Weightlifting: Transgender lifter Laurel Hubbard wins first international outing

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that this does not make sense or seem fair unless the hormone balance is that of a woman. The extra testosterone ( extra for a woman), gives this individual a definite advantage as if anabolic steroids were used, which wouldn't be allowed.

Sexual expression and sense of self gender is one thing, but sports competition by gender group identification when the body chemistry doesn't match the requirements is another.

They need to add rules now that hormonally identify specific minimum/maximum levels ( depending on the hormone) of what will fairly define gender for this sport. This is getting a bit insane.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that this does not make sense or seem fair unless the hormone balance is that of a woman. The extra testosterone ( extra for a woman), gives this individual a definite advantage as if anabolic steroids were used, which wouldn't be allowed.

Sexual expression and sense of self gender is one thing, but sports competition by gender group identification when the body chemistry doesn't match the requirements is another.

They need to add rules now that hormonally identify specific minimum/maximum levels ( depending on the hormone) of what will fairly define gender for this sport. This is getting a bit insane.

Even if they require a test to show testosterone levels are down to what a real high level female might have it still wouldn't change the advantage the person had from having the man muscle mass in the first place. It would be like a person that has more muscle and strength but a lower testosterone level than another person. It doesn't mean they can't easily outperform them regardless.

Last edited:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Not a new debate. There was Renee Richards on the women's tennis circuit back in the late 1970's.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

We don't need any special rules. If you were born with a penis, you compete as a man. If you were born with a vagina, you compete as a woman. If we can't tell what you were born with then you sit on the sideline and watch.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Comparing Denise Richards to this is a joke, You actually need talent and some natural ability to play tennis at a high level. Weightlifting needs mostly brute strength and technique. Technique can be taught, Natural talent and ability cannot..... Male OR Female

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Comparing Denise Richards to this is a joke, You actually need talent and some natural ability to play tennis at a high level. Weightlifting needs mostly brute strength and technique. Technique can be taught, Natural talent and ability cannot..... Male OR Female

Disagree. The argument back then was just the same as it is today. Additional strength and power are an advantage on the tennis court too. Richards was a good amateur tennis player before transitioning and beginning to play on the women's circuit. So the concern was whether she would have an unfair edge over other women players based on her previous gender. She didn't just transition and decide to start playing tennis.

And yes, since Denise Richards is Charlie Sheen's ex-wife, the comparison would be a joke:)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since pc-fairness is the decider, driver, start a Transgender "League" for such lifters. They could lift rainbow colored weights.

The Geneticists should weigh in listing all the different male functions of so many gene-expressions that stay male 'cause evolution allows them no change. Regardless of the supposed "transforming hormones" running by these Destiny cells, they retain the ability to only express as male genes-dammit!

I wish Swonkey could personally console each of the real female losers.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Disagree. The argument back then was just the same as it is today. Additional strength and power are an advantage on the tennis court too. Richards was a good amateur tennis player before transitioning and beginning to play on the women's circuit. So the concern was whether she would have an unfair edge over other women players based on her previous gender. She didn't just transition and decide to start playing tennis.

And yes, since Denise Richards is Charlie Sheen's ex-wife, the comparison would be a joke:)

Whoops... Blame it on the rum :)

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I actually met him....err...her....err...."Denise" many years ago. He/she was an ophthalmologist in NYC and I called on his/her office when I was working with a guy up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator