When to sell a collectible that has significantly increased in value?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice return there!

Why did you sell to a dealer vs. trying to find a private buyer? What do you think the dealer will try to get for the lot?
Shocked Pawn Stars GIF by DefyTV

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice return there!

Why did you sell to a dealer vs. trying to find a private buyer? What do you think the dealer will try to get for the lot?

Time and effort really.

Typically, someone who would be interested in buying something like this would rather find their own pieces one at a time. So finding a buyer to buy the whole lot would be tough.

If you or I would go into the open market and buy these one at a time, it would cost you about $35,000. I could probably get that on Ebay doing one coin at a time. But then ebay takes 10%. Paypal then takes 3% to transfer the money. Plus roughly $10 a coin to ship. And ebay now automatically reports the sales to the IRS for capital gains. All that would bring it $25,000 anyway. So I knew in my head that was my number to get.

Additionally, these dealers set a price on all these pieces and they get the price in a catalog that ships every month. I signed up, got the catalog, priced it out…. And so I also knew that way it should be $25,000 for a dealer to buy.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just don't tell Brad that silver is going to $60 an oz next week,,,,,:lol2: rs_500x300-151120100551-giphy_1.gif

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The coins I sold dont really fluctuate with the price of silver.

I have plenty of bullion for that. :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator