UF/Tenn Statistical Matchup

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How each team measures up through 3 games.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...up-gators-have-better-numbers-softer-schedule

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee’s game with Florida this Saturday will be evaluated from most every angle on account of what’s believed to be at stake.

Specifically, the winner will be sitting on the pole position in the SEC East Division, an inside track to the SEC Championship Game on the line at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

The Vols (3-0) are ranked No. 14 in the AP Top 25 poll, and the Gators (3-0) are ranked No. 19, but both teams have plenty of questions to answer before either takes the trip to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.

Here’s a look at how the programs compare head to head statistically, with the national leader in each category also listed:

Schedule strength

1. Southern Cal, 89.35

50. Tennessee, 69.83

157. Florida, 53.78

Total Offense

1. Louisville, 679.3 yards per game

40. Florida, 466.0

101. Tennessee, 351.0

Rushing Offense

1. Air Force, 432.5

50. Florida, 202.0

56. Tennessee, 189.0

Passing Offense

1. Texas Tech, 547.7

38. Florida, 264.0

109. Tennessee, 162.0

Scoring Offense

1. Louisville, 65 points per game

T-58. Florida, 33.7

T-69. Tennessee, 31.0

Total Defense

1. Florida, 129.7 yards per game

39. Tennessee, 336.7

Rushing Defense

1. Houston, 38.3

2. Florida, 42.3

T-71. Tennessee, 152.7

Passing Defense

1. Virginia Tech, 80.3

2. Florida, 87.3

35. Tennessee, 184.0

Scoring Defense

1. Florida, 4.7 points per game

35. Tennessee, 18.7

3rd Down Conversion Rate

1. Toledo, .596

3. Florida, .580

T-71. Tennessee, .395

3rd Down Conversion Defense

1. Michigan, .106

6. Florida, .194

47. Tennessee, .326

Turnover margin

1. Ohio State, 3.00 per game

T-21. Florida, 1.00

T-36. Tennessee, 0.67

Time of possession

1. Air Force, 40.00

10. Florida, 35.00

84. Tennessee, 28.00

Kick Return Offense

1. Air Force, 47.33

T-41. Tennessee, 23.67

86. Florida, 19.40

Kick Return Defense

1 Georgia Southern, 9.00

T-29. Florida, 18.00

T-42. Tennessee, 19.00

Punt Returns

1. Southern Cal, 40.25

86. Florida, 5.00

T-106. Tennessee, 2.33

Net Punting

1. Utah, 48.21

16. Florida, 41.89

41. Tennessee, 39.56

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Closer than I'd have expected on several of those stats. Thanks for sharing.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Our strength of schedule is a real eye popper. 157th? There aren't even that many FBS schools. And I don't even think we looked that great on offense. Defense? Yes. I guess we will find out if the stats are the result of garbage scheduling in the next few weeks.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Our strength of schedule is a real eye popper. 157th? There aren't even that many FBS schools. And I don't even think we looked that great on offense. Defense? Yes. I guess we will find out if the stats are the result of garbage scheduling in the next few weeks.

I'm guessing that is "through 3 games" (we've played 3 sh*tty teams). It will go up quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I said it before, I'll say it again. We've been on the other end of #1 defense vs. #100+ offense enough times to know how that matchup typically turns out.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting that VT is listed as the #1 passing defense. UT was 10 of 19 for 91 yards and 1 INT against them. Get an early lead and slow down the running game, and UT won't have a chance.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Good catch, I missed that. Only reference I can find for it is Sagarin which is ranking 254 NCAAF teams. It does list SOS at 50 for TN and 157 for UF.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting that VT is listed as the #1 passing defense. UT was 10 of 19 for 91 yards and 1 INT against them. Get an early lead and slow down the running game, and UT won't have a chance.

Yes but Dobbs wasn't catching screen passes from his wide receiver 58 yards for touchdowns against them.

Unbelievable

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes but Dobbs wasn't catching screen passes from his wide receiver 58 yards for touchdowns against them.

Unbelievable

I expect the defense will be prepared for trick plays like that. UT threw everything they had at us last year, so I'm sure the defense will be expecting more like it this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I expect the defense will be prepared for trick plays like that. UT threw everything they had at us last year, so I'm sure the defense will be expecting more like it this year.

Yep I am glad we were exposed to that last season and especially them using designed QB runs so much since Dobbs isn't that good with his arm.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, we've played some crappy teams. UK has a pretty solid offense and we embarrassed them. But UMass and UNT are laughably bad, and we made them look that way.

We could be like UNC, who gave up 21 points in the first quarter to JMU this past weekend. We've given up 14 points all year. :lol2:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get the lead and both fans and players will start their meltdown. Contain their 2 nuts, I mean runners, Hurd and Dobbs, and they are neutered.

Although we haven't played any teams of note, I do know that our defense is very solid. TN of course will be fired up, but the longer the game goes and they haven't put us away, the more that BVD "oh shiat, here it comes" defeatist attitude sets in.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, we've played some crappy teams. UK has a pretty solid offense and we embarrassed them. But UMass and UNT are laughably bad, and we made them look that way.

We could be like UNC, who gave up 21 points in the first quarter to JMU this past weekend. We've given up 14 points all year. :lol2:

Kentucky does not have a solid offense. I bet they average under 20 PPG for the year vs their SEC schedule. I see why our SOS is 157TH Southern Miss, which rolled Tucky, just lost to Troy. None of our three opponents has a signature win. None. I could give a **** about UNC. We've played no one. Let's just beat Tenn.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Kentucky does not have a solid offense. I bet they average under 20 PPG for the year vs their SEC schedule. I see why our SOS is 157TH Southern Miss, which rolled Tucky, just lost to Troy. None of our three opponents has a signature win. None. I could give a **** about UNC. We've played no one. Let's just beat Tenn.
The point is, it doesn't matter how crappy the team is. Great defense is great defense. With the exception of maybe 5 or 6 plays all year when the secondary fell asleep from boredom because of who we were playing, there hasn't been a single weak moment from this defense, and FAR more exceptional moments. Remember Tabor intercepting a quick screen? That literally could have been any of the 12 teams on our schedule, and the same play is made every time. Who we're playing has nothing to do with it when we have talent and instincts like that.

Add that to the fact that Tennessee has faced defenses who look like high school teams compared to ours and looked like absolute trash trying to score on them. Dobbs won't be able to throw on us, we already know that from last year and from what we've seen this year. Clean up the poor tackling from last year (Davis and Anzalone are superb tacklers, and I've scarcely seen a missed tackle this year), don't fall for the inevitable trick plays, and that's a wrap. Not to mention their OL will be pushing against the brick wall that is our DL. I've seen nothing schematically or talent wise that would make me believe otherwise.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
The point is, it doesn't matter how crappy the team is. Great defense is great defense. With the exception of maybe 5 or 6 plays all year when the secondary fell asleep from boredom because of who we were playing, there hasn't been a single weak moment from this defense, and FAR more exceptional moments. Remember Tabor intercepting a quick screen? That literally could have been any of the 12 teams on our schedule, and the same play is made every time. Who we're playing has nothing to do with it when we have talent and instincts like that.

Add that to the fact that Tennessee has faced defenses who look like high school teams compared to ours and looked like absolute trash trying to score on them. Dobbs won't be able to throw on us, we already know that from last year and from what we've seen this year. Clean up the poor tackling from last year (Davis and Anzalone are superb tacklers, and I've scarcely seen a missed tackle this year), don't fall for the inevitable trick plays, and that's a wrap. Not to mention their OL will be pushing against the brick wall that is our DL. I've seen nothing schematically or talent wise that would make me believe otherwise.

I agree Sas. As long as our Off just gives the Def a little time to rest, this should be a lock. I agree that our tackling is way better than last season and Anzalone runs like a deer. (Upgrade from Morrison) I trust our DB's and we will probably see more Cover 1 than Cover 0 just because we will want eyes on Dobbs if he does break one.

Go Gators!!!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The point is, it doesn't matter how crappy the team is. Great defense is great defense... Who we're playing has nothing to do with it when we have talent and instincts like that.

Add that to the fact that Tennessee has faced defenses who look like high school teams compared to ours and looked like absolute trash trying to score on them. Dobbs won't be able to throw on us, we already know that from last year and from what we've seen this year.

Have you shared this with Butch and the gang? I'm sure upon reading it they won't even come out of the locker room. Likely'd hit a local bar and cheer for VT and App wins to boost their SOS.

Clean up the poor tackling from last year (Davis and Anzalone are superb tacklers, and I've scarcely seen a missed tackle this year), don't fall for the inevitable trick plays, and that's a wrap. Not to mention their OL will be pushing against the brick wall that is our DL. I've seen nothing schematically or talent wise that would make me believe otherwise.

My God. If we fall for that crap again, or God forbid another Les Miles fake kick....I swear I will punch Mac's face in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.