Very Occasionally Attorneys Have a Sense of Humor

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A cease and desist order to Bill Murray. From the Doobie Brothers Attorney Paterno, one of music’s most powerful lawyers:

“It’s a fine song. I know you agree because you keep using it in ads for your Zero Hucks Given golf shirts. However, given that you haven’t paid to use it, maybe you should change the company name to ‘Zero Bucks Given’ .
We understand that you’re running other ads using music from other of our clients. It seems like the only person who uses our clients’ music without permission more than you do is Donald Trump.

This is the part where I’m supposed to cite the United States Copyright Act, excoriate you for not complying with some subparagraph that I’m too lazy to look up and threaten you with eternal damnation for doing so. But you already earned that with those Garfield movies. And you already know you can’t use music in ads without paying for it.

We’d almost be OK with it if the shirts weren’t so damn ugly. But it is what it is.”

The bolded part cracked me up.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
A cease and desist order to Bill Murray. From the Doobie Brothers Attorney Paterno, one of music’s most powerful lawyers:

“It’s a fine song. I know you agree because you keep using it in ads for your Zero Hucks Given golf shirts. However, given that you haven’t paid to use it, maybe you should change the company name to ‘Zero Bucks Given’ .
We understand that you’re running other ads using music from other of our clients. It seems like the only person who uses our clients’ music without permission more than you do is Donald Trump.

This is the part where I’m supposed to cite the United States Copyright Act, excoriate you for not complying with some subparagraph that I’m too lazy to look up and threaten you with eternal damnation for doing so. But you already earned that with those Garfield movies. And you already know you can’t use music in ads without paying for it.

We’d almost be OK with it if the shirts weren’t so damn ugly. But it is what it is.”

That is good... Here's why I hate lawyers... my good one left the firm I use to be in-house counsel for a big financial software company in Jax. We're still friends, but fuk that guy... and all of them! ;)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

lol...it's true:

Bill Murray Faces Legal Threat From Doobie Brothers

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
49ef11ceb05f89bf468bdddf71976b53.jpg

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I belly laughed at the bolded part, because while it is funny, it is also a window into the soul of those guys. excoriate ...eternal damnation...didn't come out of nowhere. :bwahaha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator