VOIP, Anybody using internet phones ?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After I enter my home number in the mobile number field:

Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.
Because I can't see what you are doing I don't know that you aren't using the Google Voice tranfer app. I'm talking about using the T-Mobile method. http://www.t-mobile.com/switch/default.aspx

This is actually good news, because once your land line number is ported to a mobile service, it will be able to be ported to Google Voice. Please continue reading and follow the steps below to convert your land line number to a mobile number. Then you can port it to become your Google Voice number.

Important Note: Google Voice cannot be used to place or receive emergency services calls.
Requirements: An unlocked mobile phone (with SIM card access) and a pre-paid SIM card from T-Mobile available here (link).

1. Check if your number can be ported or transferred to T-Mobile. Click here to check.
2. If your number is eligible for transfer, buy a prepaid SIM card from T-Mobile here (link)or at any authorized T-Mobile dealer. This will cost approximately $3 to $7. Select the image to the right to purchase from Amazon.
3. When you receive the prepaid SIM card, activate the SIM card using the instructions included in the package. You will choose a new (temporary) number and PIN. Insert the SIM card into an unlocked phone and a test call — call in and out.
4. Call T-Mobile's activation department at 1-800-937-8997. Request to port your old number to your new prepaid SIM account.
5. In 1 to 3 days, you will receive confirmation that the number port is complete, check to see that the number is working properly — E.g. Your old number is now the mobile number.
6. Go to your Google Voice account and request to port your T-Mobile number to Google Voice. The request to port link is found in, "Voice Settings." Look for the"Change/Port" link (click here for example screen shot). Google will charge a one-time fee of $20 for this service. You will need to provide your T-Mobile account number which is your ported number, e.g. 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx and your PIN. Note: Use your newly ported, original number — not the number you choose when activating the SIM card. Google will call the mobile number for activation purposes, so be sure to have your unlocked phone in which you inserted the prepaid SIM card.
7. In 1-3 days, Google will email you to confirm the porting is complete.

You may now start using your old number with Google Voice on your new OBi!

Helpful Resources:
OBiTALK Forum
Google Voice Forum

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Because I can't see what you are doing I don't know that you aren't using the Google Voice tranfer app. I'm talking about using the T-Mobile method. http://www.t-mobile.com/switch/default.aspx

I understand you have to port to some sort of mobile first and then to GV. But before you even go through that they recommend you go to the site I linked to check if your number is even eligible in the first place. I did that, put in my home number in the mobile # input field, and I got the above oops message Apparently not all areas / prefixes are supported by GV. I did put in my mobile # that has a different prefix and that # is eligible. But the whole point of my conversation was a way to keep my landline #

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand you have to port to some sort of mobile first and then to GV. But before you even go through that they recommend you go to the site I linked to check if your number is even eligible in the first place. I did that, put in my home number in the mobile # input field, and I got the above oops message Apparently not all areas / prefixes are supported by GV. I did put in my mobile # that has a different prefix and that # is eligible. But the whole point of my conversation was a way to keep my landline #
For the 3rd time, and not what Obi or Google is telling you. If you use the the T-Mobile port link and they tell you it won't port then it won't port. In your case $20 is not a high cost but that's still $240 plus tax and extra charges a year more than what I'm paying.

the T-Mobile method

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
For the 3rd time, and not what Obi or Google is telling you. If you use the the T-Mobile port link and they tell you it won't port then it won't port. In your case $20 is not a high cost but that's still $240 plus tax and extra charges a year more than what I'm paying.

the T-Mobile method

Why are we talking about T mobile? If Google voice tells you up front they don't service an area/your number(regardless of whether it is a landline or mobile ) the conversation is done.

What am I missing here?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn lboy. if you can port your landline to T-Mobile then you can port it to Google Talk.
That is the secret passage. I've posted the link to the T-Mobile port check tool and the Obitalk forum explaining it. Check your number with T-Mobile to see if it will port.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Damn lboy. if you can port your landline to T-Mobile then you can port it to Google Talk.
That is the secret passage. I've posted the link to the T-Mobile port check tool and the Obitalk forum explaining it. Check your number with T-Mobile to see if it will port.

OK, I guess I misunderstood what I read last night on GV site last night. I thought it was basically saying it would not support my area code. But I think it is more carrier based. I tried my daughter's mobile from the same area code and it said it could port it, so obviously that isn't the issue.

I went to your t=mobile site and it said my home number would port

Thanks for the info. When I get some time I might pursue this. Not a great rush. Besides the money, the best reason for me to switch is to have some spam/robo marketing calling options. We are getting killed with marketing calls.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK, I guess I misunderstood what I read last night on GV site last night. I thought it was basically saying it would not support my area code. But I think it is more carrier based. I tried my daughter's mobile from the same area code and it said it could port it, so obviously that isn't the issue.

I went to your t=mobile site and it said my home number would port

Thanks for the info. When I get some time I might pursue this. Not a great rush. Besides the money, the best reason for me to switch is to have some spam/robo marketing calling options. We are getting killed with marketing calls.
Do you have "Preferred Call Forwarding" ? I put the current spammers number on the list and transfer their calls to a dead drop.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Do you have "Preferred Call Forwarding" ? I put the current spammers number on the list and transfer their calls to a dead drop.

I guess as a bit of good news Charter Spectrum has just upgraded their calling features in our area. I can now block up to 48 numbers. I just added the last 20 from my call history. We'll see if it makes a difference. I could also do selective call forwarding to another 48 if I need to.

As to your unit above, what exactly do you plug it into for connectivity? The computer? The cable modem? Does you PC have to be on?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess as a bit of good news Charter Spectrum has just upgraded their calling features in our area. I can now block up to 48 numbers. I just added the last 20 from my call history. We'll see if it makes a difference. I could also do selective call forwarding to another 48 if I need to.

As to your unit above, what exactly do you plug it into for connectivity? The computer? The cable modem? Does you PC have to be on?
It's a standalone unit (no computer ) It's in the utility closet with a short ethernet cable plugged into my router and the phone line is unplug from the outside world and plugged into one of the ports of the Obi.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
It's a standalone unit (no computer ) It's in the utility closet with a short ethernet cable plugged into my router and the phone line is unplug from the outside world and plugged into one of the ports of the Obi.

Not following the bolded....

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not following the bolded....
I have a telephone distribution box in my utility closet. The house phone wiring would be disconnected from the outside world and plugged into the Obi. Don't you already have cable voip? It should already be cut loose.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I have a telephone distribution box in my utility closet. The house phone wiring would be disconnected from the outside world and plugged into the Obi. Don't you already have cable voip? It should already be cut loose.

I have phone service through Charter (ISP). Phone plugs into Charter Modem.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have phone service through Charter (ISP). Phone plugs into Charter Modem.
just one cordless phone? My whole house wiring plugs into the Obi (modem in your case)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pardon for asking but what is the point of it all. I just use my cellphone for everything.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pardon for asking but what is the point of it all. I just use my cellphone for everything.
I would tell you if I thought you had the need to know. ;)

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

Not a lot. Mainly for me it is preserving the 20 year old phone number. Also there is some value in having home based 911 services. If it were more than $20 a month I'd kill it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator