UF team stats through week 4

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Borrowed from another board, here's some stats so far (from: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/team-stats/ )

-Florida is currently ranked #86 in total offense at 362.7 ypg

-Florida is currently #129 out of 130 for plays/game at 56.3 plays/game. Stanford sits at #130

-Florida is currently #4 in TO margin at +2.3

-Florida is currently #2 in takeaways/game at 3.7

-Florida is currently #25 in points/game at 37.0 points/game

-Florida is currently #27 in points given up/game at 19.3 points/game

-Florida is currently #2/Tied #1 in opponents scoring in the red zone at 0.0

-Florida is currently #56 in total defense at 376.7 yards given up/game

-Florida is currently #81 in rushing yards given up/game at 177.3 rushing yards/game

-Florida is currently #44 in passing yards given up/game at 199.3 passing yards/game

-Florida is currently #108 in flags/game at 8.0/game

-Florida is currently #101 in penalty yards/game at 69.0 yards/game

-Florida is currently tied with 5 teams at #1 for 4th down conversion percentage at 100%

-Florida is currently #8 in points/play at 0.657 points/play

-Florida is currently #11 in rush yards/attempt at 6.0 yards/carry

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I stated this in another thread, but penalties is a problem that needs to get cleaned up. We can't keep teams in a game with stupid mental mistakes. I don't care about yards per game. What's most important is points per game, and it's encouraging that we are currently at #25 which we haven't been at any point in a season in nearly a decade. Some of those points are from special teams, but points are points. I don't care how we get them. I know we won't score 37 per game when the schedule gets tougher, but scoring 30 or more per game is a big improvement over the last several years.

Also the UK game really wrecked our defensive stats. Hopefully the tackling problems in that game are for sure a thing of the past. If so, the defensive rankings will improve.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
A lot of these are surprisingly high and a lot that are lower seem to be trending in the right direction at least. This team is definitely tracking in a better direction overall and they also pass the eye test too in that they aren't deeply painful to watch even when they are winning. I'd say we are showing real signs of improvement at game 4 of the season. The next several games will tell a lot more but, even if we lose some, I expect that these overall trends will continue forward if for no other reason than this team seems to be discovering their heart so that they won't quit like some of the teams we've had to endure over the last several years. Consider me cautiously optimistic!

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
These are interesting, but the efficiency ratings are usually more telling. Football Outsiders FEI seems the best, but they don’t issue them by offense/defense until week 7 when there is enough data to really normalize.

Per ESPN’s efficiency ratings, we have improved. Offensive efficiency in 2017-105th, 2018 is 57th. Defense in 2017 - 47th. 2018 is 17th.
These are opponent, pace, and garbage time adjusted. Espn’s formulas are based on point contribution of units more than yards.

We’ll see how this continues but for those that said they just want to see improvement, even if your eyes didn’t already confirm it, the stats also support that improvement.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what to think but the offense is still struggling quite a bit considering the opponents and some of the low number of plays stuff is caused by Mullen wanting to check things over most plays before giving Franks his instructions. If he trusted Franks more we would be getting off more plays. We only had 67 plays against KY and that was a game we weren't getting short fields and were supposed to be playing hurry up in the 4th quarter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I stated this in another thread, but penalties is a problem that needs to get cleaned up. We can't keep teams in a game with stupid mental mistakes. I don't care about yards per game. What's most important is points per game, and it's encouraging that we are currently at #25 which we haven't been at any point in a season in nearly a decade. Some of those points are from special teams, but points are points. I don't care how we get them. I know we won't score 37 per game when the schedule gets tougher, but scoring 30 or more per game is a big improvement over the last several years.

Also the UK game really wrecked our defensive stats. Hopefully the tackling problems in that game are for sure a thing of the past. If so, the defensive rankings will improve.

Like death and taxes, it doesn't matter who's coaching at UF, we'll be among the conference leaders in penalties!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. If he trusted Franks more we would be getting off more plays. We only had 67 plays against KY .
No. He has always done the same thing, with every QB. He is a ball control guy. He doesnt believe in tempo and has said so.

QBs and the rest of the team will be doing the meerkat offense. Mullinz wants to call the audibles after he sees the defense, he always has.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You can't count on STATS with these last two games...We scored and we scored often.

The only STATs that concern me is the 3rd QTR. There is no excuse for that kind of let down with the starters.

I would have also brought in Trask & Co for the 4th QTR. These guys are only an injury away. They need reps.

We are very thin at DB, most of the OL are seniors, and Trask could use the work.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
1805-SEC-OL-Ranks-1-5-768x433.png

1805-SEC-OL-Ranks-6-10-768x434.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-sec-offensive-line-rankings-through-four-weeks

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
A work in progress thats moving in the right direction.
Could be pretty good by the end of the year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

FLORIDA GATORS
Florida has allowed 20 total pressures through four weeks, the seventh fewest in the conference. Right tackle Jawaan Taylor has been the unit’s top player so far, but it’s worth noting of his four games played this season, his two lowest-graded have come in the games against SEC opposition, with all three of his hurries allowed in 2018 coming in the Week 2 clash with Kentucky. Right guard Fred Johnson is coming off his best game of the season against Tennessee, where he didn’t allow a single pressure for the second time, and made an impression in the run game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They have ak as 10

One of the things I truly dislike about college football. There's nothing wrong with Morris' spread-em out system. Just as there's nothing inherently wrong with the ground-em/pound-em, slow, down hill running football that the previous coach employed. But there's absolutely something wrong with attempting to rewrite the genetic code of a program, completely dismantling what's currently there, and insisting on doing a total 180 in football style. Just in recent years, we've seen RichRod try it at Michigan, WM at UF, and now Morris at Arkansas. It makes zero sense, puts fans, current players, and the entire program through hell, and generally has a failure rate of nearly 100%.

Most programs have certain characteristics, typically dictated by geography, culture and historical preferences. Bring in a coach that can harness that and build upon it, not burn it to the ground in a rushed attempt to build something foreign. Why otherwise intelligent people who have power and influence at their Universities continue to experiment like this is beyond me.

Arkansas is staring at years of disaster, when they--and Morris--could've had success just accepting reality and choosing different paths.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But there's absolutely something wrong with attempting to rewrite the genetic code of a program
I don't know that it matters in this case. Arky was I guess best known as an option school back in the day. They were run and shoot under Petrino. But Burp Bielema did such a galactically incompetent job of recruiting there really isn't any system that will work with that roster. He made Butters look like a recruiting dynamo. They just suck at everything.

It's a full rebuild regardless. Bielema burned it to the foundation.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why do they call it seventh fewest pressures when it can also be called seventh most?

Andy Rooney: Have you noticed there aren't many Communists named Steve?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Leading the nation in total "raw" takeaways (not an average) at 14 for season. Four games in (yes, six came in one game) but who would have thought we'd have that many already?

And against the Vols, they were not "given" to us, we "took" them from them. Impressive aggressiveness that we never saw with Mac at the helm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.