Which freshman redshirt?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think there's no question Franks redshirts. Is there any reason for any of the OL's not to redshirt?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/identifying-gators-redshirt-candidates-2016/

Jim McElwain signed 25 recruits in his second class at Florida. In some areas, the freshmen and junior college transfers will be asked to make an immediate contribution, but some newcomers will redshirt.

Here are the signees most likely to sit out the 2016 campaign. Obviously, any name on this list could climb up the depth chart in fall camp and earn playing time, but the numbers suggest these signees are the most likely to wait a year.

Three-star RB Lamical Perine (5-foot-11, 210 pounds)

Florida looks to be going with a committee approach at running back for 2016. As the biggest back on the team, junior college transfer Mark Thompson (6-foot-2, 242 pounds) will be the go-to guy in short-yardage situations. Sophomore Jordan Cronkrite provides the most versatility and appears to be the best pass-catcher. That’s two spots on the committee filled.

Judging by recruiting rankings and experience, the No. 3 spot should go Jordan Scarlett, a former four-star recruit entering his sophomore season. Unless Perine can steal Scarlett’s spot, delaying the start of his freshman season makes more sense than trying to work him in as the No. 4 ball-carrier.

Four-star QB Feleipe Franks (6-foot-6, 216 pounds) OR three-star QB Kyle Trask (6-foot-4, 227 pounds)
On Florida’s quarterbacks depth chart, Luke Del Rio, who was with the team in 2015 but sat out as a transfer, looks to be the clubhouse leader while graduate transfer Austin Appleby is the likely backup. That leaves freshmen Franks and Trask battling for No. 3.

In the spring game, Trask looked more advanced mechanically and displayed fewer bad habits than Franks, who had a three-pick night. But it is just one spring game. Almost everyone who writes about Florida football, including yours truly, came to the conclusion Trask would be No. 3 and Franks would redshirt for 2016. Perhaps we should not completely write off Franks before fall camp.

Giving one quarterback some mop-up duty reps and redshirting the other makes a lot of sense for the present and the future. It looks more likely that Franks will be the one to redshirt, but a lot can happen between April and September.

Three-star WR Rick Wells (6-foot, 185 pounds)
From a numbers standpoint, wide receiver is one of Florida’s deepest positions. The five remaining signees from the previous staff will all be upperclassmen, and McElwain has added seven receivers in two recruiting classes.

Wells might not necessarily be No. 12 on the depth chart, but he’s at a definite disadvantage for seeing the field this fall. Three of the five receivers signed in the 2016 class were early enrollees and participated in spring practice, meaning only Wells and marquee signee Tyrie Cleveland will be playing catchup in the fall.

Cleveland will definitely get playing time in 2016. The same cannot be said for Wells.

Four-star WDE Jordan Smith (6-foot-5, 238 pounds) and three-star SDE Jachai Polite (6-foot-3, 250 pounds)
Even with the departures of starters Jonathan Bullard and Alex McCalister, UF returns a deep defensive line for 2016. By signing three defensive linemen in 2016, that brings the unit’s numbers up to 16 for the fall. Similar to wide receiver, this is another position group where a high-rated signee, in this case DE Antonneous Clayton, will probably get some playing time as a true freshman. The numbers make it unlikely Smith or Polite crack the two-deep rotation as true freshmen, and they could be valuable for depth down the line.

Three-star OT Stone Forsythe (6-foot-7, 314 pounds) and three-star OG Jawaan Taylor (6-foot-5, 330 pounds)
As the Gators demonstrated in 2015, when you have to play true freshmen on the line in the SEC, you’re in trouble. Florida’s 2016 offensive line class was only three linemen: center Brett Heggie, Forsythe and Taylor. Heggie may get in a few snaps due to lack of depth at center, but redshirting Forsythe and Taylor this fall would benefit long-term depth.

All recruiting rankings referenced are 247Sports composite

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
We definitely need to redshirt polite unless the dudes an absolute freak in camp. He's around 250lb and 6-4ish a year of redshirting would hopefully add some weight and muscle. Moon needs to redshirt too for the same reasons.
On a side note, does anyone see thomas holley contributing at all the rest of his career here?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We definitely need to redshirt polite unless the dudes an absolute freak in camp. He's around 250lb and 6-4ish a year of redshirting would hopefully add some weight and muscle. Moon needs to redshirt too for the same reasons.
On a side note, does anyone see thomas holley contributing at all the rest of his career here?

No one knows about Holley....but it doesn't look promising. It would be nice if he could get a dozen or so snaps per game. He's a great athlete.

I agree on Polite. At his size, he's not needed this season. If he puts on 15-30lbs he can fill the Bullard role (that he played last year), moving inside and out.

Reese is likely the only freshman LB that will play, so I agree w/ you on Moon.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A better question is which ones don't.

I'd say Forsythe, Cleveland, Hammonds, Gardner, Moon

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Moon looks like he weighs185 soaking wet

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You know as well as I do that Anzalone won't make the year.
True. I guess we better hope the Miami kid that almost flipped to Alabama recovers from that acl injury. I can't remember his name, Nick Saban couldn't either .

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
True. I guess we better hope the Miami kid that almost flipped to Alabama recovers from that acl injury. I can't remember his name, Nick Saban couldn't either .
:lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't think any LBer should get shirted.....let em cut their teeth on special teams while staying involved and getting a few back up reps in case of emergency.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Joseph

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is the LB from the 2015 cycle in play at all?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I imagine Reese, Massey, Swain and Pineiro (obviously) will not redshirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator