Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He took a shot at Hambones 3rd and Grantham prevent D called on that 4th and 16, which I 100% agree with the criticism.

He blew his assignment, watched the QB and let Burden run right past him. Three guys right there watching a fly ball drop between them.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

He blew his assignment, watched the QB and let Burden run right past him. Three guys right there watching a fly ball drop between them.

I couldn't make out the numbers, but the deep DB should have come up to nail the receiver and there was another DB that was too busy signaling an incomplete to nail the guy.

So If it was cover 3, then 2 were in position to break up that pass.

Was the guy 10 yards away the LB? Isn't he in zone?

Am I missing something?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't make out the numbers, but the deep DB should have come up to nail the receiver and there was another DB that was too busy signaling an incomplete to nail the guy.

Am I missing something?
Yeah. I agree. I don’t think the LB was responsible for that. One of the DBs should have closed in.

I was not impressed with Corey Raymond.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Yeah. I agree. I don’t think the LB was responsible for that. One of the DBs should have closed in.

As a play like that develops, the LB has to get depth, especially on 4th and 16.

Yes he was “in zone” but most don’t coach to cover no one and when everyone clears behind you, back up and be in the play. He did not blow the play, but he also played it horribly.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
To me all of the talk about who what and where is meaningless. The initial set up was completely incorrect. Some version of 3 linemen, 5 players standing in a straight horizontal line at the line to gain, with 3 safeties behind them. Nothing matters what is occurring in front of the sticks. You are defending no player on this player you are defending the line to gain. You are responsible for any player that reaches you and beyond. Now how you want to do that at the line to game is up to you, but dropping and coming forward and being in zone versus man is all pointless. You are defending a spot on the field only.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As a play like that develops, the LB has to get depth, especially on 4th and 16.

Yes he was “in zone” but most don’t coach to cover no one and when everyone clears behind you, back up and be in the play. He did not blow the play, but he also played it horribly.
Alex Anzalone actually responded to this in a tweet and said no LB is ever responsible for that.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Am I missing something?
Looks to me like he didn’t go with the 1 guy who ran to his zone. There’s no one else for him to cover - and there’s a spy covering a back who slips out of the backfield. He’s chasing the play instead of making it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me like he didn’t go with the 1 guy who ran to his zone. There’s no one else for him to cover - and there’s a spy covering a back who slips out of the backfield. He’s chasing the play instead of making it.
Does his zone drop off before deep coverage or does he go man once someone enters his zone?

I have no idea.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Alex Anzalone actually responded to this in a tweet and said no LB is ever responsible for that.
I hadn't seen that in here, so I looked at his X account. I think Anzelone is saying the same as most here, that is was a disaster all around (including my point about him getting more depth):

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Does his zone drop off before deep coverage or does he go man once someone enters his zone?

I have no idea.
I’m not sure, but it’s not the call. As you noted, a safety is late arriving and another DB is celebrating the play instead of making it.

Shane said yesterday that no one in the program has been down on him over that play, but he’s also getting buried on the depth chart behind Howard, James etc. and the freshmen are clearly passing him soon. The tweet was a bad moment, bad look but no need to put too much on it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I would ask again. Why would you be concerned about any player prior to the line to gain? You can be aware of him with vision, no need to be physically near him until he is near the line to gain with the ball.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hadn't seen that in here, so I looked at his X account. I think Anzelone is saying the same as most here, that is was a disaster all around (including my point about him getting more depth):

I don’t disagree. But I don’t even think it’s that bad of a play call. I just think the DB play was atrocious. I mean, there were three dudes around it.

Btw - here is one of the tweets I was talking about.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To put this in perspective lets consider whats going through a LBer's mind in this situation....One his drop is certainly deep enough. Why" Well think about this for a moment....it's 4th and 16 so yes you should drop an extra 2 or 3 steps deeper than you might on a 3rd down or shorter distance...OK....Now imagine the scenario where they slip a RB or shifty slot guy across your face at about 10-12 yards beyond the LOS....Do you expect a LBer to be able to bring that small fast guy down before he gets to the sticks...at least give him a chance to get a hand on that guy(if it happened) and hope like hell the worst instinctual safeties that I've ever seen on this level can close and help stop him short of the sticks...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

There is a bunch more than Corey Raymond wrong with that. I don't even know why they were 17 yards deep anyway. This is a freshman QB, not Tom Brady. He wasn't beating us 40 yards deep if we crept up. Even if you somehow didnt want to play a tight man coverage, just moving the safeties to to 12-14 yards makes everything much more condensed. Standing two yards behind the line to gain just is silly.

Go back and look. EVERY receiver except the one on the left was open. That isnt just one guy screwing up. Screenshot_2024-04-17_20-26-57.png

The screenshot is a tad deceiving because that crossing route at the 50 yard line looks covered but it isn't. That safety was standing flatfooted and that receiver was smoking from the righ (offense right slot). That is a slightly harder pass but he was open and it would have been a first down. That reciever started in the slot and is also what slowed down Nunnery, I suspect as he was reading that initially to see if it was a seam route and his responsibility.

Both receivers on the right were open and Im not sure that the pass wasn't intended for the deeper receiver. I think the commentator said the same thing, if Im remembering the right play. I like Castelle, but he is 30 yards deep and bailing vs no one. I just have no clue what he was taught or what he was seeing. The other corner is off the screen here too.

I don't know who was covering the left receiver but he was perfect, in phase and right on his hip.

The checkdown to the RB was there but your are really only worried about a wheel route there.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a bunch more than Corey Raymond wrong with that. I don't even know why they were 17 yards deep anyway. This is a freshman QB, not Tom Brady. He wasn't beating us 40 yards deep if we crept up. Even if you somehow didnt want to play a tight man coverage, just moving the safeties to to 12-14 yards makes everything much more condensed. Standing two yards behind the line to gain just is silly.

Go back and look. EVERY receiver except the one on the left was open. That isnt just one guy screwing up. View attachment 69352

The screenshot is a tad deceiving because that crossing route at the 50 yard line looks covered but it isn't. That safety was standing flatfooted and that receiver was smoking from the righ (offense right slot). That is a slightly harder pass but he was open and it would have been a first down. That reciever started in the slot and is also what slowed down Nunnery, I suspect as he was reading that initially to see if it was a seam route and his responsibility.

Both receivers on the right were open and Im not sure that the pass wasn't intended for the deeper receiver. I think the commentator said the same thing, if Im remembering the right play. I like Castelle, but he is 30 yards deep and bailing vs no one. I just have no clue what he was taught or what he was seeing.

I don't know who was covering the left receiver but he was perfect, in phase and right on his hip.

The checkdown to the RB was there but your are really only worried about a wheel route there.
But that’s really my point. Corey Raymond had our guys constantly out of position. And of course, none of them could tackle.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Gumby played in the Orange and Blue game?
I saw Brien Taylor and Ivory playing end / Buck but no mention of Gumbs. He was brought in for rushing the passer.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now we're at the point where disgruntled, illiterate, lousy players trash the program on their way out and our fans pump their fist in agreement. Never seen anything like it.

And I thought I was the only one that didn’t appreciate his comments.
Maybe Nunnery will have better luck at his third or fourth or fifth school and he’ll be able to stop blaming others for his incompetence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.