When's the Last Time We Were Underdogs to Ole Miss?

Seka

Apr 19, 2015
gardnerwebbgator;n289398 said:
554448d7f9c5b3f6f7d125e3f830c70e1116608397.png

Garbage. Not a one sports a 44DD, fake or not...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wonder how big of a role the flu symptoms are playing this game. I don't how much it affected practice.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To quote Admiral Ackbar, who as you recall almost became Ole Miss's mascot in 2010 when Johnny Reb was booted out...

Atrapitis.gif

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We never have played them much. Back when the SEC only had 10 teams, they were not one of our five "permanent" opponents, so home-and-aways rotated among the other four teams (5 permanent, 1 rotating). We lost to them my freshman year, 1973, at home, on the famous UF QB David Bowden throwing it OB to stop the clock on 4th down play. With a week off, the most important thing to come out of that was Dickey starting Don Gaffney at QB against AU two weeks later. Gaffney was the first black QB @ UF, and he led us to the miracle win on the Plains (we have never beaten AU at AU prior to that) and the "November to Remember." Since we didn't play Ole Miss in '74, we must've played them at their place in '72.

When was the next time we played them? Sometime in the 80s. I know that they are the last team of any type (SEC, decent non-conf, or chump) to beat us in a home opener, and that was 1989 (yes, for some reason we opened with an SEC team that year).

So given all of that history, or lack thereof, who knows the last time they were favored over UF? Did we even play them when Archie Manning was QB? I know we lost to Eli in 2003 (I was there) at home - but were they favored in that one? Who knows? Maybe the answer is never?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n289305 said:
That may have been the last time they were favored. Should be the same results this time with the dog stomping the favorite.

Wow, I was just 9 in 1964, and we were still living in NJ. I wasn't following football, just baseball. In my 43 seasons of being a Gator, like I posted above, I not only can't remember too many games against them, I can't think of a single time that they might have been favored.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n289623 said:
We never have played them much. Back when the SEC only had 10 teams, they were not one of our five "permanent" opponents, so home-and-aways rotated among the other four teams (5 permanent, 1 rotating). We lost to them my freshman year, 1973, at home, on the famous UF QB David Bowden throwing it OB to stop the clock on 4th down play. With a week off, the most important thing to come out of that was Dickey starting Don Gaffney at QB against AU two weeks later. Gaffney was the first black QB @ UF, and he led us to the miracle win on the Plains (we have never beaten AU at AU prior to that) and the "November to Remember." Since we didn't play Ole Miss in '74, we must've played them at their place in '72.

When was the next time we played them? Sometime in the 80s. I know that they are the last team of any type (SEC, decent non-conf, or chump) to beat us in a home opener, and that was 1989 (yes, for some reason we opened with an SEC team that year).

So given all of that history, or lack thereof, who knows the last time they were favored over UF? Did we even play them when Archie Manning was QB? I know we lost to Eli in 2003 (I was there) at home - but were they favored in that one? Who knows? Maybe the answer is never?

Their big upset over us was in 2002 I think as we were one of the top ranked teams in the country and they went on to lose 5 of their next 6 games after the upset. We had a bunch of picks in that game I think. I doubt they were favored in 03 as they had already lost to some questionable competition.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n289545 said:
Wonder how big of a role the flu symptoms are playing this game. I don't how much it affected practice.

Coach Mac said it has run it's course.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure it's changed a lot but the one visit I paid to Oxford, in 1981 covering the UF basketball team, revealed a small campus with a very distinct Southern proper flavor. A bunch of us walked in a campus bar the night before and all eyes were on us, almost as if they knew we weren't family. The women were typical Deep South, beautiful and friendly.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n289844]I'm sure it's changed a lot but the one visit I paid to Oxford, in 1981 covering the UF basketball team, revealed a small campus with a very distinct Southern proper flavor. A bunch of us walked in a campus bar the night before and all eyes were on us, almost as if they knew we weren't family. The women were typical Deep South, beautiful and friendly. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, took a road trip there when I was in school. Me and 4 buddies decided to go to the game during a Friday night happy hour (that demon alcohol) and drove through the night to make it for a noon kickoff. We drove an old Duster and had nothing with us but some gas money and two large bottles of Canadian Club. Needless to say we did not fit in with the genteel southern gentlemen at Ole Miss. We were drunk and obnoxious and probably smelled bad. I thought The Grove at that time was way overrated. Girls were gorgeous and found us "amusing" but definitely not much more than that. Boring game. We won 15-0 I think. 5 field goals. We did however go down onto the field and sing "We are the Boys" with the cheerleaders and Albert. Long drive back home hung over. Stopped in a hardware store parking lot to catch a nap in the middle of the night and woke up with some guy trying to crow bar open our trunk. Scared the bejesus out of him when we came poring out of the car.

All and all a fairly normal run of the mill road trip.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The last time Hugh Freeze faced Geoff Collins, he rang 500 yards of offense and enough missed tackles and busted coverages that Dan Mullen went apeshiit on Collins on national TV.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again today and that he learned a few lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator