Wednesday Worsts… Workplace accidents

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The poor kids. All they remember now about the great Cover2 is that he fell in the end. They will say "Good thing he retired when he did."

:grin:
More truth to that than I’ll ever admit!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Forgot..... My WORST workplace accident was putting a bungy cord into my right eye. My niece the nurse shuddered when she saw it.
3 surgeries later I'm legally blind in that eye. Close up depth perception sucks.
Great, one of my irrational fears has just been confirmed.
Ouch!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not sure that I would call that an accident. More of a "Devine intervention" type situation. A guy that I used to work with was an avid cyclist. He was riding around town one day years ago and a careless driver hit him. His injuries sent him to the hospital where many tests were done to make sure he was ok. A blood test revealed that he had some weird type of blood disease that he would likely have never known about until it was too late so he was able to get that treated.

And you are right, it can always be worse. Thankful that yours wasn't...
Dad fell and broke some ribs but discovered small cell lung cancer on the X-ray. Caught it in the very early stage. His oncologist gave him 2.5 years because survival rate is so low. He’s cancer free 2.5 years later.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This was sort of a workplace accident. The memory popped up on FB today. Twelve years ago I was mowing and a wild rose bush slashed across my face and my eye. Two antibiotics and a week of rest and it was fine thankfully.

IMG_1925.jpeg

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
This spans 40 years working at a phosphate mine/ chemical plant

1. welder struck an arc on drum filter that filters phosphoric acid . Hydrogen build up inside the vessel killed him instantly when the end of the filter blew off.

2. Excavator operator was cleaning out a ditch after a heavy rain and due to the overflow could not see that he was backing into part of the ditch. The excavator backed into the ditch turned over and the operator drowned by the time they could get him out.

3. loaded LP tank had been moved to storage lot away from the plant. Bushes had grown up around the tank which was just off the gravel road.
One day a fork lift and grader was coming in opposite directions , the grader went off the road to give the fork lift room to pass, his blade hit the tank igniting a flame from hell, fryed him in the seat, his hands never came off the steering wheel, the fork lift driver cloths were burnt off and he lost most of his fingers on one of his hands.

4. Glandular plant operator was cleaning build up odd a conveyor belt tail pulley while it was running , he lost his balance somehow fell thru the guard and the conveyor showed him up pretty good, he lived but is paralyzed from waist down.

5. my personal worst. We had a metal punch that was capable of punching holes in inch and a quarter metal. Pretty simple machine a die with a small hole on one side that the punch goes thru to punch out the metal, the bottom of the die has a much larger hole to let the metal expand and drop out.
I installed the die with the small hole down, the punch sheared off and came out like a bullet. Luckily for me it only got my arm an I got off with 23 stitches

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
This: fairchild afb b 52 crash - Google Search
Starts at about 1:48. The rest is stock footage of a BUFF crew doing their job. I knew the pilot who crashed the jet and killed two other senior flyers with him. Because his crew went to the squadron commander and refused to fly with the jerk anymore.

I remember reading/watching an extended report on that pilot and things that lead up to the crash.
I would be interested in your perspective on that pilot.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I remember reading/watching an extended report on that pilot and things that lead up to the crash.
I would be interested in your perspective on that pilot.
He was a showboating self centered narcissistic jerk. His crew refused to fly with him after one more stupid low pass over a mountain. He didn't plan, he didn't consult Boeing or anyone else about his airshow routine. He was a "fair haired" boy living off his association with senior officers without a modicum of aeronautical expertise. Other than that, a fine officer and aviator. w

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not sure that I would call that an accident. More of a "Devine intervention" type situation. A guy that I used to work with was an avid cyclist. He was riding around town one day years ago and a careless driver hit him. His injuries sent him to the hospital where many tests were done to make sure he was ok. A blood test revealed that he had some weird type of blood disease that he would likely have never known about until it was too late so he was able to get that treated.

And you are right, it can always be worse. Thankful that yours wasn't...

Thought YOU were having a bad day? Woman, 47, reveals she lost her home in a fire, got into a motorcycle wreck AND was diagnosed with CANCER - all within 24 hours​

• Wendy Hansen, from Mitchellville, Iowa, was running errands with her fiancé
  • The 47-year-old was alerted to a fire at home and rushed back on her motorcycle
  • She crashed and was taken to hospital where she was diagnosed with cancer

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This spans 40 years working at a phosphate mine/ chemical plant

1. welder struck an arc on drum filter that filters phosphoric acid . Hydrogen build up inside the vessel killed him instantly when the end of the filter blew off.

2. Excavator operator was cleaning out a ditch after a heavy rain and due to the overflow could not see that he was backing into part of the ditch. The excavator backed into the ditch turned over and the operator drowned by the time they could get him out.

3. loaded LP tank had been moved to storage lot away from the plant. Bushes had grown up around the tank which was just off the gravel road.
One day a fork lift and grader was coming in opposite directions , the grader went off the road to give the fork lift room to pass, his blade hit the tank igniting a flame from hell, fryed him in the seat, his hands never came off the steering wheel, the fork lift driver cloths were burnt off and he lost most of his fingers on one of his hands.

4. Glandular plant operator was cleaning build up odd a conveyor belt tail pulley while it was running , he lost his balance somehow fell thru the guard and the conveyor showed him up pretty good, he lived but is paralyzed from waist down.

5. my personal worst. We had a metal punch that was capable of punching holes in inch and a quarter metal. Pretty simple machine a die with a small hole on one side that the punch goes thru to punch out the metal, the bottom of the die has a much larger hole to let the metal expand and drop out.
I installed the die with the small hole down, the punch sheared off and came out like a bullet. Luckily for me it only got my arm an I got off with 23 stitches
You worked at PCS/Occidental?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Electrician, served time at all 4 plants and field work too.
Fab shop, mechanical maintenance , plumber
Safety came along way in my 40 years there, I could have filled up a page or two more of unfortunate accidents , like the gas explosion at pholyposh bet you saw many near misses in your department

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fab shop, mechanical maintenance , plumber
Safety came along way in my 40 years there, I could have filled up a page or two more of unfortunate accidents , like the gas explosion at pholyposh bet you saw many near misses in your department
I went out on permanent disability in 2001, I was there from 5/21/79 thru 5/7/2001.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I went out on permanent disability in 2001, I was there from 5/21/79 thru 5/7/2001.
We came in around the same time I left in 2020 so I wasn’t with the plumbers while you were there, was probably in the fab shop, I’ve got a few pictures on the fishing post here .

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Thought YOU were having a bad day? Woman, 47, reveals she lost her home in a fire, got into a motorcycle wreck AND was diagnosed with CANCER - all within 24 hours​

• Wendy Hansen, from Mitchellville, Iowa, was running errands with her fiancé
  • The 47-year-old was alerted to a fire at home and rushed back on her motorcycle
  • She crashed and was taken to hospital where she was diagnosed with cancer

@stephenPE Hey Corch! We got a damsel in distress. She needs a house, a car, and someone to mow her lawn. You think you’ve got another one in you?

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

California mom, 27, is killed after being run over by LAWNMOWER while laying down in park: Stricken family say they found 'big chunks' of her body strewn on ground afterwards​

• Christine Chavez was lying in Beard Brook Park in Modesto when she was killed
  • The grass cutter was only able to spot her body after he'd mowed her over
  • Family were disturbed to still find pieces of Chavez left behind at the scene

So many questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator