Victor Wembanyama is unstoppable

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He will be really interesting to watch, until he breaks something. And that won't take long.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You're comparing a 19-20 year old kid to incredible traditional centers as grown ass men. Yes, Wemby is a stick figure and yes basketball is totally a different sport then it was when those dudes were playing. I agree that they would bully him on the defensive end. But let's compare Wemby to these guys in 5-6 years. I think the traditional center would have a hard time guarding him. He handles like a PG and is really quick. The only center I think that would have shut him down is The Dream. For whatever reason, Olajuwon continues to be overlooked. He abused other great centers like David Robinson.

Olajuwon was an agile, skilled big man. Of all the great centers of his era, he had the best quickness and the best post moves. He wasn't that big though. He's billed at 7' but I'm not sure he was really that tall, and he didn't have the power of a rival like Shaq. Your clip showed him against David Robinson but in terms of playing style, the Dream was more like Tim Duncan. If he caught the ball down low, he was going to post you up, spin past you, and score. You can see his moves in that clip. Ewing had his fall-away jumper, Shaq had his monster dunks, but Olajuwon could do just about anything and was good with both hands.

Getting back to Wemby...

Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a skilled, athletic big man; 7'2" and pretty lean. Wemby should watch video of Kareem.

Alex.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Olajuwon was an agile, skilled big man. Of all the great centers of his era, he had the best quickness and the best post moves. He wasn't that big though. He's billed at 7' but I'm not sure he was really that tall, and he didn't have the power of a rival like Shaq. Your clip showed him against David Robinson but in terms of playing style, the Dream was more like Tim Duncan. If he caught the ball down low, he was going to post you up, spin past you, and score. You can see his moves in that clip. Ewing had his fall-away jumper, Shaq had his monster dunks, but Olajuwon could do just about anything and was good with both hands.

Getting back to Wemby...

Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a skilled, athletic big man; 7'2" and pretty lean. Wemby should watch video of Kareem.

Alex.
If Wemby develops a sky hook or the dream shake, watch out.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If Wemby develops a sky hook or the dream shake, watch out.

I'd love to see it (and it would be unstoppable) but I don't think anybody will ever develop a sky hook. The NBA is either layup/dunk or 3-pointer. The sky hook is deader than the mid-range jumper. The classic back-to-the-basket center is a thing of the past.

If Wemby mastered the sky hook, he'd easily put up over 30 a game, maybe 40. It was impossible to defend even when they played defense. In today's league where they don't call travelling and you can draw a foul by sticking your leg out...

Alex.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wembanyama finished with 28 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks and was 5-of-7 from 3-point range. He became the first player in NBA history to have at least 25 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks and 5 3-pointers in a game.

Wembanyama became the third player to average 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 blocks over a seven-game span since 1973-74, joining David Robinson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It was also the third time this month that Wembanyama had 25 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 blocks in a game. The only other two players to do that in a month since blocks became official were Abdul-Jabbar and Hakeem Olajuwon.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wembanyama finished with 28 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks and was 5-of-7 from 3-point range. He became the first player in NBA history to have at least 25 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks and 5 3-pointers in a game.

Wembanyama became the third player to average 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 blocks over a seven-game span since 1973-74, joining David Robinson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It was also the third time this month that Wembanyama had 25 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 blocks in a game. The only other two players to do that in a month since blocks became official were Abdul-Jabbar and Hakeem Olajuwon.

It's amazing what these guys can do against air. What stats!

If this was 1987, Wembanyama wouldn't even be starting. He'd come off the bench when a starter got in foul trouble. He'd basically be a poor man's Joe Klein.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Speaking of unstoppable-
I present “Cream” Abdul Jabbar aka Larry “Nerd”. (same school as Larry too)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wemby is 7’ 4”. Miller is 6’ 7”.
Does that look like a difference of 9”?
Looks more like a foot.
:dunno:

I was 6’3 in my 20s. I turn 49 this year and I hover slightly under 6’2 now. Maybe he’s dropped a couple inches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.