What needs to change

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Recruiting. Plain and simple. We need an influx of talent imo to get us to take the next step. Three stars can definitely contribute and add great depth, but the 5 stars are rated that highly for a reason. 5 stars especially on offense, are the ones who are difference makers, that's not to say the three stars can't be difference makers, but a much a higher percentage of 5 stars will turn out to be true playmakers that can turn the game around with one play.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes we need better recruits and for sure a capable QB who can hit some wide open WRs. We also need an OC with imagination and isn't afraid to mix up the play calls. We can get this done. 10 wins a year is very attainable again.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You could see many times against Bama the huge talent disparity. The last time I saw us having players besides mostly just CBs making crazy athletic plays all over the field like that was back in 2009. The defense in 2012 also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
10 wins a year is very attainable again.
You know, back before the 90s ten wins used to be a great year. However with all the two additional geographical school cupcake games everyone has added, ten wins means four losses. That is an ok season, I guess, but it is more akin to a 7-4 season of days gone by. Ok but nothing to write home about.

Just stating 10 wins, bc 10 wins used to be a good year, is deceptive IMO.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting. Plain and simple. We need an influx of talent imo to get us to take the next step. Three stars can definitely contribute and add great depth, but the 5 stars are rated that highly for a reason. 5 stars especially on offense, are the ones who are difference makers, that's not to say the three stars can't be difference makers, but a much a higher percentage of 5 stars will turn out to be true playmakers that can turn the game around with one play.
Pretty good insight here. Not sure anyone has ever brought up our recruiting problems before.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty good insight here. Not sure anyone has ever brought up our recruiting problems before.
And yet, there are still people who think he is recruiting well.

Or that he is the 3 star Whisperer in addition to being the QB Whisperer.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Like Mac, I'm just glad to be here!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What needs to change:

1. The coaching needs to improve. I promise you that with Spurrier as head coach this team would have a credible offense. There is plenty of talent for that. They just need to be coached and held accountable.

2. The coaching needs to improve. Accountability on the field is a huge issue with this team. The best offensive player had an indifferent season. Callaway seemed to coast through this season missing that pass at FSU, dropping a surprising number of passes etc. When a defense that was not on the field that much has an opponent backed up on their 2 yard line, they need to stop them Going for it on 4th and goal is predicated on having a defense that gives you a short field again quickly if you do not make it. This defense did not hold up their end of the deal much of this year. I would excuse it to injury, but in fact some of the time, they did hold up their end even after the injuries piled up.

3. The coaching needs to improve. Part of the lack of stats for this team is that this staff fails to get this team ready to play against the small guys. There is no excuse for leading UMass 10 to 7 at the start of the 4th quarter. There is no excuse for only leading UNT by 19 at the start of the 4th quarter. That is how you get your QB injured and how you fail to get backups you may need later as injuries mount experience. Also when one of the small guys you don't come out ready to play is a middling SEC team like UAR, you get a loss hung on you.

4. The coaching needs to improve. Oddly when some players get hurt someone who performed better sometimes came in. You need to find your best players and play them. Sure a close call can go to the upperclass player, if they are doing the job and you are winning. Still this staff almost seems to be going with a seniority system rather than making tough choices.

5. The coaching needs to improve. The pass-run-pass patern of play calling needs to end. Huge busts in pass coverage needs to stop. Averages don't matter if you are giving up huge scoring plays against at UTn in the second half and at UAR. This too is an accountability issue. This staff needs to come up with sound game plans every week and hold the players accountable for executing them. This staff needs to dare to beat Vandy, etc rather than just try to get a lead and hold on.

6. The coaching needs to improve. In the most important game of the year, you CAN NOT have two special teams breakdowns. You can not get a punt blocked and you can not botch a fake punt. This too is a matter of attention to detail and accountability.

7. The coacing needs to improve. This staff has now had two years to identify a QB who can play and stay out of trouble and eligible. If Del Rio is not that guy, don't take him. If Appleby is not that guy, don't take him. If Franks brings nothing more than stealing a player from LSU, don't take him. If Trask is a project and you reasonably will have a QB by the time he is ready, don't take him. I don't know which of these QBs this staff should not have taken other than Del Rio who they had to know his limitations, but this staff needs to identify a QB, coach him up, and trust him. If the pick six in the SEC championship game was on Callaway not Appleby then this is more of the accountability issue for other players. After two years, this staff should have the QB situation better established than this, especially a staff that can win with their dog at QB.

I follow recruiting some, but less than years ago when I followed it very carefully. A big program like UF will always have players, particularly WRs. The issue to me is coaching and good coaching will cause recruiting to take care of itself and bad coaching can not be solved with good recruiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator