Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we got some good shots at a couple 4* tackles but it’s gonna take a full cycle I’m afraid for the relationships to get built with some of these kids…this class is essential to Napiers long term success being a bump class though…the numbers are irrefutable

There's a lot of truth to that. It is absolutely inept dereliction Mullen committed on his watch. An absolute lazy and incompetent coach. He worked under Meyer which should have shown him what it would take to recruit. Arrogance and laziness put UF in this situation. But we're beyond that now but it is Napier's mess to clean up. He has a tall task to do to get this done, but he's full steam ahead on it. True it may take a full cycle and we are going to have to lean heavily on the '23 and '24 class.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We here these kids are unpredictable and always change their minds, then we hear that our staff needs more time. As if these kids need stability of knowing a coach for a couple years. But wait coaches leave all the time.

It's all BS. Top 5 class or bust. Staff is on the clock.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We here these kids are unpredictable and always change their minds, then we hear that our staff needs more time. As if these kids need stability of knowing a coach for a couple years. But wait coaches leave all the time.

Agreed. December 21st we'll know for sure. Cumulative final.

Oct 29th is the cumulative mid-term.

Between now and then are just quizzes.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018

It’s a fact that some of these kids have been recruited by the big boys for the whole tenure of Mullens career who could have turned them off from UF due to lack of effort or just outright bumbling idiocy…so that’s my point…you take Kirby at UGA who had an ace recruiter as a predecessor same with Meyer and same with Kelly at LSU Jimbo at A&M they had at least a previous standing with guys that they could build on…so that’s what I mean especially at QB you’re either building trust and a relationship or dropping bags like Kirby and Chump did at USCe

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I was not anti-NIL in concept and still understand it's basis (Tebow being perhaps the best example), but as @RiverRat observed, this is supplemental pay for their skill/play, not their fame derived from that skill/play. Maybe that will be fine and the new norm in the long run, but it is an entirely different concept than what was legalized. More, unlike other sports, there is no salary cap for competitive balance or labor union to negotiate base pay for players. But, there is not even a farce of a performance obligation in many of these - meaning no need to show up and actually market based on your fame. Just play and get paid.

Ultimately, why have scholarship limits. Aren't those irrelevant for an in state student who is getting paid enough more to cover room, board and in state tuition? Why wouldn't Brandon Spikes just be our highest paid walkon as part of our 130 man roster? How is this not where this is headed? Do you need team roster limits, kind of like on field coaches? Does that kill the true walk on a relic?

The vuls actually have an interesting for profit collective that guaranties money and then can shop the kid like an agent with a shared recovery kicking in after a certain point. I wonder how much that will harm the QB that signed it when he is busy with classes and football, but needs to not risk repayment of $8 million so he must show up for 3 hours at the local ice cream store (this actually happened already to him while he was visiting the school for a 7v7 tournament when he is still in HS). Regardless, that is truly marketing the guy's own name, image and likeness.

Paying the DT $250k per year in exchange for one media appearance and autograph signing seems to be obviously not the marketing value of that players name, image or likeness. While the last decade of the playoff domination by 3-5 teams has caused some to be disillusioned by college football, about 20-30 schools still thought they were a coach, QB, and 1-2 good recruiting classes away at any point.

How much will that change in the next 5 years under the current format? Also, if this is what is going on, why continue to have the farce of not letting the schools communicate with the NIL brokers/collectives? Again, Tennessee is getting a bit more ahead of this and passed a law permitting the school to be involved. Florida will follow.

Pro leagues have salary caps but no regulation of ad and sponsorship deals. The biggest stars make more off the field/court than on.

That’s how I perceived NIL. The NCAA would continue to manage scholarships etc. but couldn’t restrict players’ ability to make money off their fame or even off the field anymore. They had put the screws to a backup UCF kicker a few years ago who had a decent YouTube channel going, for example.

Maybe it settles down to that eventually? How long will it take for boosters to realize half the 5-stars and 60-65% of 4-stars don’t pan out so great?

I hope the structured approach UF has begun, mixed with the substance of work ethic etc., will prove out & attract championship-level talent. It makes sense to me, but I wouldn’t have seen that at 17. My parents would have seen it, but I didn’t grow up in poverty.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Can a kid be sure Saban will last the next 3 years or that the program will hire another elite coach?

Which is to say, I agree with you. With the brand, system, university, location and new facilities etc. to sell there must be a noticeable move to the top shelf.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I mean, if we cannot blow out scUM, f$u, Ut, AU etc. and win a chunk of battles for elite Florida & South Georgia players then nothing will have changed. And it must.

I sure hope so. Can’t imagine Katie Turner frowning.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We made Dylan Lonegan's top 5. Alabama, Florida, Ohio St, USCe and Stanford. Im hoping we land him. Here are his comments about the top 5.

These schools definitely showed the most love and made me feel like a priority. I got a great feeling with all the coaches. Thinking next visits will be officials to those five.

Just (Bill) O’Brien being great with quarterbacks and the ability the keep the same offense even though they change offensive coordinators so often. They got three quarterbacks starting in the league right now so not a bad place to be a quarterback.

Coach Napier has a good track record with quarterbacks and the baseball program has been great. Also the new facility they are building is incredible.

The offense might be the most quarterback friendly to play in. Coach Day does a great job with the quarterbacks. The baseball program also does well developing pitchers.

Always feel at home at South Carolina. Coach Beamer and Satt do a fantastic job. Also love what the baseball program is doing. I’m excited to see where the football program is going.

The education plays a huge part as well as the development of quarterbacks with Davis Mills. Baseball is a Top 10 program in the country. (stanford)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We made Dylan Lonegan's top 5. Alabama, Florida, Ohio St, USCe and Stanford. Im hoping we land him. Here are his comments about the top 5.

These schools definitely showed the most love and made me feel like a priority. I got a great feeling with all the coaches. Thinking next visits will be officials to those five.

Just (Bill) O’Brien being great with quarterbacks and the ability the keep the same offense even though they change offensive coordinators so often. They got three quarterbacks starting in the league right now so not a bad place to be a quarterback.

Coach Napier has a good track record with quarterbacks and the baseball program has been great. Also the new facility they are building is incredible.

The offense might be the most quarterback friendly to play in. Coach Day does a great job with the quarterbacks. The baseball program also does well developing pitchers.

Always feel at home at South Carolina. Coach Beamer and Satt do a fantastic job. Also love what the baseball program is doing. I’m excited to see where the football program is going.

The education plays a huge part as well as the development of quarterbacks with Davis Mills. Baseball is a Top 10 program in the country. (stanford)

Looks like we check all the boxes on the things he's looking for in a school.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QB at UF is a full time gig . We can’t have our QB shooting jumpers and tossing BP. Only an idiot like Zook would sign off on that . He isn’t getting on the mound if he comes here or swiping bags like Gavin Dickey . No ****ing way .

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
QB at UF is a full time gig . We can’t have our QB shooting jumpers and tossing BP. Only an idiot like Zook would sign off on that . He isn’t getting on the mound if he comes here or swiping bags like Gavin Dickey . No ****ing way .

The only dual sports I've seen work was with RB/WR in Football and Track...Never a QB...Not in this day and age.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
flssqjwz5iuv9nkgbd5a

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Neither of those example played in a real conference. Neither one won anything while there. And you could argue that both of them(definitely the one) are much better now that they’re in the NFL, where they focus on and play one sport.

Dont disagree with a single thing you are saying. Just want to add that we have sucked at recruiting QBs since that last QB we had that also played baseball in high school but chose football over baseball. Also, its not a great class of QBs this year. Im a Holstein fan. I like this guy probably next but its obvious he (and his father) wants to play baseball wherever he goes and Im not a fan of that either. He looks Stanford bound anyways. I think Beamer is likely saying he can play baseball if he wants.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Dont disagree with a single thing you are saying. Just want to add that we have sucked at recruiting QBs since that last QB we had that also played baseball in high school but chose football over baseball. Also, its not a great class of QBs this year. Im a Holstein fan. I like this guy probably next but its obvious he (and his father) wants to play baseball wherever he goes and Im not a fan of that either. He looks Stanford bound anyways. I think Beamer is likely saying he can play baseball if he wants.

He's also from Georgia and looks like he wears a helmet to bed. I think we can do better.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Neither of those example played in a real conference. Neither one won anything while there. And you could argue that both of them(definitely the one) are much better now that they’re in the NFL, where they focus on and play one sport.
What about Rapeis? Wasn't he a full time pitcher for the Nulls? Much as I hate it, he was pretty successful as a college QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.