Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Robertson singles. Anyone know the last time he got a hit? Kurland gets hit on an 0-2 pitch LOL. Cags gets hit on a 2-2 pitch after falling behind 0-2, LOL Bases loaded no outs. Evans strikes out looking. Are you fkking kidding me? Shelton strikes out. Are you fkking kidding me? Heyman strikes out. Are you fkking kidding me?

Bases loaded no outs against a pitcher who had just hit two batters in a row and 3 strikeouts by the 3,4,5 hitters. Helluva club.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Leadoff walk by Fisher. Good times. Another walk by Fisher. Good times. SAC bunt. 2nd and 3rd one out.

Fisher out. McNeillie in. A good job by Fisher until the 9th inning. But it is who this team is. It stinks. Cannot score with bases loaded and no outs and give any MO to Mizzou not only by choking but then walking the first 2 hitters Wild pitch by McNeillie on an 0-2 count. FKKING horrendous. Double to right center. Ties game. Mizzou deserves it.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Line drive to CF that Robertson could have had it but did not. Mizzou wins. They deserved it. Gators left at least 6 easy runs on base today. The worst display of a baseball for an entire weekend I have ever seen. Against the worst team in the league. Let's see how Sully addresses the complete ineptitude of fundamental baseball on full display in all facets of the game the entire weekend.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Line drive to CF that Robertson could have had it but did not. Mizzou wins. They deserved it. Gators left at least 6 easy runs on base today. The worst display of a baseball for an entire weekend I have ever seen. Against the worst team in the league. Let's see how Sully addresses the complete ineptitude of fundamental baseball on full display in all facets of the game the entire weekend.
Bases loaded with no outs in top of 9th :facepalm:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm bases loaded with no outs for us. Zero runs.

Bases loaded with no outs for them...

Good times.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I would say that realistically coming off this abysmal performance this weekend and the team's overall performance thru 30 games, that reaching .500 in SEC play will probably be a monumental task for this group.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I watched some other games today and it was a much more pleasant experience. There's a lot of solid teams that play baseball the way it was meant to be played. Pitchers that work the zone, hitters that look for base hits, small ball to move runners and put pressure on the defense, sound infielding, etc.

As enjoyable as it is to see HRs, "hit home runs" is neither a winning nor sound strategy. We have gotten away with this half ass offensive strategy for a long time bc we had such good pitching and defense year after year. But the wheels absolutely come off when pitching and defense aren't top notch.

This season is a perfect storm. We suck in all facets of the game but what might be the worst thing is we are wasting a generational talent in caglianone. He's the player that takes a good team and makes them a champion. Instead we are using him to make a historically bad team a mediocre one. What an absolute waste.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I watched some other games today and it was a much more pleasant experience. There's a lot of solid teams that play baseball the way it was meant to be played. Pitchers that work the zone, hitters that look for base hits, small ball to move runners and put pressure on the defense, sound infielding, etc.

As enjoyable as it is to see HRs
, "hit home runs" is neither a winning nor sound strategy. We have gotten away with this half ass offensive strategy for a long time bc we had such good pitching and defense year after year. But the wheels absolutely come off when pitching and defense aren't top notch.

This season is a perfect storm. We suck in all facets of the game but what might be the worst thing is we are wasting a generational talent in caglianone. He's the player that takes a good team and makes them a champion. Instead we are using him to make a historically bad team a mediocre one. What an absolute waste.
FWIW Mizzou hit a grand total of ZERO HR's this weekend and yet won 3 games. Granted the wind was howling in the first 2 games, but today it was howling out. What this team cannot do and it has been a huge bugaboo for Sully coached teams in the past is scoring runs with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. Forget about bases loaded no outs and the meat of the order up, that is simply the worst hitting thoughts in a player's mind that I have ever seen. But that mentality has to come from somewhere. And from what I have learned is that defensive fielding % is a huge misnomer. This team blows defensively, yet field at a high rate. Cannot turn a DP b/c of various reasons etc. Throw to the wrong base, slowly field a ball allowing runners to advance etc. Those things do not go down as errors but they are huge mistakes that no stat captures.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
HRs are a great part of the game, but why is everyone swinging for the wall? We also need hitters who can hit the open gaps on the field when the defense shifts, but our guys just don't do that. Hard hit balls that end up with an F7, F8 or whatever on the scorebook are the easiest plays to make for the defense. Sometimes it pays to take what the defense is offering!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
HRs are a great part of the game, but why is everyone swinging for the wall? We also need hitters who can hit the open gaps on the field when the defense shifts, but our guys just don't do that. Hard hit balls that end up with an F7, F8 or whatever on the scorebook are the easiest plays to make for the defense. Sometimes it pays to take what the defense is offering!
the best play of the whole game was that lead off hit where we layed down a beautiful bunt to 3rd when they started out in a shift.

it was all swing for the fences after that tho :facepalm:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Already have turned this schitt off.
What? Why? We got off to a great start with back to back HR's to start the game and took a 2-0 lead. Then Slater took the mound and the
Clowns did not make their first out until the #9 hitter. But on a positive note we only gave them one free pass in the first inning. Only trail 6-2 but does not look like the Clowns are done scoring tonight.
:nole:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
What? Why? We got off to a great start with back to back HR's to start the game and took a 2-0 lead. Then Slater took the mound and the
Clowns did not make their first out until the #9 hitter. But on a positive note we only gave them one free pass in the first inning. Only trail 6-2 but does not look like the Clowns are done scoring tonight.
:nole:
Nope, but I'm done watching. Netflix is more entertaining that watching Deja Vu all over again.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
11-3 after 2 innings. the Clowns have batted around in both innings. anyone who things we can hit needs to watch other teams. The Clowns can hit. They do not miss any pitch that is a mistake by the pitcher. And our pitching staff makes numerous mistakes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Okay we are on our way back. We did not allow the Clowns to bat around in that inning and only allowed two hits and one run. 12-3. I, like Joe, am checking out. Too bad the run rule does not go into effect when a team immediately takes a 10 or more run lead, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator