UF Football Coaching - Tackling

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I read this little article and thought it was interesting. Don't miss the video of Pete Carroll talking about rugby-style tackling that they're teaching in Seattle that allegedly cuts down on head and neck injuries while tackling. I thought that was even better than the article.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nice article. I've always thought that the development of the helmet seemed to increase head/neck injuries rather than decrease them. Taking the head out of the tackle makes sense.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I cringe when I think about how my coaches used to encourage "putting a hat on 'em" when tackling. Spearing was considered good hard football. I still remember one tackle that left my entire right side numb for a couple minutes. I'm paying for it now with very little cervical disk space left.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Law98gator;n263173 said:
Nice article. I've always thought that the development of the helmet seemed to increase head/neck injuries rather than decrease them. Taking the head out of the tackle makes sense.
The new helmets are made from that (new cheap flimsy ass plastic) which leads to more concussions. The plastic on those helmets in the 80's/90's was legit but the padding inside was garbage. If those helmets had the new padding inside I guarantee everyone would see less concussions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking more along the lines that there were less people leading with their heads BEFORE helmets altogether. More knocked out teeth though. Watch old video from the leather helmet era. They tackle differently than our boys do today.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, I get it. We were always taught to lead with the head, BUT keep your head up and not lead with the crown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.