Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
No, I'm stating the factual observation that the overwhelming majority of college kids are there on someone else's dime. Whether they get Bright Futures from the State, an athletic scholarship, or whether mom & dad just give them the cash---none of them have "earned" it beyond studying hard or having above-average athletic abilities.

Honestly, your posts reek of rank jealousy. The athletes aren't doing anything wrong for taking money that's being freely offered.

Again, I hate NIL--hate the media blowhards that drove the whole "pay the players" nonsense, hate the politicians that signed off on it, and hate the NCAA for being clueless morons in how to set it up. My scholarship was in track and for darn sure I wouldn't have benefited from the current system. NIL is weighted towards the 2-3% of college athletes who *may* have a professional future and of that, it's predominantly in two sports (football and basketball). Unless you're a really hot girl, few to any regular student athletes benefit from it.
Good lord, Where does this FN Jealousy bs come from?
You're the second poster in this thread to roll that out?
Jealous???
Of what???

Look at it like this.
If these kids were being offered a stipend, or something along the lines of what a "normal" kid would earn with a minimum wage job, then, what's the big deal?
In my opinion, the NCAA is mostly responsible for what's going on right now. Their draconian rules about working, earning and what athletes can and cannot do, were just oppressive and stupid.

I have no idea how anyone could construe the post below as being jealous.
If anything, I'm even more pissed off because "normal" college kids that go to school and do the right things, aren't allowed entry into a school like UF. But some of these fn clowns get in, get a schollly, get PAID , and them transfer when they don't get a big NIL deal.

Oh, no doubt.
It's not the fact they have money, it's the fact they haven't earned a damned dime. You and I may have closed down the bars, but, you and I weren't given the money to do it. Personally, I've had a job since I was 12 years old.

Of course, most young kids would do the same things these kids are doing now. Thats not what I'm pissed off about.
It's the growing entitlement attitude and the exorbitant lifestyles these kids are, all of a sudden, living. Most, not all, of these kids are not equipped to handle everything that comes along with all this cash and entitlement.
Taxes are just one issue.

I'm not sure what we, as a society, are breeding here. Because, there are a lot of things that go along with a kid that's flush with cash. Bad things.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Look at it like this.
If these kids were being offered a stipend, or something along the lines of what a "normal" kid would earn with a minimum wage job, then, what's the big deal?

Sounds an awful lot like communism. :lol2:

Come on now--"normal" college students make $10-15 an hour at most part-time jobs and even the best, most successful bar in Gainesville makes in annual gross revenue about 1/7th of what ONE home game is for the University (and that's not even factoring in tv revenue, royalties from product licensing, etc.). College athletics is a billion dollar (+) industry. If you're fine with them getting paid, at least have it be in proportion to the revenue the industry its in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now that I think about this for a second.
It's not jealousy.

It's RESENTMENT.
Exactly. We bitched and moaned for years about Bammer and Clemson paying players and now we bitch and moan bc we dont want to pay ours.

We, the fanbase, actually do pay, it is just all going into the UAA blackbole, 150mil a yr, which cant be spent on facilities or talent. 150 mil which just disappears.

When I drive around Lexington and Cincinnati, I see billboards, including Morgan and Morgan, with local players on them. Ditto with some TV commercials. At UF, businesses pay to be associated with UF, to declare themselves the official mayonnaise of the Florida Gators, but the UAA absorbs all that, not the players.

Our NIL seems to be limited to paying kids to talk on podcasters and doing personal appearances at

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Sounds an awful lot like communism. :lol2:

Come on now--"normal" college students make $10-15 an hour at most part-time jobs and even the best, most successful bar in Gainesville makes in annual gross revenue about 1/7th of what ONE home game is for the University (and that's not even factoring in tv revenue, royalties from product licensing, etc.). College athletics is a billion dollar (+) industry. If you're fine with them getting paid, at least have it be in proportion to the revenue the industry its in.
So now you've moved the goalpost from NIL deals to revenue sharing.
Sounds like Professional Sports to me. Players Union, collective bargaining etc.
How about this, we get rid of athletic scholarships al together.
No grants in aid either.

Play the sport for the love of the game and your chosen school.

Yeah, Pipe dream I know.
I just want my sport back and, realize it's gone forever.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
So now you've moved the goalpost from NIL deals to revenue sharing.
Sounds like Professional Sports to me. Players Union, collective bargaining etc.
How about this, we get rid of athletic scholarships al together.
No grants in aid either.

Play the sport for the love of the game and your chosen school.

Yeah, Pipe dream I know.
I just want my sport back and, realize it's gone forever.

I didn't move the goalposts whatsoever--you were the one who brought up paying everyone "equally" what "normal" college students make. Which is a patently absurd comparison. The gross annual take at one franchise Outback or Salty Dogg pales in comparison to what one college football game at UF makes, let alone the full season and the full other revenue.

It is a pipe dream and you know it. The days of playing as a pure amateur student-athlete were over a looooong time ago. It's a whole industry now and has been for some time.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Shows how important hs recruiting is on the oline because the transfer portal doesn't produce much on that end

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
  1. We have resources. No we are not Texas or some others, but yes we have a lot of resources. It's the UAA not making NIL a priority. Not making football a priority. UAA always has been and will continue to be the issue until it's cleaned out. You can fire Napier and start over time and time again, but until you fix the UAA, it will be the same crap.
  2. NIL is the primary driver for recruiting. Yes, Saban was different and look at Bama now, it's showing. There will always be outliers, but NIL is the primary driver for the majority of kids. So far we have named Saban and Hartline as exceptions. One's gone and one could be gone at any given time. Kids may like a school or coach and decide to take less NIL, but they aren't going to take a lot less. Filsame is a prime example of that..."my heart was in Florida but Texas offered more"
  3. No longer a need for recruiting 3* projects. The portal will let the G5 weed those kids out for you. You still have to get elites through HS recruiting. OT is probably the biggest position that stays. QB's will jump due to log jams. But elite players are usually taken care of and move through the portal less often. However, low ranked HS recruits that break out in G5 will want to be promoted. Or even kids that prove themselves to be needed depth pieces.
  4. Revenue sharing is on the horizon. The issue will be what happens when female athletes claim equity and sue. Not sure how that will play out, but it will only make things worse. I personally wish we'd just have an NFL D league and leave the kids in college alone. That's not likely to happen unless the whole thing blows up with revenue sharing. So anyone's projection is as good as anyone else's.
  5. UF appears to be begging fans for NIL, which is just a bad look. I hope it blows up and creates change at the UAA, but why would we expect that.
I've accepted the fact that we'll never be champs again until the UAA is fixed. Napier is not a great coach, but neither is Kirby. UGA made football a priority, and I actually do think that Napier could build a more talented and stable program than Kirby if resources were directed that way, but they're not. But Napier would still need X and O's help.

To that end, I'm just going to hope we get lucky here and there and try to enjoy the games. Wonder who the fuchs this player or that player is. And watch the sport as a whole deteriorate. Griping and moaning doesn't work, and listening to people who thinks it does, is just obscene. It's the UAA, always has been and until there is change there, there won't be change in the football program.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe some of y’all who understand this better than I can break it down, but when I was in school all of those grades but 2 were a “D” or an “F.” Hoping I’m wrong here as our two guys were not at the higher end.
It seems like scores in the 70s were Cs, but maybe you're a lot older than I am. :lol:

All the same, it's fair to say that there isn't a lot of great talent in the portal.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
  1. We have resources. No we are not Texas or some others, but yes we have a lot of resources. It's the UAA not making NIL a priority. Not making football a priority. UAA always has been and will continue to be the issue until it's cleaned out. You can fire Napier and start over time and time again, but until you fix the UAA, it will be the same crap.
  2. NIL is the primary driver for recruiting. Yes, Saban was different and look at Bama now, it's showing. There will always be outliers, but NIL is the primary driver for the majority of kids. So far we have named Saban and Hartline as exceptions. One's gone and one could be gone at any given time. Kids may like a school or coach and decide to take less NIL, but they aren't going to take a lot less. Filsame is a prime example of that..."my heart was in Florida but Texas offered more"
  3. No longer a need for recruiting 3* projects. The portal will let the G5 weed those kids out for you. You still have to get elites through HS recruiting. OT is probably the biggest position that stays. QB's will jump due to log jams. But elite players are usually taken care of and move through the portal less often. However, low ranked HS recruits that break out in G5 will want to be promoted. Or even kids that prove themselves to be needed depth pieces.
  4. Revenue sharing is on the horizon. The issue will be what happens when female athletes claim equity and sue. Not sure how that will play out, but it will only make things worse. I personally wish we'd just have an NFL D league and leave the kids in college alone. That's not likely to happen unless the whole thing blows up with revenue sharing. So anyone's projection is as good as anyone else's.
  5. UF appears to be begging fans for NIL, which is just a bad look. I hope it blows up and creates change at the UAA, but why would we expect that.
I've accepted the fact that we'll never be champs again until the UAA is fixed. Napier is not a great coach, but neither is Kirby. UGA made football a priority, and I actually do think that Napier could build a more talented and stable program than Kirby if resources were directed that way, but they're not. But Napier would still need X and O's help.

To that end, I'm just going to hope we get lucky here and there and try to enjoy the games. Wonder who the fuchs this player or that player is. And watch the sport as a whole deteriorate. Griping and moaning doesn't work, and listening to people who thinks it does, is just obscene. It's the UAA, always has been and until there is change there, there won't be change in the football program.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I understand it the UAA is not allowed to fund or control NIL. UF, f$u and Ut haven been under investigation re: crossing that line.

That’s why they created the “collectives” - to pool money for athletes to represent the program/university, most of whom who don’t get billboards and radio/TV spots.

NIL is a huge deal for the 5% of players who are difference makers. It should settle down for the other 95% who should listen to coaches stressing development and life after football etc.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can't wait until April 15th.
These twits and their "salaries" are going to realize they're 1099's and have to pay taxes on their "earnings".
IRS is going to have a field day.
87,000 “new agents” ready to spring into action? It’s all starting to make sense now :lol:

IMG_0334.jpeg

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Both of our OT transfers in are rated higher than Tarquin.

Oklahoma lost 2 of the top 6 rated OTs per 247 and their starting QB. But they signed Tarquin.
And they are expected to finish in the top 5 of the SEC next year.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It seems like scores in the 70s were Cs, but maybe you're a lot older than I am. :lol:

All the same, it's fair to say that there isn't a lot of great talent in the portal.
Where I went to HS, 70-76 was a D and 77-84 was a C, so actually 3 (not 2 as I thought) had better than a D or an F. Stil…..

As for being older, I think I’m about avg for GCMB, so I definitely old.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Imagine reading a post that says Napier could be better than bangs and keeping a straight face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.