Why no Appleby talk? (with a poll!)

Who should start next week versus South Carolina?

• Del Rio

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Appleby

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Trask

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Franks

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • BirmingHAM SAMMICH IV

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we know both Del Rio and Appleby aren't very good, but Appleby looked better IMO. The only reason I would hesitate to play one of the true freshmen is because of who they're surrounded by...terrible OL, musical chairs at RB and marginal WRs. Could shatter their confidence for life.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
or somewhere in reachable proximity to the receiver?

g8torfan

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
Looks like Muschamp finally learned to not ride a failing QB all season. Mac needs to learn that too, or his fate will end like Champ's did.
I'm already tired of CJM's "Good ol Montana Boy" crap anyway.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't start AA due to there being no reason for him to do so. We need the experience that will be here after the season is over. With that said I voted Trask. Keep Franks' redshirt seems to make the most sense. It couldn't be any worse than what we've seen. And who knows, there's freshmen playing all over and it will benefit UF to get the young guys some experience.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Greetings from Baja.

Personally I think the idea of "saving" a redshirt for a UF QB is beyond stupid. Anybody playing that position shouldn't be worried about spending five years with the program. We should always be competitive for a guy who has at least the shot of going pro. If you're not that good then you should be thinking that next year or the year after a kid who IS that good will be showing up to take your spot.

Bottom line is we aren't winning any championships this year, period
That disqualifies Appleby. LDR isn't healthy and even when he is healthy he isn't big or strong or fast or smart enough to do the job. So fer chrissakes get Trask or Franks some reps and see what happens. At bare minimum you send the message to the team that if you play like ass you ride the pine.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like all the talk is either about why Del Rio sucks or how Trask and Franks have unlimited/limited potential. What about Appleby? He had a great first half versus Tennessee, and admittedly sucked in the 2nd half and all of the Vandy game. Why not put him next week and see if he has improved? It's not like we have much to lose.
Everybody talking about putting Trask or Franks in this year is wasting breath. Mac is NOT going to burn either redshirt at this stage. I'll be surprised if he starts Appleby, but shocked if he hands over the reins to a true freshman quarterback right now. All that starting Trask or Franks is going to accomplish is seeing more struggle against superior competition (ironically, Presby would probably have been the best game to start Trask/Franks if Mac was so inclined). Appleby at least has experience and enough knowledge of our playbook.
So in conclusion, I have very little faith in Del Rio, but I am faithful that Appleby should start and could improve our offense this year (I wouldn't say the same for our true freshman QBs). I do look forward to the Franks/Trask competition, but not this year.

Name and town if you wish to opine . . .
Applebee is worse than Del Rio. Go w Trask and leave Frsnks alone till next year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Start LDR
Sprinkle some AA in towards the end of Q1 and see what he can do
ride whichever is better thru Q2
Sprinkle some Trask in Q3
ride whichever is best thru Q2 and Q3, but give Trask another series somewhere even if he's not the hot hand.

Net effect:
LDR - gets his sr night start if he's benched after this season, provides stability to start the game
AA - provides competition for LDR and an honest evaluation of which can function for the balance of the season
Trask - gets some live fire experience, is not asked to win the world, becomes serviceable for next year, shows where he is at in development so fans can stfu
Franks - preserves the red shirt to prepare for next year.

====

Next year either LDR evolves to the next level of QB, or we see Trask or Franks takes QB1. Allen red shirts next year, and we're functioning with the best we can of LDR/Trask/Franks. Not looking good.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is losing a full year of eligibility worth 3 games in a lost season?

I would just ride out Appleby, to keep the redshirt on these kids for right now. So that way they can battle for the starting position next year. It's not like 2014, where we all knew Harris was just a guy.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Look I get it that we need a change at QB and LDR is not the future. However we still have a really good chance of going to ATL and let's be honest we don't have a QB on this roster that can come in there and bring us up and down the field like we need. Therefore why bring in a one and done and why burn a red-shirt? To quote the Captain from Cool Hand Luke:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it would be smatrest to play trask because theres no tape on him. anywhere

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Even running a stupid zone read offense with AA would be better than the crap out on the field now. I might even dislike my own post.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see the point of starting Appleby...

1. He isn't that good.
2. The key to starting one of the freshman is getting them experience. Giving either Trask or Franks game experience prior to next year is more valuable than a redshirt. The key is starting them this week! I don't want to start the guy on the road against LSU or FSU. Give the guy a start against USC at home so he is better prepared to play @LSU or @FSU.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...Therefore why bring in a one and done and why burn a red-shirt?

You're basically conceding the season if you lobby for more of the same. I think we all see the writing on the wall. This offense is NOT going to get any better. Every week I hope, I pray, that THIS is a week we see progress. EVERY week I'm disappointed.... Actually disgusted is a better term...

Four quick thoughts:

(1) We clearly know what we have with LDR. Weak arm, questionable decision making, no run threat, Utterly predictable and thereby, easy to defend offense

(2) Using the one and done AA at least provides some unpredictability, as he is a decent run threat. (Whether or not the coaches capitalize on that is another matter)

(3) It wouldn't be the worse thing to have a year of separation between the two true frosh. If one of them provides a chance to better our play on the field then screw it, use them, ignite the fan base and give us SOMETHING...ANYTHING to be optimistic about in the offseason.

(4) Continuing to go with LDR will continue to net the same results. GatorNation has suffered enough.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
You're basically conceding the season if you lobby for more of the same. I think we all see the writing on the wall. This offense is NOT going to get any better. Every week I hope, I pray, that THIS is a week we see progress. EVERY week I'm disappointed.... Actually disgusted is a better term...

Four quick thoughts:

(1) We clearly know what we have with LDR. Weak arm, questionable decision making, no run threat, Utterly predictable and thereby, easy to defend offense

(2) Using the one and done AA at least provides some unpredictability, as he is a decent run threat. (Whether or not the coaches capitalize on that is another matter)

(3) It wouldn't be the worse thing to have a year of separation between the two true frosh. If one of them provides a chance to better our play on the field then screw it, use them, ignite the fan base and give us SOMETHING...ANYTHING to be optimistic about in the offseason.

(4) Continuing to go with LDR will continue to net the same results. GatorNation has suffered enough.

I get it I really do, but we still have a chance on winning the East with LDR. I know that chance is a lot slimmer now, but if we take care of business this week and play pissed off for how LSU treated us we win the East. I don't think AA, FF or Trask can accomplish that. I was on the LDR train and I am now on the fence with him. He has a noodle arm, makes the WRONG READ, and has a tendency to drift in the pocket right into the sack. Yes AA will give us "wheels" in the pocket and maybe play different than Vandy and bUTtchug because he has LDR on the sideline if he gets hurt, but I just don't know. LDR has a good command of the playbook and Mac likes his leadership, so to be honest I wouldn't be mad if AA or LDR starts. I just don't want to see a redshirt burnt until we are 100% out of the SECCG.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Start the guy who I'm the conductor of the train for.

Chhoooo-choooooo!!!!

(I'll see myself out)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
tgi Fridays will be out there next Saturday. I'll bring the jack daniels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator