Welcome new UF Basketball Coach Michael White

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n220467 said:
Was White my first choice. No. But, I'm not trashing the hire. I think it's a solid hire.

Time will tell

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220463 said:
My 50% comment was geared more at their accomplishments vs pay. I guess that's my bad.

Since you think they'd garner the same pay...what would you rather pay for? 3 NITs or 2 NCAA's - one ELITE eight?

I agree there is no way White could get what Miller could right now pay wise.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n220185 said:
Time will tell about this hire, all the things i've read on him have been positive but it's a little upsetting we didn't even speak to Miller or Mack. And for all the $$$ people I'm pretty sure Bama Miss St Tennessee and Auburn have us beat in that, but if it's the right hire then in time he'll be getting paid what they are.

I wanna see how he recruits though.
Problem is, you eventually have to pay for it. Going deep in debt at the top of a market is not a good strategic move.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220517 said:
Jeff GoodmanVerified account‏@GoodmanESPN
Jeremy Foley never reached out to Archie Miller or Chris Mack. Mike White was his guy all along.

What I believed to be the case, which leads me to say this. Foley may have found another diamond in the rough in White, but there's a bigger point. Foley once again treated a major hire like it was his personal toy, thus ducking his fiduciary responsibility. You can argue all day long that White was the correct hire, and he might be, but Foley's first responsibility to the university was to fully vette the field. He didn't do it. It'd be like me, as an investment professional, making a gut call after an hour with a new client that he should invest his entire retirement savings in a single hot stock. That's not how it should work IMO.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n220520]

What I believed to be the case, which leads me to say this. Foley may have found another diamond in the rough in White, but there's a bigger point. Foley once again treated a major hire like it was his personal toy, thus ducking his fiduciary responsibility. You can argue all day long that White was the correct hire, and he might be, but Foley's first responsibility to the university was to fully vette the field. He didn't do it. It'd be like me, as an investment professional, making a gut call after an hour with a new client that he should invest his entire retirement savings in a single hot stock. That's not how it should work IMO.[/QUOTE]

Post of the day

+10000000

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still waiting to see what ox says

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
The "bigger point" is the same thing said in a different way. This isn't who you wanted and you think Foley is stupid. Rinse, repeat.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n220529 said:
The "bigger point" is the same thing said in a different way. This isn't who you wanted and you think Foley is stupid. Rinse, repeat.

Wrong on both counts.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Could be, but you can understand why it seems that way.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I like what '78 had to say. I'm sure Foley did his background checks on several coaches, but Foley seems like the type to put all his eggs in one basket. Even if this was his man from the get go, why not reach out to other coaches?

Now that basketball is hired, Foley can focus on hiring the new gymnastics coach. He's taking a lot longer on that front.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n220521 said:
Originally posted by '78 View Post

What I believed to be the case, which leads me to say this. Foley may have found another diamond in the rough in White, but there's a bigger point. Foley once again treated a major hire like it was his personal toy, thus ducking his fiduciary responsibility. You can argue all day long that White was the correct hire, and he might be, but Foley's first responsibility to the university was to fully vette the field. He didn't do it. It'd be like me, as an investment professional, making a gut call after an hour with a new client that he should invest his entire retirement savings in a single hot stock. That's not how it should work IMO.

And what objective evidence do you have that he did not investigate other alternatives. After all they have been working on this for several weeks and could have talked with back channels about possibilities. On the surface this looks like a good hire, I have no idea of the process but I bet there was one. Not just his personal pick although as chief in charge he does make the decision and it responsible for it's success or failure no matter the process or input.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Originally posted by '78 View Post

Okay, he dialed Allied Van Lines in between.

Wobbs posted
This trolling is weak 78. Step it up.

IDK, I thought the Alied Van Line was very moving.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n220545 said:
Even if this was his man from the get go, why not reach out to other coaches?

Because it would be a waste of time and money.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n220547 said:
And what objective evidence do you have that he did not investigate other alternatives. After all they have been working on this for several weeks and could have talked with back channels about possibilities. On the surface this looks like a good hire, I have no idea of the process but I bet there was one. Not just his personal pick although as chief in charge he does make the decision and it responsible for it's success or failure no matter the process or input.

Jeff GoodmanVerified account‏@GoodmanESPN
Jeremy Foley never reached out to Archie Miller or Chris Mack. Mike White was his guy all along.

Also, it looks like Mack(I think) just rounded out his staff. Coincidentally, the day after we hired a coach. Was he waiting to see if he'd be contacted? Who knows?

But the probability is that Foley focused in on one guy, his guy and hired him. You're saying crap that we can't prove even though there is actual proof he didn't conduct a search.

One candidate, one hire. Why is that hard to believe?

Dec 10, 2014
WobbleGator;n220552 said:

And it would be akin to playing games, and having multiple targets would probably turn a coach off, and it could lead to people rejecting us before we even made offers leading to other targets backing off.

Now we are on to bashing Foley for making a great hire but not belaboring the process :rolleyes:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another point that's lost in the translation. Foley can be thorough and analytical in his thinking unattached from the subject. Get him on the phone or in person with the subject and he's like you and me, he can be wooed by the right personality. Muschamp did it over four to six hours in 2010 and White did it a couple days ago. That doesn't make White a bad hire. What it makes for is an incomplete process. Foley owed it to the university and himself to get on the phone or in person with more than one candidate. THEN if he still felt Michael White was the guy, go for it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n220552 said:

Oh, so now we're likening Jeremy to Nostradamus? Got it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This may be the only candidate with a face to face, but we do not know how many candidates that Foley (or his office) contacted their representatives to guage interest in the job. There is a lot of information we do not know, as of yet to bemoan the process.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n220562 said:
And it would be akin to playing games, and having multiple targets would probably turn a coach off, and it could lead to people rejecting us before we even made offers leading to other targets backing off.

Now we are on to bashing Foley for making a great hire but not belaboring the process :rolleyes:

Very unlawyer of a lawyer to oversimplify a situation rather than the reverse. Ever heard of the law of large numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator