We Avoided the Shutout at Home; Offense Inept, Defense Finally Lost Trust?c

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just got home from the game. Can't sleep so I'll post some observations and comments from what was a very disappointing game, to say the least. Here goes:

*One of the biggest factors of the game was field position, won by the Noles, as we seemed to start at the 25 or behind it on every possession. We were still able to drive into their red zone on I think four possessions (five if you count the next to last one) and scored ZERO points. We were not vey clean offensively most of the night, especially with chances to score.

*I especially hate that the Noles were able to score a couple of late TDs and Cook wound up with over 150 rushing when he was nulled in the first half. I will not say our D quit in the latter stages, but I do think they mentally let down and I can't help but believe that their trust in the O (paramount with regard to the QB play most likely) reached a critical mass tonight. I don't buy what Mick and the McGriffs were selling in their post game analysis about them being gassed, as they played only 57 snaps. If I'm correct, this certainly doesn't bode well for next week without some voodoo turn around.

*I certainly don't profess to be a prophet, but I remarked to my friend after their initial FG to go up 3-0 that this very well could be an insurmountable lead! I believed it and unfortunately it wound up being true.

*Sorry Ox, but Mac said in his post game comments that there would be no change at QB next week. He realizes the poor play but says there are other guys not getting the job done and all combined hurts the consistency of execution, especially in the red zone. Treon is not a very good QB right now and it is debatable if he ever will be (I'm leaning toward "no"); but if I read Mac correctly, he knows that the guy or guys behind him are worse. I'm not with the change for the sake of change when it involves guys I haven't seen. I'm deferring to Mac's judgement on this even if we lose next week. I know in my head and heart that we have already exceeded reasonable expectations with a relatively weak offensive roster. Doesn't mean we can't improve on our record, but sometimes your perspective has to be ruled by reality and not a sense of frustration and/or hubris. Best solution in my mind is a February deal where we get a couple of QBs, hopefully one that can compete right out of HS or JC.

*Looked like the OL played a better game last night. They still had some gaffs, but opened enough holes for KT to have a good night rushing (136 I believe and with his dad in attendance). Pass pro was ok.

*Receivers weren't great last night. Seems we had some busts on routes. The QB didn't help, however. I don't recall ever seeing as many one yard receptions. He missed some open receivers and threw at the feet on a couple of rolls. Back to the receivers, Mac commented on Robinson's suspension and said that his return would be up to his teammates, so I'm not sure if there is more than just a missed curfew as reported in another thread. Kid may have mailed it in already.

*Secondary play was inconsistent in my opinion. Made McGuire look better than he was. We missed a couple of pick opportunities that would have surely helped somehow. I got to thinking after the game that McGuire would be a future CFB trivia answer, the question being "who was the best QB in the 2015 UF/FSU game played at BHG? Not exactly up there with the upper eschelon otherwise. Quincy Wilson looked lost on a couple of coverages. Not a DB issue, but Morrison got isolated on a receiver and was burned. This has happened before in an earlier game and is a schematic issue that just can't happen. McGuire and the Noles coaches saw this and took advantage. This on Collins.

*Hardin is done and really has been for the bulk of this season. If he does anything else this year it only needs to be KOs. Mac alluded to such saying that we would get a new and better kicker, presumably for next season, so it sounds like his patience with Hardin is done. Time for the dentist finally?

I'm usually as positive and upbeat as a Gator fan comes, but barring a miraculous clean up in practice next week and a favorable bowl pairing and greater execution, we may have won our last game of the season last week. Should it play out like that (and I hope it doesn't), I think it is still important to maintain perspective on what has been accomplished this season as well as what has been exposed as areas that need attention in recruiting and off season practice. I'll finish with a few more thoughts on Treon. One stat that really hurt were about half a dozen passes that were knocked down last night. Though he looks to be trying to stay with the pocket, his height hurts. Personally, I thought he had several,opportunities to take off and run but didn't and I'd like to see him coached up,to do so in these last two games. Not being able to check out of plays or reroute receivers pre snap is a killer. There were several opportunities where a slant from the slots would have been an easy throw and catch if a route change could have been called. Not a shocker, but the kid just can't seem to process all the things he needs to progress beyond where he is currently stuck and likely never wil consistently. But he's sort of the best of the worst this year and looks like we'll ride it out with him. We'll have to see how it plays out. In the meantime, Go Gators and compete well or better in the remaining games.

Last edited:

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Next week is going to be worse than Nebraska '96.
At least we scored a bit in that one.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concur with your observations, I hope the Defensive unit pride takes precedence in that they don't 'start' the remaining games in the "no trust O mode". Enough inept scoring games have gone by now whereby coming off the field after a good D series doesn't reward with O scoring at a respectable percentage. We can't even depend on FG help at this point in the season to reward good D effort. Sobering feeling to be sure. Good takes Cover.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good points as always Cover. From our seats directly behind Harris it is very obvious he cannot see the middle of the field at all. McGee and Thompson were open numerous times on drag routes and he simply cannot find them. Combine that with the inability to process the offense in the middle of a play and he's lost. I trust Mac at this point and can tell from his presser that he's frustrated as well and will get personnel he wants. If I were a QB or PK and wanted immediate playing time, I'd be beating Mac's door down.

Thanks for the post Cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Thanks Cover. Great analysis. It is what it is. We have two more years of rebuilding. If Grier hadn't screwed up maybe we'd only have one more rebuilding year. The next two games are still important, if only for recruiting. Next year may be a long year, but 2017 should show major improvements. I am always optimistic and love my Gators.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cover 2 I always enjoy your views (as from another site in past) and you were always open to others views. You briefly touched on something I have been harping on since Harris was thrust into the starting job, and that is coaching him up. However I specifically have said that since Harris became the starter that the play calling and game management have been nothing short of horrendous. Now with that said, the outcome of the FSU game would not have been different, but I am a process guy, and the process leads to the results. Outside of the USCe game, the play calling has been atrocious. In the USCe game they had more bootlegs and rollouts on early downs, used the backs and TE's as receivers, ran some running plays using cross buck action etc. Now compare to the FSU game. We drove early and for some reason they tried some silly formation. Well instead of confusing FSU it confused us as any moron could see it was an illegal formation as I was screaming at the TV pre snap. Why try that when moving the ball? Also, with the kicking game a disaster, you must call plays when in certain areas of the field with the thought of using all 4 downs, so on 3rd down and about 4 or 5 for a 1st down and 7ish for a TD, it was clear when were going to go for it on 4th down. So what can't you do on 3rd down? Lose Yardage. So they decide to call a pocket pass on that play, not allowing for any optionality and Harris grounded the ball in 2 ways (not out of pocket, nor did ball reach the LOS). That could or should have been a run play, a zone read, a run/pass option, etc., knowing you were going to go on 4th down. Then if you want to call a pocket pass on 4th down fine. I understand the concept of coaching positively, but you have to go on the long list of experiences which says Harris is not a pocket QB, and that was not the time to have him in the pocket. Do we ever move the pocket to give Harris better vision? NO!! Why? Is it b/c our O-line is so bad they can't understand that concept, or has that not crossed the coaches thought processes? Why do we never isolate our RB's on LB's as the main option on a pass route to help Harris? Meanwhile as you mention Morrison gets isolated on a WR? How in the he77 does that happen? Morrison can't cover TE's or RB;s how can he cover a WR?

I know this may be nit picking as the regular season has been a success (record wise), but it just seems obvious to me that the play calling has not done a lot to aid Harris. I am not saying they should have entirely changed the play book b/c everything I wanted was already in the playbook as those plays occasionally get run. The problem is that they seemed stubborn in not rearranging the playbook and seem to leave it in the order it has always been in regarding the type of QB they had or want to have taking the snaps. To me that adaptability would have me totally convinced that we have a coach who entirely grasps the immediate situation, instead of one who keeps trying to force things that clearly are not there. BTW with the same thought processes against Alabama, we probably do not cross the 50 yd. line unless thru a turnover or a special teams play.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LOL You know i like you Cover but good lord, if what you saw from the offense is defined as "not very clean" and from treon, "not very good" I'd hate to see what you'd call bad. :trainwreck:

I'll leave the superlatives to the true wordsmiths! Sorry, just trying to be as objective as possible w/o too much bashing, as the kid will suit up twice more this season. Bright side, if it can be called that, the offense did have five length of the field drives that he was a part of. Bad, obviously, was that the red zone was a cluster and most of that he wears. I'm looking at things through 55 year old eyes and memories from many seasons on the sidelines, press boxes, and the stands. I am still passionate, but more analytical and try to look at the program as such. I understand the noise from the fans for change at the QB position and the frustration lingering from Champ/Driskel. But as I stated earlier, I trust that Mac knows what he's got behind Treon and if he thought a change would be better he would.

Last edited:

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
The fourth quarter reminded me of the past few years. A defense playing lights out that just let the dam break when it became clear the offense wasn't going to do their part to help whatsoever. This is two years in a row where a mediocre offense would have torched FSU. I truly feel bad for our defensive studs.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Mac says in the presser that Harris didn't play great but a lot of people around him didn't either. He then goes on in the same presser to praise literally everyone else around him for playing great. Said KT played well. Says the OLine competed hard and held up. Says receivers were open. So exactly who is left around him that didn't play very well? I don't think anyone who watches our games is buying Mac's defense of Treon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Foley. To your thoughts on play calls that might help Treon, I am of the opinion that a run/pass option on third and -5 should be called more often. I don't think we use play action as much as we should and with KT rushing for 136 last night, I think there were opportunities. I don't think we throw to the backs enough other than in the flats, though he did hit KT on a nice little circle. Interesting thing about that pass that gained 8 I think was that Treon had an opportunity to run and would have had KT as a blocker and could easily gained significantly more yardage. Again I'd like to see him coached up to run when there is a clear lane out of the pocket. The % is in his favor.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac says in the presser that Harris didn't play great but a lot of people around him didn't either. He then goes on in the same presser to praise literally everyone else around him for playing great. Said KT played well. Says the OLine competed hard and held up. Says receivers were open. So exactly who is left around him that didn't play very well? I don't think anyone who watches our games is buying Mac's defense of Treon.
Dude, he's not going to go out there in front of the media and rip the only QB he has no matter how crappy he plays. He knows damn well that the QB play is terrible.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Dude, he's not going to go out there in front of the media and rip the only QB he has no matter how crappy he plays. He knows damn well that the QB play is terrible.

THIS. There's nobody behind Treon. Trust me, Mac thinks Treon sucks and he knows it's awful with him out there. There's just simply not another option. A head coach can't come out and say how bad his starting QB is. Mac is working with a dumpster fire left by Muschamp and a crap sandwich made by Grier.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I listened and heard what you heard. I think he was probably talking in terms of consistency as much as anything where the other players were concerned, though it didn't sound like that I know. Tron had about as lousy a game as you could have, particularly in terms of points produced. As I previously stated, the offense did move the ball the length of the field on five drives in which he did have some bright spots, but that is rendered relatively meaningless to many fans and is concerning to the coaches when the offense produces zero points.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At the swamp they continually show box score stats on the scoreboard during the game. Amazingly up until midway through the 4th quarter we had more yards and over twice as many 1st downs as FSU. We moved the ball. We just couldn't make any big plays. The clowns were kinda the opposite, they couldn't do squat 90% of the time but then wham they'd complete a pass for 50 yards and flip the field. So frustrating.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Just found this forum, so glad to read C2's analysis again!

I agree with what C2 posted and think if we had a better option then Mac would play him. At least Treon didnt have all the turnovers yesterday and he is playing hard. He is better with scramble option, maybe we need to run the old triple option for him. But I dont believe the O line is athletic enough to pull it off. Start running a two back set all the time? I know We need some type of viable misdirection on every play to slow the pass rush. I have not been a KT fan as I thought he ran soft, but he has changed my mind the past few weeks. If only he was faster. TH facial expressions looked confused at times and in control others, but way too many oportunities missed.

The DB seemed off last night. FSU had a number of huge drops that were lucky for us. Schematically we could have been planning for Cook and that left gaps, but you cant have LB on a receiver. Bullard is one of the best run stoppers the gators have had in a long time. His tackles for loss continue to impress me. Our pass rush needs improving (unless we are not trying for sacks) and we let the qb escape too often, but man the guys were hitting last night. A couple of Neals hits rattled my teeth :)

As always we are a fickle bunch and want perfection, but I am impressed with Mac's continued work on the primadonnas and I am confident in his decisions. I believe we had a more wideopen game plan last night that we changed as Treon was so off. Frustrated yes, nut soo much better than '79...

Go Gators

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just found this forum, so glad to read C2's analysis again!

I agree with what C2 posted and think if we had a better option then Mac would play him. At least Treon didnt have all the turnovers yesterday and he is playing hard. He is better with scramble option, maybe we need to run the old triple option for him. But I dont believe the O line is athletic enough to pull it off. Start running a two back set all the time? I know We need some type of viable misdirection on every play to slow the pass rush. I have not been a KT fan as I thought he ran soft, but he has changed my mind the past few weeks. If only he was faster. TH facial expressions looked confused at times and in control others, but way too many oportunities missed.

The DB seemed off last night. FSU had a number of huge drops that were lucky for us. Schematically we could have been planning for Cook and that left gaps, but you cant have LB on a receiver. Bullard is one of the best run stoppers the gators have had in a long time. His tackles for loss continue to impress me. Our pass rush needs improving (unless we are not trying for sacks) and we let the qb escape too often, but man the guys were hitting last night. A couple of Neals hits rattled my teeth :)

As always we are a fickle bunch and want perfection, but I am impressed with Mac's continued work on the primadonnas and I am confident in his decisions. I believe we had a more wideopen game plan last night that we changed as Treon was so off. Frustrated yes, nut soo much better than '79...

Go Gators

Welcome to the best damn Gator message board on the net! Glad you found us.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Stevie Wonder could see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator