We are close... but not quite good enough... yet

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After rewatching the LSU scoring drives, I'm not sure we did give it our best. Guys missing assignments, slow to react, dogging it after the runner.

The second look was worst than the first.

Reese and Miller in particular looked lost on a couple long LSU runs. WTF is up with Miller?

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
LSU has the most experienced team in the SEC, if not the nation, and is loaded with NFL talent, including a probable 1st round pick in Burrow and safety Delpit. UF was highly competitive in a hostile environment with a QB starting his 4th game since 9th grade!! And we only have a few players who will play for any length of time in the NFL. The defense got exposed when our 2 elite DE's couldn't play and our lack of quality depth across the board (except WR) is pretty obvious. I agree that we're getting closer to being back in the upper echelon of college football and it will take a couple more top recruiting classes to get us the number of elite players we need to get there. But it sure is nice to be back in the national conversation again, have Game Day involved in our games 2 weeks in a row, etc.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
LSU has the most experienced team in the SEC, if not the nation, and is loaded with NFL talent, including a probable 1st round pick in Burrow and safety Delpit. UF was highly competitive in a hostile environment with a QB starting his 4th game since 9th grade!! And we only have a few players who will play for any length of time in the NFL. The defense got exposed when our 2 elite DE's couldn't play and our lack of quality depth across the board (except WR) is pretty obvious. I agree that we're getting closer to being back in the upper echelon of college football and it will take a couple more top recruiting classes to get us the number of elite players we need to get there. But it sure is nice to be back in the national conversation again, have Game Day involved in our games 2 weeks in a row, etc.

I know that initially when the LSU game was set for 8pm, there was a minority who felt it was a disadvantage to us, etc. given the Death Valley thing at nite. But I was ecstatic and given your point, I said that being completely off the radar for 10 years, I want every game possible on the most screens in every establishment possible. And the marquee nite game is on everywhere and probalbly grabs a larger audience due to bars, etc. than the 330 CBS games.

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
After rewatching the LSU scoring drives, I'm not sure we did give it our best. Guys missing assignments, slow to react, dogging it after the runner.

The second look was worst than the first.

Reese and Miller in particular looked lost on a couple long LSU runs. WTF is up with Miller?

Miller tries like heck but he is just not very good.....LSU put a big red X on him and targeted him every way imaginable.

Look at the long TD by Chase. LSU set that play up and Miller actually screened off Henderson to free Chase.

I don't know how that kid sniffs the field.....he's just not good and if he's the best we got then we've got a bad bad bad situation at LB

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
I know that initially when the LSU game was set for 8pm, there was a minority who felt it was a disadvantage to us, etc. given the Death Valley thing at nite. But I was ecstatic and given your point, I said that being completely off the radar for 10 years, I want every game possible on the most screens in every establishment possible. And the marquee nite game is on everywhere and probalbly grabs a larger audience due to bars, etc. than the 330 CBS games.

I think it worked too.....we only dropped 2 spots with the loss. I think we got a lot of respect in that game

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Recruiting should fix itself if we keep playing the way we have lately, these kids have seen nothing but garbage from Florida for the last 10 years. Even when we won it looked bad. This year is the first year when we get the ball I expect to see a score and not a punt.

Penalties are something I see have improved drastically. Not only the fact we seem to be getting less if them but, when we do get one it seems we can overcome it. In years past we should have punted on 2nd and 20 because there wasn't any hope to get a first down. Not so much anymore.

Recruiting will not fix itself.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Recruiting should fix itself if we keep playing the way we have lately,
these kids have seen nothing but garbage from Florida for the last 10 years. Even when we won it looked bad. This year is the first year when we get the ball I expect to see a score and not a punt.

Recruiting will not fix itself.

I think you both are right. Recruiting will not fix itself, but I do think that the play we've seen the last year and a half will open more eyes toward Gainesville. Does that mean Florida will begin recruiting itself again? No, but I think it will move us closer to that than we have been in years. Most of these kids coming in 2020 were 7 when Florida was ok in offense under Addazio/Tebow. All they know is 100+ offenses until the past year and a half. With that track record a lot of kids probably ignore us based on familiarity alone. Now, a lot of kids are beginning to take notice of our on the field accomplishments and brand.

With that said, Mullen needs to up his game with sealing the deal with recruits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator