our plans for football barely catch us up with the other top programs as things stand today. Do you think those other programs are standing idly by waiting for us to catch up?

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I think you misunderstand me, I'm not completely against the other sports programs getting nice things, just not at the expense of football. Our plans for football barely catch us up with the other top programs as things stand today. Do you think those other programs are standing idly by waiting for us to catch up?

I agree wholeheartedly about Fooley dithering us into mediocrity. Actually less than mediocre. And I’m 100% sure other teams are grinding our noses in it when it comes to recruiting. Here’s to hoping these projects will put our team on the right track.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It just shows how haste makes waste and how much of an afterthought the planning was.

IDEALLY what would have been done is move the baseball stadium years ago to IFAS or wherever to accommodate the need for a contiguously laid out football facility.

No, this was not in Foley's toolshed of thought. Not at all.

Who knew that the SEC network and a much improved baseball team would make such things possible or desirable. Sure blame one person when in reality there is a boss team that probably agreed with him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone put in an industrial sized order of tampons and Kleenex for Law. Good grief.
Id just like to see Fooleys wasted decade not get stretched to two, but we seem committed to making sure of it.

Maybe we hire an elite coach in 2022 and get some facilities in 2024, we can started building to compete for championships again in 2026-2027.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to lie... it was kind of nice after studying physical chemistry in the library stacks for hours to be able to stop by McKethan... heck I think it was Perry field then... anyway, pick a spot, unwind, get a snack and watch the last few innings of games :nerd: :lol3:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The new “luxury dorms” for football have a nice spot, across flavet field on the site of the old tennis courts. The location I believe, but the luxury I have to see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator