Was the OL truly awful against UK?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Since we rushed so poorly against UK and Mertz checked down so often/was sacked 3X, it seemed either the OL was terrible blocking or we ran into outnumbered boxes and for passing Mertz is checking down too often/too quickly or the scheme is limiting him. I was curious which had the biggest impact and which OL were there worst.

Since this is long, here is the surprising to many result: Of the plays I could rewatch (the video missed a couple), I only saw 5 total plays where the OL was fully to blame for ruining the play. 2 of those were miscommunications/reads. 3 times we were truly "beat" and once was Slaughter on one of the few plays he was in the game.

In the run game, I had 12 plays well blocked, 5 decent/neutral were the RB needs to make a play but the OL at least held ground, and 2 plays had simply bad blocking (I'm missing two runs, including the 1st and goal from the 1). Unfortunately, one came on 4th and 2 on the final offensive play, and for some reasons Slaughter was in and it was the only play we got totally blown up. The other play was a miscommunication/blown assignment on 1st and 10 at our own 16 in the third quarter where we left the DT unblocked. Despite us running so badly, we had only 1 running play where our OL "got abused/out toughed".

So, why then?

I have us running into an outnumbered box, often by 2 guys 9 times on the 19 rushes I could see, including the first play of the game where we tried to block 8 guys with 6 and a wholly unblocked player made the tackle for no gain (which was a pattern when we were outnumbered). The OL did well on their individual blocks. Interestingly, we only did this once in the first quarter. Then, we seemed impatient or Mertz stopped audibling us out of runs into outmanned positions. For instance, we ran into outmanned situations to start the second quarter on 1st, 3rd, and then on 4th where we were stuffed by the free defender.

One 3rd and 2 in the 3rd quarter, down 16, we ran into a 10 man box. We still almost got the first by MJ pushing on 2 unblocked guys, but only gained 1.5 yards. We jumped offsides on 4th and 1 (or were called for it at least) and punted.

Another really awful example was 3rd and 9 in the fourth, we ran with 5 OL vs their 6 guys and a medium depth safety just outside what I would count as in the box. The safety easily came down to make the tackle at 4-5 yards. Good call in the 1st quarter. Not then. Fourth down, which we do not get.

I only recall 1 run that we did not gain 3+ yards when we had even numbers. Everything else was positive. The rest of the zero or loss of yardage runs were all into schematic disadvantages pre-snap.

On our third possession, the holes were good/more obvious, but the rotation had MJ in and he doesn't make as much of those plays as ETN does. That is where the rotation can hurt. On the other side of it, I'm guessing when the RB coach reviews film, he'll be happier with MJs read of the zone blocks later in the game and patience to pick the developing hole better than ETN. I don't think it is an accident though, that ETN seemed to have the outnumbered box more than MJ. But I did not chart that until i noticed the pattern too late to go back.

In the passing game, I saw 28 passes with plenty of time/decent pocket. One is the very long sack, which Mertz turned into a sack with his drift right tendency. If he scoots up and a bit left more, he is standing for 5 seconds. I had 6 plays with some pressure/mushiness but not things an SEC QB should not expect and be able to step out of or release at 3 seconds instead of 4. None of those 6 had our OL getting just flat beat badly/out toughed.

There were only 3 truly bad protection breakdowns. 2 were on CB blitzes that seemed likely presnap/not disguised much at all. The first, was the second play of the game. The RT and Mertz completely don't see it. Mertz doesn't go to either uncovered receivers to his right behind the blitz and the RT doesn't block either of two outside blitzers. Sack. The next time, both Mertz and the RT see it. The RT oversteps, blitzer goes under and gets to Mertz very quickly. Fortunately, Mertz stepped up, hit Jackson for a 13 yard hitch on 3rd and 12.

The last pressure, Kingsley does just get flat beat. Kingsley slid the protection left and tried to pick up the left side DT and got blown back. Sack. So two sacks on those 3 plays.

What is my analysis here: It is a combination of scheme and Mertz, with a very good chance Mertz's limitations are impacting the scheme. He checks down in an almost panic a LOT when the pocket is still clean. The Arlis interception has body posture and throwing mechanics like Mertz is about to be blown up. But, there is no one around. The pocket is fine. Similar on the miss on a wide open Jackson. That play, while being about a 15 yard pass, might be a TD with a good pass and 1 guy to beat by Jackson as UK had nearly everyone else at the line of scrimmage.

Even down 3 scores and 7 minutes to go in the fourth, Mertz is panic checking down early in his drop back. We all know his stats are misleading, but it is worse when you rewatch nearly every pass play to see why we are doing this. I'm sure UK did a decent job on the areas beyond the cameras, but was Charlotte also doing so great, or does Mertz simply not anticipate well or can't lead a WR downfield. How many guys do we see catching while moving in stride and have possible YAC.

Regardless, this was meant as an analysis of our OL since they have been getting killed on here. They were not perfect, but few will against SEC DL. But, they played well enough to win and score points if the play caller and QB were not the most conservative combination outside of West Point's triple option. I do see why Mertz and Billy love each other. Their cautious, terrified money, approaches are nearly identical.

Oddly, I feel worse about our situation now, by knowing we have an OL that can run block well and generally pass protect, but we still can't score any points.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
@Sec14Gator when you break it down like that it makes you wonder. It just makes you think, WTF can't you figure this out and check into the right play?

:what:

Other teams specifically TOOTHLESS, uses this as part of their fast paced offense. You walk up to the line, see 5 or less in the box = run. See 6+ = pass. And it's a quick 1-2 ball is gone. With the OL blocking as you analyze here it should not be a problem. Especially if our QB is tending to panic as you suggest. One thing I have always wondered about the type of offense utilizing the "spread" or as we have the "pistol". These offenses are predicated on having a QB that somewhat run and keep defenses honest. I'm sure that most do, but many that we see have a QB that will pull that fake and take off. Defenses are not respecting us all. UK did not have to assign "spy" for Mertz as they know and took a chance that he is not going to run much if not at all. So therefore another extra unblocked defender. Another thing with the offense, I see the pistol as part of the spread system, but yet we continue to "bunch" all of personnel together. The main thing is to make the defense "spread out" and cover the entire field.

Defenses are not adjusting to our pre-snap running around the field BS at all. And if you're hell bent on running into the box, forget all the pre-snap foreplay and bring everyone in 8 on 8 and put a hat on each blocker. If we block as you outline we should be good for 3-4 yards a pop at least. But we're not fooling anyone with that we're doing. I would simplify it for Mertz. Give them some checks they understand. If I walk up and 4-5 we're going to run it. I see a stacked box, pass it, snap 1, 2 get the ball out. When the defense backs off, then you're able to do more.

Probably easier said or done, but BN is going to have to do something else because this offense, the window dressing, and play calling ain't getting it done. If he is as analytical as he says, he already knows he heading down a path that's not good. Question is, does he adapt. I hope that he does and figures it out. If I can think of this stuff, he certainly should be able to as well. If not I am going to be more like I was at times last Saturday.

1696504307193.gif

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
can't you figure this out and check into the right play?
In the first quarter it looked like we did exactly that. And the pass heavy offense at Utah was likely for the same reason.

Then what? You have to be able to successfully pass when the numbers support it. Right now we can’t/are not even though protection is decent. I think that then leads to the forced situations later in the game. Again, we only ran into bad numbers on the first play of the game and then not again until the start of the second quarter.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In the first quarter it looked like we did exactly that. And the pass heavy offense at Utah was likely for the same reason.

Then what? You have to be able to successfully pass when the numbers support it. Right now we can’t/are not even though protection is decent. I think that then leads to the forced situations later in the game. Again, we only ran into bad numbers on the first play of the game and then not again until the start of the second quarter.
Agreed, so then it's personnel? Would just like a chance to see what Brown could do for us, yes pun intended. At least might be more of a run threat.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
A lot of folks assume the lack of downfield passing is on Mertz. Dude has been around a long time and seems like a smart QB so absent anything contrary, I am inclined to think he is being coached to check it down to the short throws. That seems more of BNs style.

A big gripe I have is receivers running drag routes 1-2 yards short of the 1st down and getting tackled short bringing up 4th down or a failed 4th down.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah...OL sucked ballz but you also give a bit of credit to UK DL

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
A lot of folks assume the lack of downfield passing is on Mertz. Dude has been around a long time and seems like a smart QB so absent anything contrary, I am inclined to think he is being coached to check it down to the short throws. That seems more of BNs style.

A big gripe I have is receivers running drag routes 1-2 yards short of the 1st down and getting tackled short bringing up 4th down or a failed 4th down.
Mertz didnt have the best game. Love him and think he is really good and a great pick up in the portal and hope he comes back for another season. Dude is good. But he had a bad game. Missed some big time throws that would have changed to course of the game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
personally i think all of em have a hefty helping of suck. none are immune. and stricklin can EA-fat-BOD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.