We are not DBU

Jbossgator8

Lifetime Member
We gave up too many big passing plays vs LSU against a QB that has not been that good passing the football this year. He stepped up and our DBs just couldn't stop them. Our defense as a whole has to play better that's for sure.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Those apparent DB lapses didn't all occur in a vacuum, although Mac did say afterward that we tried to do too many things in the first half instead of just doing our job. We hardly pressured Harris all night long.

Fact is, we match up better with some teams than others. LSU is big, physical and it won the line of scrimmage. Fournette proved how good he is but he had big holes on several runs. Having to key on him all night undoubtedly led to some of the issues in the secondary.

Jbossgator8

Lifetime Member
LSU is not DBU either cause we passed on them too. VH3 got abused a few times out there and that was VERY surprising. We are still DBU but last night it DID NOT look like it at all against an LSU QB that had trouble passing the ball ALL year and our DBU made him look like an All SEC QB. We have to shore up our defense. Go Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jbossgator8;n299370 said:
LSU is not DBU either cause we passed on them too. VH3 got abused a few times out there and that was VERY surprising.
No. On that TD VH3 was supposed to have two safeties over the top, BOTH of whom bit on the fake. VH3 was just fast enough to get back on the tv screen while Neal and Washington weren't.

Our safeties still suck in coverage. Nothing new here. One of the reasons they suck in coverage is because they are constantly having to clean up for the LBs on runs. The LBs are nonexistent vs. the run. It's hard to find a play last night in which the LB filled a hole to even be in a position to miss the tackle. When Neal and Maye are your leading tacklers against a running team, you know the defense has huge problems.

MJMGator

Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n299376 said:
No. On that TD VH3 was supposed to have two safeties over the top, BOTH of whom bit on the fake. VH3 was just fast enough to get back on the tv screen while Neal and Washington weren't.

Our safeties still suck in coverage. Nothing new here. One of the reasons they suck in coverage is because they are constantly having to clean up for the LBs on runs. The LBs are nonexistent vs. the run. It's hard to find a play last night in which the LB filled a hole to even be in a position to miss the tackle. When Neal and Maye are your leading tacklers against a running team, you know the defense has huge problems.
I agree. We knew we were woefully short-handed at LB coming into the season and we don't have a choice in who plays because of it. Their shortcomings are effecting us in more ways than one.

gardnerwebbgator

Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Pussy Andreu jumped all over it too. The UFAA should revoke both his and Fat Tooley's press credentials once and for all. They both are colossal *******s.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n299376 said:

This will continue to be a problem against UGA. They have a decent inside run game even with out Chubb and they will look to burn us with play action just like LSU did. Their QB isn't anything world class but he can make the same sorts of throws LSU's guy did.

I was worried about this issue when I saw lesser teams go over the top against us and it finally caught up to us against quality opposition.

Our D has pride and won't put two lacking performances together, and Mac will really need to get Treon to try and hit more of his throws otherwise half the offensive playbook will be out the window.

But we still have a chance for a great season even with all this team's shortcomings and that is pretty amazing.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n299376 said:
One of the reasons they suck in coverage is because they are constantly having to clean up for the LBs on runs. The LBs are nonexistent vs. the run.
They're also not helping the safeties and nickel by taking away short and intermediate routes over the middle. I thought the game was lost in the late 1st and early 2nd quarter when Harris(LSU) converted every 3rd down with completions across the middle. It didn't help that we couldn't sustain drives by running the ball on offense to keep LF off the field.
What ever happened to the GT transfer LB? I did see MacMillan although he was getting launched about 20 feet through the air by a LSU player.....

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Well unsurprisingly we are going on 10 years since we have had a safety that has any ball skills. It has become totally unacceptable to see weekly a group of safetys who have zero ball skills and are way too often out of position. When you watch truly well coached defenses in college (only a couple left I know) oyu see guys where they are suppossed to be 95% of the time. So I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not the coaches, but the uniforms. If you play safety and wear the O&B chances are you will have no ball skills.

NavetG8r

Stupid
Lifetime Member
FireFoley;n299424 said:
If you play safety and wear the O&B chances are you will have no ball skills.

This won't always be true. JMac will recruit safeties that can do more than run support. Muschamp had to recruit run stopper safeties because he apparently thinks you don't need LBs.

MJMGator

Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
FireFoley;n299424 said:
Well unsurprisingly we are going on 10 years since we have had a safety that has any ball skills. It has become totally unacceptable to see weekly a group of safetys who have zero ball skills and are way too often out of position. When you watch truly well coached defenses in college (only a couple left I know) oyu see guys where they are suppossed to be 95% of the time. So I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not the coaches, but the uniforms. If you play safety and wear the O&B chances are you will have no ball skills.

MattElam begs to differ.

Bernardo de la Paz

Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n299376 said:

Wasn't there only 1 WR going out for a pass on that play? I don't think both safeties are supposed to stay home in that situation.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
MJMGator;n299439 said:
MattElam begs to differ.

I beg to differ with Matt Elam As a safety in zone coverage Matt Elam had terrible ball skills and only seem to care about head hunting. He was late often to his responsiblities. But as a nickel back he was very good in coverage, but not so good as a safety. We can agree to disagree.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
In assessing the DB's and LBs performance in this game, you have to consider just how much Fournette forces a defense into a 9 vs 1 mindset, and 9 vs 1 plays. Plus LSU's OL is excellent. Our strategy was to gamble to stop Fournette in the backfield, and put them off-schedule which would hopefully force a punt. We're not shooting for three-and-outs. We're shooting for a 3rd and long once every 2 or 3 series, which they don't make, so they give us back the ball. Sometimes that worked, and sometime it didn't. He had a bunch of -3, -4, and -6 plays, where we won. And a bunch of 10, 12, 14 yard plays where LSU won.

This strategy also challenges LSU to beat us via passing. And their guy frankly did much better than I had expected him to do. But that last TD pass in the first half was an abomination on us that should never have happened, we had a number of players in the vicinity but somehow they were all flat-footed when the ball got there.

Take away that one horrendous play, and it's a tie in the last two minutes of the game.

We certainly could have won that game. But we didn't.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
FireFoley;n299445 said:
I beg to differ with Matt Elam As a safety in zone coverage Matt Elam had terrible ball skills and only seem to care about head hunting. He was late often to his responsiblities. But as a nickel back he was very good in coverage, but not so good as a safety. We can agree to disagree.

My god you're an idiot.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
If by DBU - you mean:
Def Back Unproven
Def Back Unrealized potential

There have been lapses in coverage and busted plays but overall they have played well - even in the lsu game (second half).
Once we wrap up our New Year's bowl game we can look back and grade them.
Until then - DBU is just hype.

NavetG8r

Stupid
Lifetime Member
Yankeetown;n299457 said:
But that last TD pass in the first half was an abomination on us that should never have happened, we had a number of players in the vicinity but somehow they were all flat-footed when the ball got there.

Let's not forget he never should have got the opportunity to throw the ball in the first place. For the 20th time of the game we had a defender decide to try and grab a piece of the QB's shirt when he scrambled out of the pocket instead of wrapping him up and making the tackle. There was plenty of blame to go around on that play, and really the whole game imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.