Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I just find it amusing that it was all about being paid for the dollars generated from jersey sales with their name or number on them. Oh, and maybe an autograph or two. That’s all.
They not even trying to hide it anymore it pay for play any way you slice it.
Saw a young man on twitter today saying he was looking for best NIL deal

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I just find it amusing that it was all about being paid for the dollars generated from jersey sales with their name or number on them. Oh, and maybe an autograph or two. That’s all.

I was not anti-NIL in concept and still understand it's basis (Tebow being perhaps the best example), but as @RiverRat observed, this is supplemental pay for their skill/play, not their fame derived from that skill/play. Maybe that will be fine and the new norm in the long run, but it is an entirely different concept than what was legalized. More, unlike other sports, there is no salary cap for competitive balance or labor union to negotiate base pay for players. But, there is not even a farce of a performance obligation in many of these - meaning no need to show up and actually market based on your fame. Just play and get paid.

Ultimately, why have scholarship limits. Aren't those irrelevant for an in state student who is getting paid enough more to cover room, board and in state tuition? Why wouldn't Brandon Spikes just be our highest paid walkon as part of our 130 man roster? How is this not where this is headed? Do you need team roster limits, kind of like on field coaches? Does that kill the true walk on a relic?

The vuls actually have an interesting for profit collective that guaranties money and then can shop the kid like an agent with a shared recovery kicking in after a certain point. I wonder how much that will harm the QB that signed it when he is busy with classes and football, but needs to not risk repayment of $8 million so he must show up for 3 hours at the local ice cream store (this actually happened already to him while he was visiting the school for a 7v7 tournament when he is still in HS). Regardless, that is truly marketing the guy's own name, image and likeness.

Paying the DT $250k per year in exchange for one media appearance and autograph signing seems to be obviously not the marketing value of that players name, image or likeness. While the last decade of the playoff domination by 3-5 teams has caused some to be disillusioned by college football, about 20-30 schools still thought they were a coach, QB, and 1-2 good recruiting classes away at any point.

How much will that change in the next 5 years under the current format? Also, if this is what is going on, why continue to have the farce of not letting the schools communicate with the NIL brokers/collectives? Again, Tennessee is getting a bit more ahead of this and passed a law permitting the school to be involved. Florida will follow.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Sec14Gator

It was never going to stay within those parameters, as many of us said. It was always going to immediately be pay for play and buying recruits. Several of us said it, many couldn’t see it. In terms of reigning it in, good luck. That toothpaste is out. Try telling a ‘25 kid that he can’t make money for signing because of a retooling of the NIL concept, despite previous signees getting paid, and watch the mutiny that unfolds. We’re here now a on we may as well make the most of it, but like many of us predicted, it absolutely killed cfb as we know it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Also, I’ve been told(can’t confirm) that most of these deals in excess of like 50k automatically kill the player’s scholarship. So they have to pay their own way out of the proceeds. Again not sure if that’s correct. But it opens two specific problems. One, it cuts dramatically into any NIL deals valued from 50k to the low 100s. Secondly, if kids are at a place like Alabama or A&M because of the paycheck they got upfront, and don’t have to or can’t be on scholarship, they wouldn’t actually have to couldn’t against the 85 count. So theoretically, a handful of teams could absolutely corner all the talent because they can afford them and don’t have to manage roster numbers. Remember when this was going to create parity according to Law and others. Fun times.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Also, I’ve been told(can’t confirm) that most of these deals in excess of like 50k automatically kill the player’s scholarship. So they have to pay their own way out of the proceeds. Again not sure if that’s correct. But it opens two specific problems. One, it cuts dramatically into any NIL deals valued from 50k to the low 100s. Secondly, if kids are at a place like Alabama or A&M because of the paycheck they got upfront, and don’t have to or can’t be on scholarship, they wouldn’t actually have to couldn’t against the 85 count. So theoretically, a handful of teams could absolutely corner all the talent because they can afford them and don’t have to manage roster numbers. Remember when this was going to create parity according to Law and others. Fun times.

I know you did not direct it at me, but I've never thought this would bring parity. I have thought (and still do) it will ultimately help Florida. Our population size, school alumni base, and overall value the fanbase brings to the program is only matched by very few schools.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It would seem like this would go against the supreme court ruling that the NCAA can't regulate NIL.

From my understanding, it wasn’t NIL specific, but rather any income in excess of 50,000 makes a player in eligible to receive a scholarship. Again, not sure if that’s true or not.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From my understanding, it wasn’t NIL specific, but rather any income in excess of 50,000 makes a player in eligible to receive a scholarship. Again, not sure if that’s true or not.
If that is true, are the tutors, meal plan etc tied to scholarships?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I was thinking about the whole "need based scholarship" similarity, but then wouldn't it have to apply to the kids' families too since most of them are dependents?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, I was thinking about the whole "need based scholarship" similarity, but then wouldn't it have to apply to the kids' families too since most of them are dependents?

I wouldn’t think so. Someone can have a successful family and still earn option. I guess the rule, if it does in fact exist, is to deter them from working. As I said, not sure on any of it but it does seem plausible.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Verbal commitments mean even less. Players will move around all they want to increase their payday. Soon they'll discover that if they commit they're stock goes up. If they decommit their stock goes up. If they commit again their stock goes up. Then once a year they enter the transfer portal to see what they can get. It's gonna get worse, oh it's gonna get worse.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kinejah Harris OL from IMG committing on 5/7 has CBs rolling in for the good guys
Says he’s 6’3”, meaning he’s a guard. What we need is a couple of 5* tackles.

Of course, take him if he’s wanting in but don’t over pay for him.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Says he’s 6’3”, meaning he’s a guard. What we need is a couple of 5* tackles.

Of course, take him if he’s wanting in but don’t over pay for him.

Yeah we got some good shots at a couple 4* tackles but it’s gonna take a full cycle I’m afraid for the relationships to get built with some of these kids…this class is essential to Napiers long term success being a bump class though…the numbers are irrefutable

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.