#20 UCF vs. Navy (3:30 p.m., CBSSN)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, still waiting on your dubious list of can't lose world beaters lining up for the job. And then would love to hear your plan to get them here.
he wants the Mullet

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Frost's 2018 class is rated 57th and he's clearly got the wind at his back. That's what happens when you turn around a program. Kids want to come play for you.
Which makes those kids rather silly, as they have to know he won't be there for them. Hot coaches at small schools are never long for this world.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At the end of the day he’s Nebraska bound. Alum coming back to bring back the glory of old. They would welcome option football back to Lincoln.
I actually don't buy this. I think they'll make a play for him and he'll politely decline. I think he took the UCF job for a reason - rich recruiting area - which he'll never get in Nebraska and he knows it. That's one reason why I think if UF offered him the job he'd take it.

Unfortunately, they won't be offering him the job.

With the way college football has changed, it's unlikely schools like Nebraska will ever be national powerhouses again.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's more than that. It's now the highest-scoring offense in the country at 47.3 ppg.

Against who? His opponents are a combined 22-21. UCF hasn't played anybody this year and won't get a test until they play USF at the end of the season.

You're not going to win this argument, Threat. O'Leary stocked the current roster with upper classmen based on a 2014 class that was rated 68th and the 2015 class at 71st.

Frost's 2018 class is rated 57th and he's clearly got the wind at his back. That's what happens when you turn around a program. Kids want to come play for you.

The 2018 class is 72nd https://ucf.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

UCF generally falls in the middle of the pack 50-60's in recruiting. Though O'Doull did pull in a 29th ranked class once when it looked like UCF had turned the corner. And I'm sure the 2018 class will finish much better than 72nd based on what their win/loss record ends up as.

Their roster is predominately 3*s and they generally finish at the top or near the top of their conference. When they play OOC ranked teams they can usually hang until the 4th qtr and sometimes win. However they aren't getting those tests this year.

The argument that he turned the team around by going 6-7 after the 0-12 season is fools gold. That team had won the conference the previous year but quit on O'Conner in 2016.

I'm not interested in winning an argument. I'm interested in hearing some facts and honestly it is way too early to make any more than a speculative judgement on Frost. Can he develop players? Can he recruit balanced classes? What happens when he loses a key player? Can he adjust? And what happens when everyone figures out his tendencies? Six games in and declaring him the second coming of Spurrier is premature. It may very well turn out to be true but I'm in no mood to gamble on that yet.

He is running up gaudy offensive #'s. The players obviously like him and he did flip his QB from Hawaii. I was impressed on how they handled the Navy triple option which can make supposedly more seasoned coaches look like idiots. I'm not saying that he can't turn in to the real deal but there are a lot more tests he needs to pass before I'd bet on him. He's unproven. After all the bad coach hires we've had around here I think we need to wait.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Threat, if USF amounts to a test for UCF, then the same has to hold true in reverse. USF's opponents own a combined 16-29 record, far worse than UCF's composite. FWIW, ESPN.com has UCF's overall strength of schedule rated 19th toughest in the nation compared to 41st for USF.

O'Leary didn't coach UCF in 2016. Frost did.

I pulled from 247Sports' recruiting rankings, hence the difference.

Bottom line: UCF is 6-0. Under just about any reasonable microscope, that's a fast start and worthy of discussion. Is Frost a sure-fire lock? No, of course, it is too early to tell. It has to be. His track record is limited.

The problem is, programs are so desperate for a jump-start and the money flows so freely nowadays, you know someone is going to take a gambit on him. Could be Nebraska, could be someone else. Hell, could be Florida if Mac decides to pick up for Beaver State.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Okay then USF won't be a test for them and they won't play anybody worth a damn until their bowl game.
So like you said. It's too early to tell. Couldn't agree more.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Put this test to anybody we are considering. Assume they fail and then look back on why the hell did you hire them. You'll look at Frost and see that he had one good season against weak opposition and wonder what the hell were we thinking that this guy was ready for the SEC.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay then USF won't be a test for them and they won't play anybody worth a damn until their bowl game.
So like you said. It's too early to tell. Couldn't agree more.

It's all to scale, isn't it? Yes, USF will be a test for UCF, and UCF will be one for USF. And it's all good. Utah wasn't exactly Bama when we stole Meyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.