We are not DBU

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n299442 said:
Wasn't there only 1 WR going out for a pass on that play? I don't think both safeties are supposed to stay home in that situation.
The safeties had two deep zones. Yes, they were supposed to stay home. Of course, they read run BC it was a run, for a second.

It's not just this play, it a pattern with these safeties. They just aren't good in coverage.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I spent last week in Louisiana on business and I was in the car listening to sports talk for a good bit of it. All the hosts and callers seemed to think they'd found their QB after the South Carolina game. Much of that homerism, no doubt, but Harris is pretty underrated, really.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;299424 said:
Well unsurprisingly we are going on 10 years since we have had a safety that has any ball skills...

Reggie Nelson was 9 years ago so I'm assuming you mean after him 'cause you can't really question his ball skills.

Since RFN...

Major Wright and Ahmad Black.

Will Hill

Matt Elam and Pop Saunders

Josh Evans

OK, so none of those guys are RFN but who the hell is?

But you do have a point. Who is the best of that bunch with the ball in the air? Black?

Alex.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have good thoughts about Elam, Wright and Black... :cool:

but, as our ole enemy Bowden once said about Nelson, 'you can hear that boy's footsteps when he plays'

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I know this thread is about the DBs but where was Bullard yesterday? Was it me or was his name hardly called at all?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
T REX;n299580 said:
I know this thread is about the DBs but where was Bullard yesterday? Was it me or was his name hardly called at all?

He was manhandled for the most part.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
LongTooth;n299412 said:
This will continue to be a problem against UGA. They have a decent inside run game even with out Chubb and they will look to burn us with play action just like LSU did. Their QB isn't anything world class but he can make the same sorts of throws LSU's guy did.

I was worried about this issue when I saw lesser teams go over the top against us and it finally caught up to us against quality opposition.

Our D has pride and won't put two lacking performances together, and Mac will really need to get Treon to try and hit more of his throws otherwise half the offensive playbook will be out the window.

But we still have a chance for a great season even with all this team's shortcomings and that is pretty amazing.

They just scored three field goals against Mizz. I'm not nearly as worried about their offense. Especially with two weeks to prep.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yes you are correct, I was referencing back to RFN so I was just "guesstimating" the years. But as to some of the other names, Will Hill actually had good ball skills when he was in the right position which was almost never. Hill never grasped the concept of "as deep as the deepest". But of the other names I would also agree that the best of the bunch position and ball skill wise was Ahmad Black. I equate Black with like a Todd Johnson. Smart players usually in the correct spot but just a step slow to be a great safety but very serviceable players.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The DBs made mistakes and cost us 14 points. Harris was better than expected. He threw accurate passes. Our DBs should have played better, the did in the second half. As far as LBs if we get Anzalone back that will make a big difference

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;299629 said:
The DBs made mistakes and cost us 14 points. Harris was better than expected. He threw accurate passes. Our DBs should have played better, the did in the second half. As far as LBs if we get Anzalone back that will make a big difference

With the exception of the long TD, I have to fault the pass rush as much as the DBs. Harris had ALL DAY back there. That was what surprised me most.

Alex.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299439 said:
MattElam begs to differ.

So does Amhad Black. ...and Will Hill. ...and Brian Poole. ...and Keanu Neal. ...and Marcus Maye.

[video=youtube;u6Bs4tm8rzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Bs4tm8rzw[/video]

...out of position maybe, but saying we don't have a safety that has any ball skills is very wrong. Saying we haven't had any in close to 10 years is waaaaay wrong. Not every game shows their talent and not every game is going to be like Ole Miss was this year. This LSU game is more understandable than most seeing the running challenge they were facing. Let's hope this is just day-after-loss short sightedness.

:cluebat: We need the cluebat here.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n299555 said:
Reggie Nelson was 9 years ago so I'm assuming you mean after him 'cause you can't really question his ball skills.

Since RFN...

Major Wright and Ahmad Black.

Will Hill

Matt Elam and Pop Saunders

Josh Evans

OK, so none of those guys are RFN but who the hell is?

But you do have a point. Who is the best of that bunch with the ball in the air? Black?

Alex.

I thought about Evans, but didn't include him. I completely forgot about Pop Saunders. :clap:

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Our safetey's have been the problem for a few years now. They are always getting fooled and are out of position just enough to allow big plays. Not much can be done about it until we get some different players in there.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Funny how losing highlights weakness.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n299635 said:
With the exception of the long TD, I have to fault the pass rush as much as the DBs. Harris had ALL DAY back there. That was what surprised me most.

Alex.

I agree... I was shocked that our DL didn't get more pressure and make more plays. LSU's offensive line manhandled our DL in the pass protection and in run blocking. Fournette is amazing, but he also was getting 5 yards before contact some of the times...

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is no doubt fournette is a good back. There is no doubt he is a strong runner. There is no doubt he is fast. But, if he didn't have the OL opening up huge holes for him he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he is. If he had our OL he would be averaging 100-125 yards a game versus the 200+ that he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator