Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Rivals seems to be missing the boat on this one. That or the other sites agree to disagree with Rivals. Any thoughts as to why he hasn't committed? Is he lower on our board than others we might be recruiting?

Weird that Rivals lists him as a CB but doesn’t rank him by position. Seems like an error - not updated in a long time?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I want these guys where CR thinks they should be. We didn't give the guy the reins to be doing a lot of micro managing.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We are at 20. If we only add 4, to get to 24, what positions would you choose?

Me?

1 OT, 1 DL (elite rush or DT), 1 WR, 1CB.

I would keep recruiting someone of high caliber at each position group in case we get flipped. I also think we could go as high as 26 because of unforeseen attrition and the possibility we lose a commit or two. As far as us flipping recruits, I would look to fsu, scUM, georgia, even LSU, to see who might have interest in listening/visiting. Re flipping recruits to fill our class, I see that as being a strategy in case we get flipped out of a couple of commits. Taking a very good player from an opponent is like a 14 point swing.
I’d like to see another IOL. We’ve got 3 OTs committed but just the German on the inside. Of course, those distinctions are not cast in stone.

I’d love to see the Mainland guys both commit to UF (DL MCray & DB Mincey.) And a nice flip for an elite WR would finish it off.

But I don’t see numerical cap issues as being a problem with all the portal movement in the spring.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Where are we getting recruits?
(Out of 20)

6-Georgia
5-Florida (2 in the top 20... 8,12)
2-MD
2-Texas
2-MS
1-VA
1-NC
1-Germany

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Where are we getting recruits?
(Out of 20)

6-Georgia
5-Florida (2 in the top 20... 8,12)
2-MD
2-Texas
2-MS
1-VA
1-NC
1-Germany
And that’s counting Hawkins as Fla because he’s at IMG, but he’s actually from WV. And the GA guys mostly aren’t within the 4-hours from Gainesville footprint. 3 from the Atlanta area.

We’ll hopefully close with more quality Florida guys but we’ve got to improve in state and that 4-hour footprint.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I’d like to see another IOL. We’ve got 3 OTs committed but just the German on the inside. Of course, those distinctions are not cast in stone.

I’d love to see the Mainland guys both commit to UF (DL MCray & DB Mincey.) And a nice flip for an elite WR would finish it off.

But I don’t see numerical cap issues as being a problem with all the portal movement in the spring.
I always see 6'5 OT types as OGs if they do not work out at T. If staff is confident in them and reels in another IOL, great. I would really like to see the Orlando DT with McCray. It's a big DL class but enviable. Three linemen, two DB if possible, the WR. Would be nice.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
D’Antre Robinson commits on the 20th. Picking between us, Texas, Ohio State, and Jawga.

Thought to be between us and Texas.

6’4, 300lbs - DT from Orlando

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
D’Antre Robinson commits on the 20th. Picking between us, Texas, Ohio State, and Jawga.

donkey likes big butts.

Animated GIF

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Odds are we do not finish our DL class with TJ, D'Antre, and Dealyn, but I would take it. Next year's class could be smaller. There is the possibility a current DL commit flips. But with those three, unless we then went to 27, we wouldn't have a full DB, WR, or OL class- unless 4 HS OL is enough.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Top 10 DTs in NFL according to ESPN by 247 composite rank. I didn’t go through all of these, but it looks like a Rivals was more accurate on their DT rankings.

I wanted to do this little exercise to see how many 3* DTs make it really big. Virtually none. No, I’m not looking at collegiate impact. Only NFL. But that’s pretty jarring.

Also – do you wanna know why Dan Mullen had so much success at Mississippi State? Back to back five star DT recruits. They were both homegrown in Mississippi. They’re so damn good that they are both in the top three of all DTs in the NFL.

1. Aaron Donaldson - Pitt: 4*
2. Chris Jones - Mississippi State: 5*
3. Jeffery Simmons - Mississippi State: 5*
4. Quinnen Williams - Bama: 4*
5. Javon Hargrave - S. Carolina State: UR
6. Dexter Lawrence - Clemson: 5*
7. DeForest Buckner - Oregon 4*
8. Daron Payne - Bama 4*
9. Cam Heyward - Ohio State 4*
10. Jonathan Allen - Bama 5*

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Funny, not that long ago we were getting nothing but IOLs and trying to find out which ones could play OT.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Top 10 DTs in NFL according to ESPN by 247 composite rank. I didn’t go through all of these, but it looks like a Rivals was more accurate on their DT rankings.

I wanted to do this little exercise to see how many 3* DTs make it really big. Virtually none. No, I’m not looking at collegiate impact. Only NFL. But that’s pretty jarring.

Also – do you wanna know why Dan Mullen had so much success at Mississippi State? Back to back five star DT recruits. They were both homegrown in Mississippi. They’re so damn good that they are both in the top three of all DTs in the NFL.

1. Aaron Donaldson - Pitt: 4*
2. Chris Jones - Mississippi State: 5*
3. Jeffery Simmons - Mississippi State: 5*
4. Quinnen Williams - Bama: 4*
5. Javon Hargrave - S. Carolina State: UR
6. Dexter Lawrence - Clemson: 5*
7. DeForest Buckner - Oregon 4*
8. Daron Payne - Bama 4*
9. Cam Heyward - Ohio State 4*
10. Jonathan Allen - Bama 5*
I’d rank Jones over Donaldson. He is unstoppable.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We also have to keep in mind that when these services say they are projecting on 1st round grades, they should be projecting based on position distributions too. So in the first round you see a lot of QBs, DE, OT etc and many space eaters at DT.

I forget which site did their ratings based on college performance projections, but that’s what we should care about.

I’m very happy with this class and confident we’ll finish strong.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey:

So, I was glancing at the classes and I cant help but notice Ugaly has taken a step back. They are sitting at 26 croots but only have 11 top 100 Elite Recruits (I'm just using Rivals 5.9 or better as a high 4 star succeed at the same percentage as 5 stars). This is down from 16 last year. 5 is quite a few difference and their class is basically full, though I have no doubt they might toss some 3* fluff if they need to make room.

We are sitting a 8 currently, compared to six last year. We aren't winning but we are losing by less and we still have a few slots free for a late take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.