UF/Vandy film breakdown

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
In the first 10 minutes. EJ missed six damn TD passes. SIX!. In the first 10 minutes!. I can't I just can't anymore.
Somebody buy him a scooter with bad brakes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5xymk9twmu021.png

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
In the first 10 minutes. EJ missed six damn TD passes. SIX!. In the first 10 minutes!. I can't I just can't anymore.
Somebody buy him a scooter with bad brakes.

Yep, but same barking seals that say AR took steps backwards because he had a bunch of screen passes called applaud EJ's failure to see the field and hit open players.
:eek3:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yep, but same barking seals that say AR took steps backwards because he had a bunch of screen passes called applaud EJ's failure to see the field and hit open players.
:eek3:
Hard for me not to believe that AR has been instructed not to deviate. Not to mention the unimaginative plays.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard for me not to believe that AR has been instructed not to deviate. Not to mention the unimaginative plays.

The play calls while AR is in are very vanilla. James makes a point in the video that he doesn't understand what and why Mullen manages the QBs the way he does. I can only think of four possible reasons 1) He doesn't want a QB controversy because of his loyalty to EJ and seniority so AR doesn't get a chance to shine, 2) Mullen is saving AR for some big plays against UGA like they did with Tebow against LSU in 2006, 3) he's a stubborn moron, or 4) a combination of 3 and either 1 or 2.

What's obvious at this point to everyone is that EJ is currently unable or probably incapable of playing the QB position the way it should be played. He doesn't read the defense, he doesn't let receivers finish their routes, his mechanics are bad, he leaves wide open guys downfield about 20 times a game, and he's not even that special of a runner.

I just can't believe that AR is so bad in practice that he can't earn the starting position. EJ plays like a Div II QB. Give the more talented guy a chance, or at least give him some decent playing time to develop him!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I just can't believe that AR is so bad in practice that he can't earn the starting position.

Here’s the thing, I don’t think he is. Remember in the pre-season when Mullen was bringing up AR without provocation or questions from the media?

I think he realized that in Weeks One and Two he did what I pointed out in the Takes, he coached himself into a QB controversy. He put them in such a way where you saw a dichotomy of the two QB’s. AR’s injury was a gift for Mullen. Imagine if you will, after the first two drives and 3 points against Bama if AR comes in and leads a TD drive only for EJ to come in and throw the pick he did on the 4th drive. Dan’s loyalty to EJ is clear, but would’ve been tested in a way he doesn’t want.

So when AR did return, you give him some very conservative play calls to either test his ability to run the play as called and/or quell QB questions. There are many useful idiots that don’t realize that AR has had 3 first downs cancelled in the last 2 games due to penalty. Instead, they will say it’s his fault that the drive stalled. Or that he doesn’t look as good, but if asked to name the pass plays called don’t know enough about football to recognize a bunch of screens that don’t do anything for a QB. They say that he’s not ready because he didn’t break off a 70-yard TD run like he’s done before. Excuse me, Tebow’s long was like 55 and averaged around 4 yards a carry his 3 years starting at UF. In October, he is averaging 3.6 with several runs for first downs (a few were like 8 yards and with only 10 attempts they make a statistical difference) called back in limited time and not letting him pass downfield to back the defense off. Imagine him being given a fair shake of it.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The play calls while AR is in are very vanilla. James makes a point in the video that he doesn't understand what and why Mullen manages the QBs the way he does. I can only think of four possible reasons 1) He doesn't want a QB controversy because of his loyalty to EJ and seniority so AR doesn't get a chance to shine, 2) Mullen is saving AR for some big plays against UGA like they did with Tebow against LSU in 2006, 3) he's a stubborn moron, or 4) a combination of 3 and either 1 or 2.

What's obvious at this point to everyone is that EJ is currently unable or probably incapable of playing the QB position the way it should be played. He doesn't read the defense, he doesn't let receivers finish their routes, his mechanics are bad, he leaves wide open guys downfield about 20 times a game, and he's not even that special of a runner.

I just can't believe that AR is so bad in practice that he can't earn the starting position. EJ plays like a Div II QB. Give the more talented guy a chance, or at least give him some decent playing time to develop him!
When you write this, remember that he turned Matt Corral down.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I havent had a chance to watch these breakdowns yet but on relation to some of the above questions. There is an article (which I cant recall) this week where EJ talks about how AR is learning. EJ said that basically when Mullen puts a backup they have to go with the simple game plan to get used to the speed of the game and reading defenses, etc. EJ said the hardest part is going in and wanting to make big plays but resist to show Mullen that youre learning and willing to learn and that is what AR is doing.

Despite limited work, Mullen seeing valuable growth from Richardson
From the article:
In the fourth quarter those snaps are specifically to see how you manage the game, honestly," Jones said. "Because when you get in the game like that, especially as a backup guy, you want to go in there and try to make as many plays and the craziest plays ever, but they might not be there for you.

"That's the main thing that he's looking for in those snaps at the end of the game. Because I remember a lot of times in my previous years of playing at the end of the game I used to go in there, try to do too much, make the wrong reads trying to make plays for myself when it's really not there. Then you go out there and make a mistake and it shows up as a mistake on the grade sheet at the end of the game, and you never want that. That's something I had to learn, so I know exactly what coach Mullen is looking for in that situation."

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Back in my day university professors, outside the College of Education, weren't given much instruction in pedagogy. But even so I knew that learning theorists said we should repeat things 3 times. I never did. There is so much important information to impart. More importantly, when listeners know everything will be repeated, they don't listen the first time.
I love the way this guy breaks the game down, but I wish that he would forget the advice to repeat and repeat and...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EJ said that basically when Mullen puts a backup they have to go with the simple game plan to get used to the speed of the game and reading defenses, etc. EJ said the hardest part is going in and wanting to make big plays...
What we already knew, Mullinz just tries to run the clock out when the backup is on the field.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
At this point, is there enough evidence that EJ is never going to be good enough? Should we just go ahead and play AR and get him ready for next year?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Film study? This is a film study:

Seriously I really really think the GNFP is the best way to review a past game. I don't alway agree with him, but I do think he has very good insight into what UF does.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I havent had a chance to watch these breakdowns yet but on relation to some of the above questions. There is an article (which I cant recall) this week where EJ talks about how AR is learning. EJ said that basically when Mullen puts a backup they have to go with the simple game plan to get used to the speed of the game and reading defenses, etc. EJ said the hardest part is going in and wanting to make big plays but resist to show Mullen that youre learning and willing to learn and that is what AR is doing.

From the article:
In the fourth quarter those snaps are specifically to see how you manage the game, honestly," Jones said. "Because when you get in the game like that, especially as a backup guy, you want to go in there and try to make as many plays and the craziest plays ever, but they might not be there for you.

"That's the main thing that he's looking for in those snaps at the end of the game. Because I remember a lot of times in my previous years of playing at the end of the game I used to go in there, try to do too much, make the wrong reads trying to make plays for myself when it's really not there. Then you go out there and make a mistake and it shows up as a mistake on the grade sheet at the end of the game, and you never want that. That's something I had to learn, so I know exactly what coach Mullen is looking for in that situation."

I would love to know how Mullen grades EJ's performance every week and his rationale for the grade. EJ has such a low ceiling by the way he plays the position. I'm very curious if Mullen grades him as he did with Kyle Trask, or if with EJ he grades on a curve.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

From the article:

:dunno:

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
What I have gotten from the offensive films the last two games is that CDM calls a very good game, the plays are there to score consistently and the players, particularly the QB, don't execute at the level required to make the called plays work. I can hardly watch the defensive breakdown because I am not sure if there is a scheme or call or anything.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
What I have gotten from the offensive films the last two games is that CDM calls a very good game, the plays are there to score consistently and the players, particularly the QB, don't execute at the level required to make the called plays work. I can hardly watch the defensive breakdown because I am not sure if there is a scheme or call or anything.
I agree with this regarding the offense and Dan... it merely confirms, absolutely, that as a HC, he has risen to his level of incompetency and OC/position coach is his ceiling. I've mentioned it a bunch of times, Danny Enos is a childhood friend of mine, he has ZERO interest in ever being a HC again, mainly because he recognized that you are no longer a "coach," but rather a "CEO." He's happy to be an OC or QB/RB coach for the rest of his life, and by all appearances, he actually does seem to be 10x the "qb whisperer" compared to Mullenz.

ua.jpg

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JWwgeX1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.