Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Billy closed strong last year, with no time and no infrastructure. Now he's closing on recruits he's been working for a year, with his full staff and infrastructure in place.

We're going to be very happy with this finish.

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
Napier is killing it on the recruiting trail, I have to say. Looking forward to see how we finish. A lot of positive mo right now.
Fellas, whether or not Napier can coach a lick is still up in the air. However, having a coach right now that LOVES recruiting and LOVES mingling with high school coaches is a huge advantage. The vast majority of head coaches hate recruiting and view it as nothing more than a necessary evil. With his background, Billy is enamored with high school football and thinks it's the bees knees. It's huge, absolutely huge. Having high school coaches statewide love you and your program will steer countless blue-chippers to UF.

Just giving Napier 3 years is going to have the cupboard completely filled to the brim. Hope we can win some games in the meantime.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
It's a good sign Napier loves recruiting. But then he needs to surround himself with top notch assistants.

If you're running a business or organization, you don't want to hire a bunch of horrible managers to manage talent you hire.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Fellas, whether or not Napier can coach a lick is still up in the air. However, having a coach right now that LOVES recruiting and LOVES mingling with high school coaches is a huge advantage. The vast majority of head coaches hate recruiting and view it as nothing more than a necessary evil. With his background, Billy is enamored with high school football and thinks it's the bees knees. It's huge, absolutely huge. Having high school coaches statewide love you and your program will steer countless blue-chippers to UF.

Just giving Napier 3 years is going to have the cupboard completely filled to the brim. Hope we can win some games in the meantime.

Something to consider when talking about Napier's coaching. We were in every game we played last year. Of course, we also lost games we should have won but if Napier was able to play with every team including beating a Rose Bowl bound Utah with the little amount of talent we had on our roster, I'd say we are in a good spot for year 3/4. I expect things to look different in the future.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member

Apparently, CBN is not aware there is a "recruiting season" and thinks he should be doing it year round. Weird.

GatorJ

Hopeful
It's a good sign Napier loves recruiting. But then he needs to surround himself with top notch assistants.

If you're running a business or organization, you don't want to hire a bunch of horrible managers to manage talent you hire.
I think he’s a better coach than Kirby. The proof is in the pudding. Talent is the most important need in college football. This is a talent acquisition business.

I think that maybe one coach needs to be let go. I actually like the majority of these coaches. Hard recruiters. Good teachers of technique. Good play collars.

The talent level on this team is abysmal. We’re losing 16+ kids. And none of them were able to get on the field. On a team that has starters who were suspect in talent.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
I think he’s a better coach than Kirby. The proof is in the pudding. Talent is the most important need in college football. This is a talent acquisition business.

I think that maybe one coach needs to be let go. I actually like the majority of these coaches. Hard recruiters. Good teachers of technique. Good play collars.

Tell me you’re voice texting without telling me you’re voice texting. :lol:

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
Like Napier, I think it's too early to know whether the assistant coaches are worth a damn. I'm not convinced any of them should be canned yet. Next year is going to tell us a lot more.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
There are quite a few definitions, and it’s obviously very much open to interpretation. But I’d say the general rule is the nipple at least should be covered.
I thought you were going somewhere else with the general rule... it got interesting at "nipple" then kinda fizzled.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Like Napier, I think it's too early to know whether the assistant coaches are worth a damn. I'm not convinced any of them should be canned yet. Next year is going to tell us a lot more.

Hard to say even next year will tell us a lot. If we're still giving up 400+ yards of offense then surely that's something to be concerned about but what if it's high 300s?

What are we using for a measuring stick next year? Wins and losses might still be a little bad because of all the young talent we will see playing.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Tell me you’re voice texting without telling me you’re voice texting. :lol:
The “good play collars” are much more humane than the “bad play collars” which give an electric shock ranging from “mild” to “I’d rather be dead.” I can think of several occasions I wished some coaches were wearing the latter and on the extreme setting.

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
Hard to say even next year will tell us a lot. If we're still giving up 400+ yards of offense then surely that's something to be concerned about but what if it's high 300s?

What are we using for a measuring stick next year? Wins and losses might still be a little bad because of all the young talent we will see playing.
It may be the youngest team in the history of the Florida Gators. It will make our 2007 team look like a bunch of grizzled veterans.

RivalFlorida

We got weights in fish!
I am not as excited about Napier, as much as everyone else on this site. I like the effort on the recruiting front, but I hated his coaching. More specifically, I hated his clock management. I think it was the Mizzou game, which we won, that I saw something I have never seen in 45 years on earth.

Clock winding down toward halftime, the other team scrambling to get the field goal unit on the field and has no timeouts left, and Billy calls a time out with like 40 to go in the half. Gave Mizzou plenty of time to get set and kick the field goal.

I know there are other examples of his poor clock management, but that one was fuched up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.