What if Spurrier never left? (Buddy Martin story)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good Buddy Martin story on Spurrier and Foley. What would have happened if Spurrier stayed at UF?

Florida AD: Steve Spurrier is ‘our Bear Bryant’

https://gridironnow.com/steve-spurrier-floridas-bear-bryant/

Imagine a Florida football coach having won 10 SEC titles, three or four national championships and maybe more conference games than even Bear Bryant.

It could have happened. All Steve Spurrier had to do was stay home for 10 more seasons.

Spurrier prompted a lot of “what if?” scenarios recently when he revealed on the “Paul Finebaum Show” on SEC Network last week that he wished now he hadn’t left Florida after the 2001 season.

“He’s our Bear Bryant, our Bud Wilkinson (Oklahoma),” Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley told me. “He’s the guy who got it going, and we became one of the top programs in the country. Call it like it is: Our entire culture was changed. He valued every sport. He valued winners. And we all had a lot of fun.”

Spurrier had been at Florida 12 seasons, winning six SEC championships (that he could count — and one that he couldn’t) and one national title. But a few months before his 56th birthday, a few days after the end of the 2001 season, he signed on with the Washington Redskins to take shot at the NFL. And in doing so, he hit the Daniel Snyder lottery — a fat signing bonus and a five-year, $25 million contract. More money that any coach — ever. Who among us would not have?

“I don’t remember the exact conversation,” Foley said from California as he was boarding a flight to return to Gainesville, trying to recall that dark day for Gators fans. “But I remember that Friday after the Orange Bowl he called me and said, ’12 years is enough; I want to try something different.’ ”

It rocked Gator nation.

Aside from money and the lure of the NFL, Spurrier had the lingering feeling that there was almost a danger of wearing out his welcome at Florida. Having watched his Presbyterian preacher father move quite often because “he said people got tired of his sermons,” Spurrier decided to move on and try his hand in the NFL.

So did Foley try to talk Spurrier out of it?

“I’m sure I said something like, ‘Are you sure you want to do that?’ ” Foley said. “But you know how Steve is. Once he made up his mind, he’s made up his mind. You aren’t going to talk him out of it.”

BY THE NUMBERS
But there will be no pity party for Jeremy Foley, Gators fans or even Spurrier. Life since 2001 hasn’t been so shabby in Gainesville — or in Columbia, either. Spurrier became South Carolina’s all-time winningest coach. And a guy named Urban Meyer picked up in 2005 and added two more national championship trophies, plus two SEC titles, to the case in the Heavener Football Complex. And expectations are on the rise with Jim McElwain.

But what if Spurrier had stayed through 2011?

“Look at the track record,” Foley said. “You can’t go back and gaze into a crystal ball going forward. What he did in 12 years was spectacular. I’m not saying he would have won the title every year. But we’d have been in the hunt and we’d have won a couple more. We would have chucked it all over the place and had a lot of fun.”

Do the math: Based on past performance and metrics, Spurrier likely would have won 100 more games overall and 70 to 75 more in the SEC. Had he coached through age 66, he probably would have posted more SEC wins than Bear Bryant’s record 159. Given that Spurrier won one national championship and played for another in 12 years, odds are that he’d had at crack at least one or two more.

“His last year, we were right in there and we lost to one of the best teams in the country, Tennessee,” Foley said. “He won the Orange Bowl. He had Rex Grossman coming back. And we were going to continue on the track he set us on.”

As for the rumor about Spurrier having a run-in with Foley or getting mad for being told how to manage his staff being the reason he left, “that just never happened,” Foley said. Both men say that it didn’t.

What did happen the day after an Orange Bowl win over Maryland in January 2002 was that Spurrier called Foley, told him of his intentions and met with his AD that next night in Crescent Beach.

“It was a stunning day for all of us,” Foley remembered.

Foley drove to Crescent Beach and brought along a bottle of Dom Perignon. They sat there on the beach, toasting their success together — a more-than-amicable parting. They remain friends today. And a strong relationship exists between Florida and its first Heisman Trophy winner and first national championship-winning coach, whose bronze likeness can be seen out front of the stadium he nicknamed “The Swamp.”

“Steve meant the world to the University for Florida and he meant the world to me personally,” Foley said. “Obviously I was blessed to be a part of that ride. It was the time of my life.”

WHAT’S NEXT?
Although Spurrier hasn’t made up his mind what he wants to do next, there are a couple of hints that he might somehow be associated with the Gators in a way other than a bronze statue, but nothing yet in concrete. I asked Foley if rehiring Spurrier in some role was possible.

“Maybe when that opportunity presents itself — yes, there is,” Foley said. “But Steve has a relationship with South Carolina right now. If there was an opportunity to have him around, that’s something we would hop on.”

If Spurrier chose to return to his alma mater in some capacity, it wouldn’t be as a hand-shaker or back-slapper. It would have to be something more directly connected to the game of football. A consultant to McElwain, maybe? A member of the broadcast team? Or both?

This being the 20th anniversary of Spurrier’s national championship Florida team, perhaps it is the perfect time to announce that Steve Spurrier is coming home to Gainesville. And while they’re at it, officials could change the name of Florida Field to Steve Spurrier Field. Or maybe even call it Spurrier-Griffin Stadium, as in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The Head Ball Coach legacy certainly warrants a lot more than a piece of bronze at The House Spurrier Built.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
he Head Ball Coach legacy certainly warrants a lot more than a piece of bronze at The House Spurrier Built.
I totally agree with this last line. But as of now, in many minds nationally, Steve Spurrier is more closely identified with South Carolina than with UF. And there is a generation of young Gators who know Spurrier as much more of a 'Cock than a Gator. After all, he spent most of the past decade coaching against us. So for me to embrace Spurrier once more as a Gator, he first needs to come home. He must shed the Red and Black and start wearing Orange and Blue once again, bringing smiles once more to Gator Nation.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As for the rumor about Spurrier having a run-in with Foley or getting mad for being told how to manage his staff being the reason he left, “that just never happened,” Foley said. Both men say that it didn’t.

Clearly this article is not accurate. I have read many times on this message board that Foley is the reason Spurrier left, therefore the above quote from the article must be false.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
What about when Steve was in position to come back and he was told they would have to do the interview process. If that was true, that was screwed up. Like it was said, his resume was in the trophy case...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I totally agree with this last line. But as of now, in many minds nationally, Steve Spurrier is more closely identified with South Carolina than with UF. And there is a generation of young Gators who know Spurrier as much more of a 'Cock than a Gator. After all, he spent most of the past decade coaching against us. So for me to embrace Spurrier once more as a Gator, he first needs to come home. He must shed the Red and Black and start wearing Orange and Blue once again, bringing smiles once more to Gator Nation.
Baloney

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Baloney squared. He is welcomed back with open arms at ANY time. He is Florida Football.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What about when Steve was in position to come back and he was told they would have to do the interview process. If that was true, that was screwed up. Like it was said, his resume was in the trophy case...
Yeah, I think all those rumors are just that...rumors. SOS has always had a fascination with doing things that haven't been done before. I don't think he ever entertained the idea of coming back to be the HC at UF, although he has said he regretted ever leaving. What's done was done and he found an opportunity to try and set some new records at SC after his failed attempt in the NFL. I don't blame him for anything, as the money and opportunity were too great to pass up. I just appreciate the MANY great memories he brought to us while he was here. While neither is without faults, he and Foley totally changed the culture of the entire athletic department during the 90s and will go down as two of the greatest Gators of all time.
:chomp:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say his relationship with USCe may be short lived with the new asshat they have as a head case, I mean coach.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
So you actually believe there's a chance in hell he'd come back wearing red & black?

:facepalm:

Since he resigned as coach at USCe, I have not heard or read any comments from SOS about any desire to do anything at or for UF in an official capacity. Maybe I missed it. On the other hand, he did state that he would serve as sort of an "ambassador" for SC athletics. I am not anti-Spurrier. I hope he does return to UF in an official capacity and do it soon. At this point, all I am saying is that the ball is in his court.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since he resigned as coach at USCe, I have not heard or read any comments from SOS about any desire to do anything at or for UF in an official capacity. Maybe I missed it. On the other hand, he did state that he would serve as sort of an "ambassador" for SC athletics. I am not anti-Spurrier. I hope he does return to UF in an official capacity and do it soon. At this point, all I am saying is that the ball is in his court.

He is still under contract to be an ambassador of USCe, part of the "retirement" buy out... also allows him to get Free Golf.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Miscommunication then. He obviously would abide by contractual obligations, he's just that sincere & that kind of man. Let there be no doubt about where his allegiance rests however, he often states "once a Gator, always a Gator".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Miscommunication then. He obviously would abide by contractual obligations, he's just that sincere & that kind of man. Let there be no doubt about where his allegiance rests however, he often states "once a Gator, always a Gator".

SOS is and always will be a Gator First. He won't fly USCe colors when with UF. Like you said his heart is always in the O&B.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

SOS did visit a Florida spring practice. Who knows... maybe he gave his stamp of approval on Trask wearing no. 11.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier didn't want any part of a 5 year contractual buy out from Carolina which he could have made them pay by getting fired. They are paying him $200k a year to be an "ambassador" for them as a substitute probably for his generosity.

He wants to be involved with a football team, even if it is high school as he loves the camaraderie. Hopefully Mac can get creative, but it would be a delicate situation IMO.

I doubt he needs the money. Also, his entire family is in the Columbia area except for one daughter in Panama City.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier didn't want any part of a 5 year contractual buy out from Carolina which he could have made them pay by getting fired. They are paying him $200k a year to be an "ambassador" for them as a substitute probably for his generosity.

He wants to be involved with a football team, even if it is high school as he loves the camaraderie. Hopefully Mac can get creative, but it would be a delicate situation IMO.

I doubt he needs the money. Also, his entire family is in the Columbia area except for one daughter in Panama City.

Don't forget the free golf at Augusta and other peaks he got to keep... I bet that was worth more than the 200k to him. I can't remember if he got to keep that aspect regardless.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

His net worth is over $15 million.....I heard he lights his cigars with hundred dollar bills!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator