Video breakdowns: Franks struggles

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

He just takes a couple of plays here and looks at them and seems to think that is why we are rushing to the line many times and then taking our sweet time getting the play off - because the coaches don't trust Franks to do much.

Franks definitely doesn't have that field vision some QBs have that would see a RB was open for a play instead of throwing into double coverage etc. I think the only thing Franks has improved on much from last season is not running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks isnt an option QB, which is the only kind Mullinz knows how to use.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Yes! This is why we need to try somebody else at QB. Trask probably isn't any better. But to not even try somebody else is just really dumb. Spurrier woulda benched Franks after a few series vs UK. Give someone else a shot. Franks will never be a good decision maker. He's probably the worst decision maker we've had at qb.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I truly want to see Trash back there getting sacked every three plays and throwing interceptions every other series just to laugh at your stupid azzes.

You can always claim Trash, Provancha and Guy were the answers if we dont to see them. Its worth the laugh at this point.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not saying he is the answer, but I would like to see Trask get a couple of series with the ones just to see what he looks like. From the cerebral part of playing QB, he could not be worse than Franks. This would still be a stop gap bridge to get to Emory.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I truly want to see Trash back there getting sacked every three plays and throwing interceptions every other series just to laugh at your stupid azzes.

You can always claim Trash, Provancha and Guy were the answers if we dont to see them. Its worth the laugh at this point.

You know you want to see it so you can tell us he is even worse than Franks somehow. You will be getting your wish by the LSU game at least I would think.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I encourage everyone to watch this guy's breakdown. He's good.

Franks misses wide open guys all game. These are two plays right here where he makes as bad a decision as you can make as the qb. The first play he makes the wrong read. The second play in this breakdown, Franks misses on Toney and Hammond both running crossing routes that were open and probably would've converted a 3rd & 7 in the redzone. The 2pt conv play was the worst of the game for him I thought. He was rolling out right, he misses the rb that he just ran play action with, who's wide open right in front of him. Instead he throws it back across the field to a guy that had no chance to make the catch. Cardinal rule for qbs is don't throw it back across the field. The guy just can't play qb. I feel bad for him because he looks like an NFL qb. But he is just really really bad at reading defenses. One of the worst we've ever had here.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I encourage everyone to watch this guy's breakdown. He's good.

Franks misses wide open guys all game. These are two plays right here where he makes as bad a decision as you can make as the qb. The first play he makes the wrong read. The second play in this breakdown, Franks misses on Toney and Hammond both running crossing routes that were open and probably would've converted a 3rd & 7 in the redzone. The 2pt conv play was the worst of the game for him I thought. He was rolling out right, he misses the rb that he just ran play action with, who's wide open right in front of him. Instead he throws it back across the field to a guy that had no chance to make the catch. Cardinal rule for qbs is don't throw it back across the field. The guy just can't play qb. I feel bad for him because he looks like an NFL qb. But he is just really really bad at reading defenses. One of the worst we've ever had here.

Even when he was getting some praise for his play against that opening cupcake you could see he would just zone in on stuff but against that team he was able to get away with it. Against a good defense like we will face later in the season he is going to look like he did in the Georgia and FSU games last season.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Yes! This is why we need to try somebody else at QB. Trask probably isn't any better. But to not even try somebody else is just really dumb. Spurrier woulda benched Franks after a few series vs UK. Give someone else a shot. Franks will never be a good decision maker. He's probably the worst decision maker we've had at qb.

Spurrier was smart enough to have some viable options at QB spots 2 - 5.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Agree, it’s the pre snap reads that drive me nuts, whether it is rpo or not. Seems to get keyed in on first read even though the d is set for it to go into double coverage vs the crossing route without a defender

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Franks is the only player that looks like he's improved

I agree. Again, there were some hustle plays on the ground and some passes that he threw that should've been caught but were dropped. I commented last week that there were several passes, like the TD slant to Jefferson, that were drops a year ago. To me, that was the biggest difference I saw in week 1. Unfortunately in week 2, we went right back to our old ways, dropping(I believe) 4. Those are drive killers, and only ramps up the time for our D to get back out there. He didn't play perfect by a long shot. But he's a RSSoph who was a project all along, even in a perfectly tailored offense, much less the option.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to trying someone else. I just don't think he's the biggest problem we have, nor do I think there is any substance behind him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
5 in the first half, 2 or 3 in the second

Thanks. Didn't know it was that bad.

So considering we left 3 on the board with the FG "miss", had a moronic call on 2nd-and-1 inside the 10 where the OL collapsed on Franks costing us a chance at at a scoring drive, had 7-8 dropped passes, and had no answer for anything the opponent did offensively, I'd say there are other, greater areas of concern.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Some of the drops are just really bad passes or bad decisions by Franks though. Like the one in this video which counts as a drop by Hammond or Toney (can't remember on that 2nd play in this video) that one is on Franks. Either pull the trigger when they're open or throw a more catchable ball.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Trask would at least make the safer play. That first play, Scarlett was wide open for the safety valve. It would've gone for a first down possibly. Trask would probably make that throw since that was the "play of the scrimmage" in fall camp. Trask's dump off to the back. We need a qb that's not just gonna look at his first option, throw it automatically to his second option whether it's covered or double or triple covered OR just pulls it down for a little gain on a scramble. Franks should never ever be our leading rusher. Especially since he only has like 70 yards between the two games. He's not moving the chains. The defense played horribly. But if we had just safe qb play, we probably still win. I'd rather see us just run straight up triple option out of shotgun with Toney.

Even if it's worse, at least they tried to do something different. Continuing to watch Franks do what he does is just watching losing football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.