Will Grier eligible for 2017 opener?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
While I don't wish anyone's dog to die, if true the NCAA just screwed UF again by reducing Grier's penalty to 6 games which they already ruled against while he was at UF. WTF?

Agree... it seems like we don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then it completely goes against everything the NCAA said in their first ruling on reducing his suspension.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is there a second source for this, or an actual NCAA statement of this?

Hell no...this was all started by a single tweet by a twit named Cassasas...a internet hack from Charleston.....zero foundation.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking about sending him a gift basket from GNC to help him celebrate........ :grin:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While WVU wouldn't speak in certainties, Mike Casazza of the Charleston Gazette-Mail did, reporting that Grier willbe eligible to start immediately for the 2017 season after sitting out '16 to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. Grier announced his decision to transfer from Florida in December.

again, other than Casazza, finding no other supporting evidence.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The only thing I can think of is that they are accepting the year of sitting out as part of the suspension....I hate Grier but having the suspension serve concurrently with the transfer rule sit out a year is not completely far fetched. We hate him. But I get it unfortunately. It's not a Gator thing. It's a give a kid a second chance.

Again, I think you nailed one. Whether any of us like it or not, an unbiased approach would say that serving both consecutively may be excessive, and sitting out 18 months is adequate.

No hate from my perspective. Think the kid is bit of a douche, but that obviously seems to be a learned trait from his dad. Just seems odd that the NCAA would allow this when they have been so hard when it comes to the issues before.

Actually, Magee got a sixth year. Didn't DeBose get 6? Or 7? Or 8? I know those are medical, as opposed to 'dumbass', but still, the NCAA has been kind to decisions in the past.

Agree... it seems like we don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then it completely goes against everything the NCAA said in their first ruling on reducing his suspension.

Is it? When UF, or perhaps more accurately the legal team Will's dad had on it, went to bat with the NCAA there was no give on serving the year suspension - that is still at play. The difference is he's now facing a year long sit-out due to transfer which wasn't part of the discussion before. The question WV posed is "why can't they be concurrent? If the kid sits a year for 'dumbass', should he sit an additional year for transfer?" I could see going either way on it, but it's not the same question UF posed to the NCAA.

And as others have pointed out, I'm willing to bet Foley was not going to bat for Will for multiple reasons, including tarnishing his shiny reputation for compliance by trying to get a 'dumbass' voilating player back with half the prescribed punishment. On Mac not going to bat...again, multiple reasons I would suspect, including not wanting to deal with Prima Donna syndrome and Daddy Issues, and staying in line with the AD.

++++++++++++++

For all those saying the NCAA has it out for us, I chuckle a bit because we're not that important to them. Really....how could you think we are? But let me ask a few other questions. If WG had the terms reduced and was starting for us this Fall, do you really think we'd be better off than we are right now? I don't think we'd get the recruits and transfers we did, and I don't think WG and Daddy would have survived the season without issue....and even if they did, I'm sure there would be enough Daddy Drama that Mac would have shown him the door following this season. We'd be another year behind in building a deep QB plan, and Mac's QB reputation would be damaged. I won't crown Mac a genius on this by acting with foresight.....I'll just say I believe we are better off without him. Secondly, how much ridicule would we have keeping WG? Other schools don't have much to point at about UF being 'football first' and giving players special treatment, not like we make fun of F$U, the Baylor and TN sexual issues, Ole Miss paying players. Really, you think about how there's no real mud to sling on Ricth's UGA teams...just like there isn't much to sling on UF. God forbid we bring WG back early and the first few games are hit or miss with a QB who knows he's likely losing the job 6 games in and/or WG comes in and is no better than last year (or worse, since some like Law point out his stellar stats are about 5 quarters out of 6 games).

Bottom line, NCAA doesn't hate us, but I'll endure your sense of self in the minds of others. Additionally, WG is not our problem, moving on*.

*I live in PA, work in MD, and have a lot of WV grads in my office. I will love watching WG fail, as it gives me one more way to give them sht.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, Magee got a sixth year. Didn't DeBose get 6? Or 7? Or 8? I know those are medical, as opposed to 'dumbass', but still, the NCAA has been kind to decisions in the past.

My statement is just due to PED cases the last two decades, they have been super strict. In the medical issues department they have been very kind, especially for Gators... (include Driskel in the list).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My statement is just due to PED cases the last two decades, they have been super strict. In the medical issues department they have been very kind, especially for Gators... (include Driskel in the list).

I'll concede, the PEDs probably warrant NCAA sticking to their guns like they have with WG.

And I'll concede medicals allow for a more lenient approach.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is possible that Dad-Grier and Will calculated this odd position all along. They figured
a year's sit-out added to the 12-game suspension would seem excessive to adjudicators (NCAA).
Even I think the 2-years away from the game threatens ruin of a young man's CFB career.
I also think that the NCAA was stupidly-blind to the horrendous effect that their "Death Penalty"
would have and did have on SMU's program. I do not think they'll "Death Penalty" any school again.
Thus when given a chance for second thoughts I think the NCAA will lean towards leniency.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Dick move by the NCAA if true, but I don't really give a ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.