Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If we have learned anything over the past decade, it’s that nothing good will happen until it does. So you pumpers can turn blue in the face touting this or that, but until something good happens, it hasn’t. Over the past decade we’ve had little to be excited about. No reason to jump to conclusions now.

You are very correct, which is why it is so important when someone actually signs and actually enrolls. The corollary to your proposition is that nothing bad will happen until it does.

So complaining about UF being ranked 33rd in recruiting when UF only has 12 guys committed at this point and many teams above them have 20+ guys is really not a very interesting and reasonable position particularly when nothing bad has happened yet.

Additionally in recruiting since you can bring in 50ish plus official visitors and offer an unlimited number of guys, but only sign 25ish, there is always more bad news than good news.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You are very correct, which is why it is so important when someone actually signs and actually enrolls. The corollary to your proposition is that nothing bad will happen until it does.

So complaining about UF being ranked 33rd in recruiting when UF only has 12 guys committed at this point and many teams above them have 20+ guys is really not a very interesting and reasonable position particularly when nothing bad has happened yet.

Additionally in recruiting since you can bring in 50ish plus official visitors and offer an unlimited number of guys, but only sign 25ish, there is always more bad news than good news.
Well, you are correct, technically. The problem we have is that many or most of the players staff wants committed elsewhere and therefore we would have to flip them to get them. That is easier said than done, as you know. Also, we have to deal with early signing period. Our main rivals plus so many schools that we perceive as less than UF have 20+ guys committed. So something bad already happened, more or less.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

if you want to pump something, go find a goat

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, you are correct, technically. The problem we have is that many or most of the players staff wants committed elsewhere and therefore we would have to flip them to get them.
Of course, the commitment rate is something like 80-90%, with the most turnover coming from teams with coaching changes.

Acting like all is well and that we havent dug ourselves a deep, deep hole is laughable, but some dudes major in being silly.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Coleman Crozier out of STA will join the Gators possibly as a PWO for the 2018 class. He's a hybrid DE/OLB. He was supposed to go to Naval Academy but something happened. I looked at his film and he does have a knack of getting to the QB. He holds the sack record for STA. He's only a 2* but his film is pretty good! I can see him on ST or as a FB or on clear passing situations. He has relentless effort.

Coleman Crozier on Hudl

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You know that 80-90% commitment rate bothers me from a statistical standpoint. I am sure it is correct (Law wouldn't prevaricate) but it is meaningless. It doesn't matter if 100% of the 2 and 3 stars recruits remain committed. The real number we should be concerned with is how many 4 and 5 star recruits change their preference from first announced commitment. Just anecdotally I would think the number is closer to 50% than 10%.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Matt Corral is not really a good analogy. He wanted to come here. We (DM) no longer wanted him. He didn’t leave us at the alter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You know that 80-90% commitment rate bothers me from a statistical standpoint. I am sure it is correct (Law wouldn't prevaricate) but it is meaningless. It doesn't matter if 100% of the 2 and 3 stars recruits remain committed. The real number we should be concerned with is how many 4 and 5 star recruits change their preference from first announced commitment. Just anecdotally I would think the number is closer to 50% than 10%.
He said outside of a coaching change. I’d probably add those that commit after their Jr season. The point being that most kids stick unless the HC, coordinator or position coach leave

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I predict that Mullen's results with this 2018 Gator team will generate more recruits' interest. Mullen has a rationally positive attitude, so the kids will know he won't be blowing smoke up there wazoo. Collecting those type players should be a solid base. Gotta wait to see results; results don't come ahead of time.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well, you are correct, technically. The problem we have is that many or most of the players staff wants committed elsewhere and therefore we would have to flip them to get them. That is easier said than done, as you know. Also, we have to deal with early signing period. Our main rivals plus so many schools that we perceive as less than UF have 20+ guys committed. So something bad already happened, more or less.

Well that does not include Diabate, Elam, Zipperer, Wright, Andrews, Summerall, Higgins, Knox that UF has a decent shot at and would get UF to a very nice class of 20 commitments. That does not include other possibly longer shots like Sanders, Cross, Neal, Ingraham, Putnam etc. This is again the issue of every team losing more prospect than they sign because you can invite 50+ to campus and only sign 25ish.

As for rivals with 20+ commitments, they are then unlikely to take all those guys listed in the above paragraph. So it turns out your "something bad already happened, more or less" is really less.

I do agree the board is getting thinner, but it is not gone. And flips do happen as coaches get fired or get other jobs and just in general. This reminds me again of the defensive tackle panic around here a couple of years back when UF was going to have to play SD at defensive tackle and board was all gone. Well UF ended up with Slaton, Conliffe and Campbell and we kept SD here.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well that does not include Diabate, Elam, Zipperer, Wright, Andrews, Summerall, Higgins, Knox that UF has a decent shot at and would get UF to a very nice class of 20 commitments. That does not include other possibly longer shots like Sanders, Cross, Neal, Ingraham, Putnam etc. This is again the issue of every team losing more prospect than they sign because you can invite 50+ to campus and only sign 25ish.
As for rivals with 20+ commitments, they are then unlikely to take all those guys listed in the above paragraph. So it turns out your "something bad already happened, more or less" is really less.
I do agree the board is getting thinner, but it is not gone. And flips do happen as coaches get fired or get other jobs and just in general. This reminds me again of the defensive tackle panic around here a couple of years back when UF was going to have to play SD at defensive tackle and board was all gone. Well UF ended up with Slaton, Conliffe and Campbell and we kept SD here.
It's all about winning games. Few recruits will penalize us if we lose to an LSU, georgia, and losing a game we shouldn't lose early(growing pains). Three SEC losses and another from our lesser opponent schedule(4 losses) not going to hurt(imho). I think we can withstand four SEC losses, one could even be a humiliating defeat to Miss St. No matter what we need to end the season with a win at fsu(mho). Along the way there needs to be some great defense, STs, and some convincing offense- flashes of brilliance that make skill players see the light. We'll see what happens but it looks like recruiting will be successful in the end if the staff somewhat transforms the team.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AQe7.gif

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Pretty sure the opposite is true. Gators Breakdown did a.. well.. breakdown a while back.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ever the optimist.
I'm just telling you what is going to happen when we are on the top 5 list of a handful of high school kids.

You guys told us we were landing 8 in june and july and we got zero of them, so I feel 20% is actually pretty optimistic.

Bookmark this for later. Let's see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator