Urban and the broken program

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Maybe this is old news speculation but I am beginning to believe that his reason for saying that is that he saw and administration that viewed FB as just another sport in the program, much like what you see with Cal Berkeley or Duke. After seeing the way Foley hired after he left I'd say that there is ample evidence that he just went after average coaches that would only being looking for middle of he road salaries. And the product on the field is reflective of those hires.

So, in order to change the football program we have to change the mindset in the administration or we won't see much difference. We might make a decent hire but he will be gone in 3 years.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
When did we hire average coaches for middle of the road salaries? I must've missed that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Urban definitely wanted a staff of QA film watchers the size of Bammers and I'm told our AD laughed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When did we hire average coaches for middle of the road salaries? I must've missed that.
We hire average coaches for middle of the road salaries, then inexplicably extend them and give them raises, then fire them, then have to pay another staff of average coaches at the same time, and repeat the process.

It's quite thrifty.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
We hire average coaches for middle of the road salaries, then inexplicably extend them and give them raises, then fire them, then have to pay another staff of average coaches at the same time, and repeat the process.

It's quite thrifty.
I just don't think the coaches we've hired are even average and they've cost us alot of money

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014

It's quite thrifty.
And that sort of thinking has got to change.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He called it a broken program because he allowed the players too much control over his final two years. He said as much.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. That's not what he meant by "broken program". The program sure wasn't "broken" when he got there. And the fact that he won 2 national championships in 4 years is pretty damn good evidence of that. No, what "broke" the program was the combination of recruiting a bunch of athletically talented idiots and allowing them to make the rules. He lost control of the beast he created and ran away whimpering.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Nope. That's not what he meant by "broken program". The program sure wasn't "broken" when he got there. And the fact that he won 2 national championships in 4 years is pretty damn good evidence of that. No, what "broke" the program was the combination of recruiting a bunch of athletically talented idiots and allowing them to make the rules. He lost control of the beast he created and ran away whimpering.

Exactly! It had nothing to do with the OP’s thesis. Urbs just pussed out, plain & simple.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know one former player that was under Meyer and transitioned into the WM era. He’s pretty balanced but definitely says there was a locker room issue with guys not respecting authority. So that’s correct.

But none of that was some infectious disease that needed decades to cure. Meyer was the ultimate recruiter and knew that the monkey he told that to would ultimately spew it in an open forum. WM didn’t disappoint.

I do think our admin got ful of themselves and felt untouchable. But it really comes down to wasting a gift of a year to settle for an unproven that didn’t work out. The right hire there would’ve ended the broken issue within a year or two. As it is, the wrong one cost us a decade.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not debating their both being bad. In that context, what started us on this path was the one bad hire. WM was the decision to try smoking crack. McElwain is the face tattoo that came as a result.

:lol:

0535ec47899d6544753f989a667eca84cf7baf-v5-wm.jpg

.....or both. I don't judge.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe this is old news speculation but I am beginning to believe that his reason for saying that is that he saw and administration that viewed FB as just another sport in the program, much like what you see with Cal Berkeley or Duke. After seeing the way Foley hired after he left I'd say that there is ample evidence that he just went after average coaches that would only being looking for middle of he road salaries. And the product on the field is reflective of those hires.

So, in order to change the football program we have to change the mindset in the administration or we won't see much difference. We might make a decent hire but he will be gone in 3 years.
Saw stats one time in which UF was ranked near the top in net profit for for UAA. I think that was Foley's goal, maybe even a directive from the UF admin that he needed to show a high net. I don't pretend to know.

Anyway, I think keeping this goal in mind set his search to less well known coaches as well as being behind his refusal to admit UF needed facilities upgrades to stay competitive. ( We want players who want to come to UF for its tradition and education- remember this line oft repeated?)

The UAA negotiated crap contracts about buy outs. Don't ask me why. I don't know if the lawyers are just poor or if their hands were tied.

The schools that were doing upgrades on facilities, such as TAMU, were much much lower on the net profit list but the rewards going forward pay off. Foley or UF preferred to not spend the larger investment with a short term drop in net profit. Maybe there are other reasons budget wise that is necessary, but for growing and maintaining a successful football program it was counterproductive.

You are correct that the mindset at the administration level has to be changed if we are going to get a higher level coach..

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not debating their both being bad. In that context, what started us on this path was the one bad hire. WM was the decision to try smoking crack. McElwain is the face tattoo that came as a result.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lol:

.....or both. I don't judge.
Sofla definitely won the internet for the day!

It's the Sidfighter reunion jin here right now. Wish we had some trolls to roast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator